Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
Mystique
The Magister

Hello, i just got an idea while playing Bg2 today.

Spolier ahead!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Okay, when you have gotten the 15.000 needed to go get Imoen, you have two options.

Shadow thieves - Evil band of thieves, tortures people, blackmailing, general evil.

Vampires - Evil bloodsuckers, kills innocents, quite morbid creatures, and very evil aswell.

Now, notice that the word "evil" occurs in both of the descriptions, and since evil is the opposite of good, and if done alot, will shatter the balance for "neutral" characters. Now, listen to this:

Harpers - Neutral band of people, does not like evil, but they are not quite good either, now are they?

That is why i suggest a mod to be made, that creates a THIRD choice in getting Imoen, the harpers. And here is my opinion on how it could be done.

When you get out of chateu Irenicus, he kills the Shadow Theives, the Cowled wizzies come to the rescue, takes him and Imoen with them. Then when they have ported away, someone else ports in, right next to you, and (if you have one) your party.

1. Harper (No name yet) - "We have been watching you and your friend, she who just got kidnapped by the cowled ones. We know, they may seem to uphoold some form of "order", but inside, they all cary black hearts."

2 a) [CHARNAME] - I see, and who are you?
3 b) [CHARNAME] - Could you leave me alone? I have to go get Imoen.

4 Response to a) Harper - "I am one of those who harp, no more needs to be said."
Response to b) Harper - "Ah but you see, this is exactly what we can do."

5 Response to a). [CHARNAME] - Right, so what do you want?
Response to b). [CHARNAME] - Yeah right, get away from me.

6 Response to a). Harper - "We can get you to where Imoen is, and the magician who went with her, for a small fee."
Response to b). Harper - "That is quite foolish of you. All we want is to maintain some form of balance, and if you despise us, be assured, you will certainly be approached by far, far, evil entities, but as you wish. I will begone. [Dimension door away.]"

7 Response to a). [CHARNAME] - And what´s this "fee"?

8 Response to a). Harper - 17.000 golden lions, and, a few tasks.

9 d), Resonse to a). [CHARNAME] - 17.000! That is quite alot, but i may be able to manage it.
e), Response to a). [CHARNAME] - That is too much for me.
f), Response to a). [CHARNAME] - I see, and what are these, "tasks"?

I havnt come op with anything else, but basicly, if you accept, it would lead to a few neutral good/evil tasks, paying their fee, and some cool dialouge with Jaheira if she would be in your party.

So, what do you think?

[ 12-01-2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Mystique ]
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

VERY COOL IDEA!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Only problem is that you would still have to tie the Harper Journey into the Sauhagin and Underdark portions of the game. Of course, I suppose you could have the Sauhagin attack the Harper boat just as easily as they did the pirate's ship.

I DO like the idea of having a Neutral option available to get the PC to Spellhold. It would be nice if a Good option existed too - perhaps by approaching the Order of the Radiant Heart.

I'm no good at programming, but I'll try to offer some suggestions as to what "tasks" might be appropriate for the Harper's to request.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
Riftmaker
Elminster

There's no reason you can't just link it to Saemon's boat. Saemon's neutral, so I don't see why you just can't do that. At least the betrayal at the docks would make sense then.

I agree with the idea of using the harpers...who are more good than neutral (hey, they go around hunting EVIL dragons).

Also, there needs to be an alternate way to deal with Rayic Gethras. You need to be able to convince him (using Int or Chr) to just leave Edwin alone. You could accomplish this by threatening him, bribing him, or simply convincing him that Edwin isn't worth the time.

This would let you avoid killing him, and the Virtue hit.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

Aside from the Harpers, a fourth party could also be the Cowled Wizards.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I remember Six talking about how this would be a good idea, and I completely agree. The only problem is finding someone who knows how to *do* it with enough time to do it. I'd do it myself if I knew how.
Unfortunately, I just know how to make items and spells, and write good dialogue. But if there's anyone who knows more...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
SimDing0
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Riftmaker:
Also, there needs to be an alternate way to deal with Rayic Gethras. You need to be able to convince him (using Int or Chr) to just leave Edwin alone. You could accomplish this by threatening him, bribing him, or simply convincing him that Edwin isn't worth the time.
The next version of Quest Pack will include a way of dealing with Rayic/Edwin that won't incur a Virtue hit, designed by your very own SixOfSpades, no less. Don't expect to be able to talk him out of it, however.
SimDing0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:36 PM   #7
Riftmaker
Elminster

Well that's nice...I'm expecting that it will involve a bribe.

Anyway, the Cowled Wizards wouldn't want to *help* the PC. They wouldn't want the PC anywhere NEAR spellhold. Heck, they would try to STOP the PC.

But yeah, need harper alternative.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:27 PM   #8
Malthaussen
Manshoon

The Radiant Heart might be a choice for a "good" alternative to the thieves or vamps, although the fact that they are also lawful complicates things -- the CW are operating within the law, after all, and for all we know the RH might agree that "deviants" should be confined to Spellhold.

I like the Harper idea, but it does have the problem of conflicting with the existing Harper storyline. The boss Harper of Athkatla, after all, wants to use the character for his own purposes, so it is hard to think he'd also turn around and help the character. But some form of third alternative would be welcome -- as my sig says, I'm all for it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Come to think of it, the Harper alternative could combine with the existing storyline without a conflict: just have the character betrayed by the Harpers instead of having them keep up their end of the bargain. After the character whacks the boss, he could find some means of bribing/blackmailing Saimon to take him to Spellhold. Needs work, but it might do.

-- Mal

[ 12-01-2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Malthaussen ]
Old 12-01-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

There are atleast two mods which aim to do a similar thing to this. ThirdWay (see the link in my signature), and one by khayman. Unfortunately, it slips my mind where Khayman's is hosted, and what it is called. I've no doubt that someone will aid my memory soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, both are currently idle (Khayman's was last I checked, anyway. That could since have changed), but Andrewas and I have been considering a few things that should help breath some life back into Limbo and the work we seek to do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Deleted accidental almost-duplicate...

[ 12-02-2004, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #10
rily83
Dungeon Master

Yeah I am quite sure the cowled wizards wouldnt want you there. Unless they needed your help to take out jonny, but that would make the whole scene with jonny showing you all inmates totally ridiculous.
I like the Harper idea and maybe you can get them to fight Bodhi in chapter 6 which is real cool. On the other hand, Jaheira's quests will be affected, so unless you can think of a way to get everything to blend together......