Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2002, 03:13 PM   #11
DeSoya
Manshoon

Isn't Expedia an american company? Isn't it owned/run by Microsquick (microsoft)? Wouldn't that have some relevence on who's the bestest tourists? [img]smile.gif[/img] From my limited experiences us Americans are really very rude. Speaking loudly doesn't mean the Spainards will understand you... but that's what some of people seem to think. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I must say that the Japanese tourists in Hawaii are pretty rude too.

DeSoya
Old 07-19-2002, 03:18 PM   #12
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Odd, I thought that Danes were the worst. We certainly have a pretty damn awful reputation in some parts of the world [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I see that completely different, ever seen Danish footballhooligans ? While the Dutch, English, French, Germans, Italians and Spanish are all smashing eachothers heads in, The Danes just get drunk and make a lot of noise, that's not so bad ! [/QUOTE]That's sorta part of the reason why we're considered rude tourists As far as I've heard [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2002, 04:37 PM   #13
The Collective
Manshoon

Davros Collective here - Well I imagine MagiK ole bean, that if you take a poll in an area where lots of Brits go for cheap holidays in the sun, and (by comparison) few Americans go - well you expect that sort of bias. I can give you my poll of 3 tours of Scotland - a place where many American's go - they are talked about as being the worst tourists. Good tippers mind you, but sometimes the treatment handed out to the locals is just too much to swallow.

(eg. Caddie who has had too much arrogant crap from an American player - "Hold on their sir, don't hit yet, you have a bit of shite on the end of your club - no sir, other end")

Let's face it, people who wear baseball caps and sunglasses to dinner in a 5 star silver service restaraunt may have plenty of money, but they are a few sanwdiches short of a picnic.

From conversations I have had, and observations about the breakfast table, Germans tend to have a reputation for wanting everything they paid for plus a lot more (ie I have seen a few fill up at the breakfast buffet, then make several bacon and egg sandwiches to take with them for lunch.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:03 PM   #14
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by DeSoya:

You must have had some bad experiences. I thought they were alright. They even payed to see us jump from the top of a waterfall to take pictures
Old 07-19-2002, 05:29 PM   #15
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

In my youth I went to a few of the more "touristy" holiday destinations e.g. Ibiza, Majorca, Greek Islands etc.

IMHO, it's the nations that have a repressed attitude to alochol consumption and an over-inflated idea of their importance vis-a-vis the local population that showed the worst behaviour.

In these categories were, amongst others....

a) Club 33 Scandinavians in Ibiza. I mean aquavit for breakfast!!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1drool.gif[/img]

b) Brits in Kos. Walking around chanting "Toon Army" all night might be the hight of chic in the Bigg Market, but it does nothing to impress the natives [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Just my 2c.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 07-19-2002, 06:27 PM   #16
MagiK

Quote:
Isn't Expedia an american company? Isn't it owned/run by Microsquick (microsoft)? Wouldn't that have some relevence on who's the bestest tourists? [img]smile.gif[/img] From my limited experiences us Americans are really very rude. Speaking loudly doesn't mean the Spainards will understand you... but that's what some of people seem to think. [img]smile.gif[/img]

DeSoya
Well according to their website, it doesn't appear to have any connection to microsquish...and it still does nto explain why they would skew the results so that the UK is worst and Germany the best...I think it is more likely that they did an honest survey and just published the results. They gain nothing by dissing the Brits and gain not a lot more by praising the Germans.

Old 07-19-2002, 06:35 PM   #17
MagiK

Ok correct me if Im wrong here..but what you all are saying....

1. Expedia made up the data to make Americans look good
2. Expedia had ulterior motives to make the UK appear bad
3. Expedia for some reason likes the Germans and wants them happy
4. Expedia aside from stating that they went to some rather upscale places, really only went to places where middle class Brits go.
5. a Brittish publication published this article but failed to point out the conspiracy taking place.

Errr perhaps the men who fly the black helicopters and cover up alien abductions are involved?

Ahh well Im sure the Americans are still just too rude for the refined manners of the rest of the world...imagine eating dinner without dressing properly [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2002, 07:38 PM   #18
DeSoya
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Ok correct me if Im wrong here..but what you all are saying....

1. Expedia made up the data to make Americans look good
2. Expedia had ulterior motives to make the UK appear bad
3. Expedia for some reason likes the Germans and wants them happy
4. Expedia aside from stating that they went to some rather upscale places, really only went to places where middle class Brits go.
5. a Brittish publication published this article but failed to point out the conspiracy taking place.

Errr perhaps the men who fly the black helicopters and cover up alien abductions are involved?

Ahh well Im sure the Americans are still just too rude for the refined manners of the rest of the world...imagine eating dinner without dressing properly [img]smile.gif[/img]
I think that what's really going on is that those of us who are American's on the board have taken a huge hit to our national pride. So we are doing our best to cover it up by pointing fingers at the company that did the survey. If their survey isn't wrong than something else is... [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] I demand that we retain the "Rudest Tourists In The World" standing. Come on guys.... Get out there and do you work!!! [img]graemlins/fighting.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

DeSoya
Old 07-19-2002, 07:58 PM   #19
Moni

Quote:

DeSoya
You really must have had a bad experience or just a horrible nightmare.
I have never met a rude Japenese person anywhere, ever, and that includes Hawaii.

I'll cast my vote for the Mexican tourists...filthy, rude, mean, and worst of all cheap...yeah, spend our American dollars like they are going out of style and then tip me in pesos...another million of these and I can buy myself a 39 cent hamburger! If they went farther than the U.S. the rest of the world would have no problem knowing who to put at the top of the list.

[ 07-19-2002, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 07-19-2002, 08:16 PM   #20
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
quote:

DeSoya
You really must have had a bad experience or just a horrible nightmare.
I have never met a rude Japenese person anywhere, ever, and that includes Hawaii.

I'll cast my vote for the Mexican tourists...filthy, rude, mean, and worst of all cheap...yeah, spend our American dollars like they are going out of style and then tip me in pesos...another million of these and I can buy myself a 39 cent hamburger! If they went farther than the U.S. the rest of the world would have no problem knowing who to put at the top of the list.
[/QUOTE]I'm with ya on this one Moni, and I should add the HORDES of construction crews literally talking over every facet of building, its getting so a person cant get work anymore [img]redface.gif[/img]