Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-22-2002, 11:21 PM   #11
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I just realized now what white you meant... hehehe thanks

Hmm I sleep late, and that can contribute... that's why it's semi white LOL But I ain't no walking dead [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2002, 11:28 PM   #12
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Well originally I was gonna try to take this on myself, but I decided to get a bit of help when I decided that the year could always get worse for me, even though it's pretty damn bad already. I'm hoping that I won't have to go to anything stronger, and if I need to... then I'll seek help from something other than prescription medication, since I don't need help that much. I think that a lot of this might be old stress though, I had a mental breakdown last year at school and I've been in stressful situations quite a bit in the past year. I think that being straight edge might be adding stress, but it's worth it to not take some coward's way out. [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't believe it's anemia since I just did that check, but I'll keep an eye out for it. [img]smile.gif[/img] Possibly if I have to keep going after three or six months they'll do a blood test, since that would be very serious...

And Tia, I'm already insane! [img]graemlins/evillaughter1.gif[/img]

*HUGS* to Moni and *handshake* to the others [img]smile.gif[/img] (I don't hug guys, sorry )
You're doing the right thing, looking out for yourself and your health. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You are at an age where all aspects of life are experienced at extremes and stress is not one you want to carrying into your adult life with you...you're looking at ulcers, heart problems, emotional distress...crap that can bury the real you, the HAPPY you under whack chemicals your brain is creates because of a lack of constructive outlets for aggression, stress, and all the negativity that life can hand you.

Do take a look at all that you are feeling and sort out what is "yours" and what isn't...find constructive ways to deal with what is yours and let the rest go man....you can't carry other people's problems around with you when you have enough of your own, you know?

Remember too that you can always stay away from drugs and alcohol and not have to follow the straight edger's "rules"....it can get to be gang-like and you need to be yourself, not a mold of what others want you to be! My son has some hardcore straight edge friends but by standing up for his personal values and ideals of what makes him him, he is still accepted by them as a friend without being pushed to be a carbon copy of what they represent. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Feel free to dump any or all of it on us here...talking about things and getting other's perspectives can sometimes make what you thought was a hard situation to deal with a piece of cake. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We're here for you Cody!

Old 04-22-2002, 11:31 PM   #13
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
I just realized now what white you meant... hehehe thanks

Hmm I sleep late, and that can contribute... that's why it's semi white LOL But I ain't no walking dead [img]smile.gif[/img]
I constantly have to watch my nails for anemia...I've been dealing with it since I was a kid...excessive sleeping is a sign, not a cause (and is usually what reminds me to take a look at my nails LOL).
Even semi-white showing under your nails needs to be taken seriously...if it is into your middle finger, try a multivitamin with iron or a daily iron supplement and see if it makes a difference...just remember to take it with a full glass of water and eat your vegetables young man! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]

[ 04-22-2002, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 04-22-2002, 11:41 PM   #14
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Trust me Moni, if I have any extra agression or emotion I'll rant some more on IW and let it all out. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm hoping ot avoid any of those problems too, so I need to find some sort of way to relax... I've heard meditating works wonders. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've avoided the straight edge gang-like rules, I don't beat the crap out of people just because they're not like me, I took the lessons from fellow straight edgers and punkers Anti-flag.
As long as you're all here to hear my aggression and reply to my rantings I'll put them on here. [img]smile.gif[/img] Expect a lot of it in a few months if nothing good happens at band camp, btw.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:51 PM   #15
Moni

Meditation is GREAT!
It can really help you to develop focus...totally necessary when you need to find solutions, answers, outlets and even to sort out what to let go (some things just can't be changed but it doesn't mean you have to stress on them).

The relaxation aspect of meditation is very helpful to your overall well being. I'd recommend it if you are willing to get into it.

We're here for you, like I said...rant away if you feel like you have to...you have people here who will listen and at least try to help. [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.S. Set out to have fun and relax at band camp...that's what it is for! I hope you get to enjoy it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-22-2002, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 04-23-2002, 03:46 AM   #16
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Hey cody!
Man I am sorry to hear that you are down!
I hope the medication you are taking helps you out....don't be surprised though if after taking them that you end up feeling the same way you did prior to...you'll end up going back for more or stronger prescriptions and what you really want to be doing is altering the chemicals your brain makes naturally. Get into doing things that make you happy and keep doing them until you feel like yourself again...it takes time but you shouldn't end up coiunting on prescriptions to keep you happy OK?!

Start saying no to the people that have you doing things you would really rather not (except your parents lol)!

My last piece of advice (and it is important!)...let go of everyone else's stress, it is not yours to carry.

