Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-28-2002, 11:39 AM   #1
MagiK

Sherlock Holmes Goes Camping

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal and a bottle of wine, they got into the tent, laid down for the night, and went to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend awake. “Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see.”

Watson replied, “I see millions and millions of stars.”

“And what does that tell you?” Holmes questioned.

Dr. Watson pondered for a minute.

“Astronomically it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.”

“Astrologically I observe that Saturn is in Leo.”

“horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three.”

“Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant.”

“Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.”

“And what else does it tell you?” asked Sherlock.

Dr. Watson was confused and did not reply.

Finally Holmes said, “Watson, you are not thinking! What it tells you is that someone has stolen our tent!”

[img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Word Counts!

Pythagorean Theorem: 24 Words

The Lords Prayer: 66 words

Archimedes’ Principle: 67 Words

The 10 Commandments: 179 Words

The Gettysburg Address: 286 Words

The Declaration of Independence: 1300 Words

The US Government regulations on the sale of cabbage: 26,911 Words
[img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]smile.gif[/img]

Just 100 Years Ago

In the Summer of 1900:

Only 14% of the homes in the USA had a bathtub.

Only 8% of the homes had a telephone. A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost $11.

There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads. The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The average wage in the US was 22 cents an hour. The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year. A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year, a dentist $2500 per year, a Veterinarian between $1500 and $4000 per year and a mechanical engineer about $5,000.

Sugar cost 4 cents a pound. Eggs were 14 cents a dozen. Coffee cost 15 cents a pound.

More than 95% of all births in the US took place at home.

The five leading causes of death in the USA were: 1. Pneumonia; 2. TB; 3. Diarrhea; 4. Heart Disease; 5. Stroke.

The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska had not yet been admitted to the Union.

The population of Las Vegas Nevada, was 30. The remote desert community was inhabited by only a handful ranchers and their families.

Only 6% of all Americans had graduated High School.

Some Medical authorities warned that professional seamstresses were apt to become sexually aroused by the steady rhythm, hour after hour, of the sewing machine’s foot pedals. They recommended slipping bromide, which was thought to diminish sexual desire, into the women’s drinking water.

Marijuana, heroin and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, “Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.”

There were only 230 reported murders in the US annually. (I wonder how many gun laws they had?)

[ 10-28-2002, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 10-28-2002, 11:47 AM   #2
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Good work is all i can say, after all i'm not that eloquent [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2002, 11:48 AM   #3
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by whacky:
Good work is all i can say, after all i'm not that eloquent [img]smile.gif[/img]
I just wanted to post something fairly mindless [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for reading [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2002, 11:08 AM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Elementary my dear Watson!