Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #41
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

Well, I am still fascinated when I see threads here about people replaying even BG2 in Ironman mode or somesuch. Maybe I'm just spoiled by new and shiny. I find it to be like 80's cartoons - fondly remembered in the past but horrible in the present.

I am secretly hoping this is a BG3 announcement - although it seems a bit too low-key for that. Even the Tablet versions would be a welcomed addition over HD graphics applied to same old game.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #42
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Details are a bit sketchy but here's one announcement:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/15/atar...r-summer-2012/

Sounds like a HD remake to me.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 03-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #43
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It's down. An enhanced edition implies more than just HD, to me at least.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #44
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
It's down. An enhanced edition implies more than just HD, to me at least.

Here's the Beamdog announcement. No clarification on exactly what "enhanced edition" means. If this was BG3, then they would be screaming that from the rafters. LOL

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...&id=6ae2f577cd

"Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love," Beamdog chief and Baldur's Gate veteran Trent Oster tweeted following the announcement, "made by some of the original team members."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news..._campaign=news

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 03-15-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #45
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

Yeah it's no BG3, but gladly it is more than just HD. Otherwise we would be calling it BG HD right now after the announcement. Anyways, aren't there mods that render it in HD already? I can't remember. Usually with "enhanced" versions of games they add optimizations and limited content that doesn't reinvent the game but does update and streamline it.

The Witcher for example, saw reduced loading times, Ui optimizations and many new animations and monsters. From Wikipedia.

Quote:
At Game Developers Conference 2008, CD Projekt announced an enhanced version of the game which was released on September 16, 2008. The significant changes featured in the enhanced version are over 200 new animations, additional NPC models and recoloring of generic NPC models as well as monsters, vastly expanded and corrected dialogues in translated versions, improved stability, redesigned inventory system and load times reduced by roughly 80%.[30][31][32] In addition all bugs are said to be fixed and the game manual completely overhauled. There are also two new adventures available to play through: Side Effects and The Price of Neutrality. A new option is to mix and match ten different languages of voice and subtitles. For instance, players can now choose to play the game with Polish voices and English subtitles. Other featured languages are Russian, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Czech, Hungarian and Chinese.
So take heart, given that they have even pimped the project out to another dev, this may indeed be the closest thing to a new BG fans will get anytime soon.

Since The Witcher is relatively new and the time between versions quite short in context, I expect a myriad of changes to BG in comparison. 14 years leaves alot of improvements to be made as they update the game for a modern audience with modern technology. I would guess the following to be included. All guesswork and speculation btw.

- HD textures with recolors. Prolly HD sound too.
- Compatible high resolutions (a given).
- New animations (hopefully all of the spell animations or maybe only a handful)
- New models.
- New UI or streamlined existing. I am almost certain those draconic dialogue boxes will be replaced. No more half of your screen taken up by an NPC convo. Prolly transparent boxes like NWN's.
- Spellcasting might become easier/more intuitive. Quickcast bars may be used.

Probably some new sidequests and/or incorporated mods. Possibly some new PC's. If they do include new PC's you can be sure they will release some as premium content making them "purcahse only". Another way to milk an existing franchise for more. You can also be sure they will make a killing on premium DLC's just like Bioware did with Dragon Age - was prolly a selling point when they pitched it.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #46
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

The site now says:

Quote:
-- Chapter One. --
-- There will be more chapters. --
-- More chapters than you think. --
so definitely new content. As long as it is still Infinity Engine then modding items, spells, scripts, etc. won't change, either.

Summer 2012, eh? To think that at this time last year I was under the impression that I probably wouldn't buy any more games--ever--because I dislike FPS so much (even though I will still get Fallout3 at some point--I am so behind the curve but I don't care). If the game will contain new content then I will definitely buy it.

In the meantime, I'll mark the site as a favorite. Between this and Wasteland 2, it looks like the near future will be interesting, from a gaming point of view.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #47
Micah Foehammer

Beamdog’s Trent Oster let a few additional details slip via Twitter:

“Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition will include the Tales of the Sword Coast Expansion”

Oster then goes on to say that Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition will be using 2nd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules. As well, the game will be “a Beamdog exclusive”, so that means that we at least for sure know that there will be a PC release. (But really, didn’t we already know that?) However, he then goes on to say the following:

“As for other platforms, tune in same time next week hopefully with 100% less explosions.”

Trent Oster has announced that there are actually two separate games on the way, an enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate and its Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, and an enhanced version of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and its Throne of Bhall expansion.

For me, this all boils down to the new content (i.e. new areas to explore, new quests, new encounters, possibly new npcs). If that's limited in scope, then I'll pass no matter what other enhancements they make. There are simply too many other new games I want, to spend money on a rehash of something I played several times years ago, no matter HOW good the graphic makeover is.

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 03-15-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #48
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

What serendipitous timing, then, that Noty and I recently dusted off SoA/ToB and worked our way through it. Of course, she wasn't happy that I had included various tweaks such as Tougher Illasera, Tougher Abazigal, Tougher Gromnir Il-Khan, etc. I also had Tougher Demogorgon (excuse me? *tougher* Demogorgon?) but she didn't fight him.

Currently, I have been tweaking BG2 to make the start of the game better--you get to keep a lot of items you would have gotten from BG1, the start dungeon has tougher monsters in it, etc. and you get to skip out of the initial cutscenes altogether (they take too long).

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #49
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
Beamdog’s Trent Oster let a few additional details slip via Twitter:

“Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition will include the Tales of the Sword Coast Expansion”

Oster then goes on to say that Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition will be using 2nd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules. As well, the game will be “a Beamdog exclusive”, so that means that we at least for sure know that there will be a PC release. (But really, didn’t we already know that?) However, he then goes on to say the following:

“As for other platforms, tune in same time next week hopefully with 100% less explosions.”

Trent Oster has announced that there are actually two separate games on the way, an enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate and its Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, and an enhanced version of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and its Throne of Bhall expansion.

For me, this all boils down to the new content (i.e. new areas to explore, new quests, new encounters, possibly new npcs). If that's limited in scope, then I'll pass no matter what other enhancements they make. There are simply too many other new games I want, to spend money on a rehash of something I played several times years ago, no matter HOW good the graphic makeover is.
I'm of the same mind. If the engine and UI overhaul are limited to barely noticeable tweaks, it won't be enough to justify suffering through it for me. Yesterday, when the rumor was that this is a HD version of Baldurs Gate and nothing more, I had already decided I will look at videos of it but will never bother playing. Why would I want to when I did already?

It all depends how lazy they are. More chapters are great. Reminds me of what they did with Thief Gold. But if this just turns out to be the exact same game it was 14 years ago with nothing other than some mods that add content, then i'll pass. I can get that online for free by adding fanmade mods. It needs an overhaul for 2012 to draw in anyone but die-hard fans. I am optimistic that it will get one but also cautious at just how extensive it will be.

Bah, Bioware just need to stop fricking around with their own fantasy offshoots, make nice with Hasbro/Atari/WotC and then remake BG using their modern Dragon Age engine. Then turn it into a trilogy and stfu. Clearly there is a huge clamoring for a new BG game.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #50
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thankfully they are definately updating the old Infinity Engine which is a great thing and promises many UI and scripting optimizations. It may look and run quite different to what we remember. This could make me actually play it.

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012...anced-edition/