Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-17-2001, 11:57 AM   #11
MrO
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I can attest to backstabbing with Katanas. I've got a multiclassed Elven Fighter/ Theif with dual weild (3*'s) and Katana and Short Sword (2*'s each) and have had some very very pretty backstabbs. Course when you've got a girlde that maxes your Str, and add in that 5X multiplier... let me say... very nice..

We call her the Whirling Dervish of Death.

Mr. O
Old 10-17-2001, 11:59 AM   #12
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Welcome to the boards MrO!

My cousin claims that he once did 200 points of damage with a backstab because he had a critical strike at the same time.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:21 PM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma_Malevois:
Not to disagree with the moderator or anything , but I'm afraid I have to disagree. I'm running a half-orc cleric/thief solo right now and he *does* do backstab damage with his quarterstaff - haven't tested out the club yet, though.

Mike

You can disagree with me anytime you want, as long as you can prove you're right.

------------------
Old 10-17-2001, 05:04 PM   #14
andrewas
Harper

can believe what that guy said about 200 w critical strike - i once got 42, with a short sword +2, with only a 3X modifier and standard str for imoen. which is 11 i think.

plus, just explain to me how you stab someone with a 3 inch thick bit of wood with no sharp points on it? from a role-play POV its impossible, no matter whether it works or not in the actrual game
Old 10-17-2001, 05:09 PM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
can believe what that guy said about 200 w critical strike - i once got 42, with a short sword +2, with only a 3X modifier and standard str for imoen. which is 11 i think.

plus, just explain to me how you stab someone with a 3 inch thick bit of wood with no sharp points on it? from a role-play POV its impossible, no matter whether it works or not in the actrual game
The reason it works in the game is that any attack made with a melee by a thief against a foes with his back towards the thief which also hits gets it's damage multiplied by the backstab multiplier.

Old 10-18-2001, 07:59 AM   #16
MrO
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well... think about the backstab with a staff more as a good solid crack against the back of the head, followed by some good based stabbs to the kidneys. You can knock a man clean out with a good blow to the back of the head, and then do some serious damage.

Mr. O
Old 10-18-2001, 09:47 AM   #17
mitsos

Although I don't know the D&D rules, I think that you should be able to backstab with any weapon, since in real life, you can kill someone even by hitting him with a wooden stick or a needle, if you know where to hit him.

[This message has been edited by mitsos (edited 10-18-2001).]

Old 10-18-2001, 11:53 AM   #18
Jim
Quintesson

It has always been possible to backstab using the staff of the ram, never tried other Q/S though. I've hit 350 points of damage using a kensai/thief with ***** in quarterstaves, **in 2-handed weapon style using the staff of the ram+6 and managing to pull off a grandmastery KAI critical quintuple backstab! He also had 25 STR at the time (from quaffing a potion of storm giant strength and wearing a symbol of Lathander).

Beat that
Old 10-18-2001, 02:34 PM   #19
Drawde1
The Magister

As Desuma_Malevois says, what determines whether or not a weapon is suitable for backstab is whether or not it's usable by a single-classed thief. This DOES include clubs and quarterstaves.
So as Valygar's katana is only usable by human rangers, and the Staff of the Magi is only usable by mages, these weapons can't be used to backstab even though they're types of weapon usable by thieves. (Valygar's weapon is fixed by the BG2 FixPack so he can backstab with it)