Moni
Great advice Moni [img]smile.gif[/img] . Sephy I hope you start feeling better soon, I'm sorry you have to be going through this, it's so common for teenagers and adults as well, but knowing you're not alone's pretty small compensation for feeling so low all the time.

Did you see a doctor, Sephy, or a mental health professional? I am sceptical about anti-depressants. Depression, however it is manifested, is not merely, as many people say I think to justify it as a legitimate illness, a chemical imbalance. Depression comes from the way we think, the way we explain things to ourselves, our situation, our family, and so on. If you take a pill, you're treating the chemicals - but it is not a long-term solution. I actually think the chemical imbalance is a symptom, not a cause. When you stop taking the pill, if you haven't dealt with the underlying causes of your downness then you'll like as not fall into the same trap again. If before you took the pill you told yourself you were worthless (for example), then when you stop taking the pill this type of negative thinking isn't going to have changed. IMHO, I think anti-depressants should be taken in conjunction with counselling or not at all. They merely make you think you're better so you don't do anything to deal with what's really causing your feelings, and when you eventually stop taking them you haven't learnt anything. I'm not an expert, but I'm learning, and I would really advise going to see a counsellor if you haven't already [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2002, 04:28 AM   #17
Vampire

they have pills to make you happy? *joyful glee* can I have one? [img]smile.gif[/img]

No seriously why do u need to take pills?? Chat to me on MSN next time Cody...
Old 04-23-2002, 04:59 AM   #18
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Did you see a doctor, Sephy, or a mental health professional? I am sceptical about anti-depressants. Depression, however it is manifested, is not merely, as many people say I think to justify it as a legitimate illness, a chemical imbalance. Depression comes from the way we think, the way we explain things to ourselves, our situation, our family, and so on. If you take a pill, you're treating the chemicals - but it is not a long-term solution. I actually think the chemical imbalance is a symptom, not a cause. When you stop taking the pill, if you haven't dealt with the underlying causes of your downness then you'll like as not fall into the same trap again. If before you took the pill you told yourself you were worthless (for example), then when you stop taking the pill this type of negative thinking isn't going to have changed. IMHO, I think anti-depressants should be taken in conjunction with counselling or not at all. They merely make you think you're better so you don't do anything to deal with what's really causing your feelings, and when you eventually stop taking them you haven't learnt anything. I'm not an expert, but I'm learning, and I would really advise going to see a counsellor if you haven't already [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QB]
I agree Aelia. I used to take anti-depressants, and, sure, they made me sleep better, I didn't get upset that quickly anymore and my concentration was better. I thought everythink was okay, so I stopped taking them after 8 months. But 2 months later I was where I was before I started taking the pills. And that made me feel even worse because I thought I was so worthless that not even pills could help me. It only started getting better when I started dealing with everything. Pills don't change anything if you don't learn how to deal with your problems and change the way you look at yourself.

Sephiroth, I'd suggest (like some other people have already) that you do things you like, surround yourself with people you like and, if you haven't already, get help from a therapist because they'll really know how to help you. [img]smile.gif[/img] Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2002, 05:40 AM   #19
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
I agree Aelia. I used to take anti-depressants, and, sure, they made me sleep better, I didn't get upset that quickly anymore and my concentration was better. I thought everythink was okay, so I stopped taking them after 8 months. But 2 months later I was where I was before I started taking the pills. And that made me feel even worse because I thought I was so worthless that not even pills could help me. It only started getting better when I started dealing with everything. Pills don't change anything if you don't learn how to deal with your problems and change the way you look at yourself
Yes that's true [img]smile.gif[/img] . I think anti-depressants, and anti-anxiety drugs for that matter, are 'addictive' because firstly they don't treat the real problem so when you stop taking them you are still depressed so have to keep taking them to keep feeling better, and also because if you don't learn practical and non-medicational ways of making yourself feel better and stop feeling blue, you think the only way to feel better is to take drugs - it's the only thing you can do. And that's not empowering at all - if you can learn coping skills and how to make yourself happy without drugs you'll know you'll always be able to cheer yourself up if you start feeling depressed again. If you take anti-depressants, you'll learn that the only way to feel better is to take more.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:41 AM   #20
Epona
Zartan

Cody, I hope you start to feel better soon.

I've never suffered from depression of any kind whatsoever - sure I've had times when I've been miserable or upset for one reason or another, who hasn't? - but depression is a very different thing.

Bahamut - don't panic about the anaemia thing -that is something I *have* had, only mildly though (I'm not a big fan of spinach, LOL) and believe me, if you were anaemic you would know there was something wrong! For 3 months I felt as if I were going to die - I didn't even have the energy to walk for 10 yards without holding onto something, constantly dizzy and lightheaded, muscle pain, falling asleep every time I sat down! Unless you feel ill, don't worry about stuff like that, eh?