Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-15-2002, 01:38 PM   #1
twoeaglesone
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay i,m trying to get past the last 3 gaint trolls ,i cant seem
to get past the first one without major damage ,, what am i doing
wrong ?? dont wont to spoil ,, send e-mail two twoeagles1016@aol.com
twoeaglesone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

hmmn well the keep is owned by an old adventurer and his faverite weapon happens to be the bane of the trolls(reverse this if u want spoiling-3+sega fo lialf) which come in a cupple of pieces when you have that you should have no probs. also try all the basic combat bonus spells (haste, strength of one etc etc) and summon some animals for your aid and maybe if you have a couple in your spell list after all the combat bonuses cast a fireball or two in before your men go in at it
Felix
FelixJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 01:55 PM   #3
twoeaglesone
Elite Waterdeep Guard

okay i,m new at this BG , a friend of mine let me borrow it ,
first time at role playing also ( i,m used to strategy )so
thx for the input,, however i cant get past the golem,s either

would a dire charm , or other spell work on them ??to get the
other pieces
twoeaglesone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
syrneia
Dungeon Master

it's important to remember that BG is based an a decades old system established by TSR called Dungeons & Dragons
many of your most valuable resources are the actual manuals that they released regarding the fantasy world they created {eg rules of combat, or the lowdown of every creature you're going to meet {though BGII brings in some new variants}}
you can find most of this info posted online too of course
felix's suggestion is great too, and remember that combat is not always the answer to every situation {golems are highly magic resistant and are even healed or hasted by certain spells..}
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
with a 'fast' {hasted or boots of speed} improved invis character {so you can open the sarcophogi without revealing yourself}, duck in and loot the tomb before the guards {who are a little slow to wake up} catch you
the big guy {adamantite - hardest golem IMO in the game} gets stuck at the door and you can breathe a sigh of relief if he blocks the others behind him hehe
this was my mainstay weapon for the rest of the game - can't say how well it served me...

[ 07-15-2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: syrneia ]
syrneia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 02:26 PM   #5
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

wait! dont just leave them there you'll want there experience when you have the flail reforged go back and kill the adamantine and the one last golem (hmmn if you cudnt quite kill the others i think you should go back and do some minor quests to get more experience and then when you have killed those four take on the big guy and his bro(i suggest you make a note of which sarcophogi awaken which golems) because this experience is greatly needed it helps a lot and also use the same tactic as for the trolls (it always works with stupid opponents)
Felix
p.s. if the sarcophogi with the third head doesnt awaken the adamantine golem try re-assembling it before taking them on they can be quite hard.oh and if you have any sunlight/light based spells (sol's searign orb...tho that may be a couple of levels to high, would be great as adamntine doesnt fare too well against sunlight)
FelixJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 02:37 PM   #6
syrneia
Dungeon Master

Quote:
oh and if you have any sunlight/light based spells, sol's searing orb...tho that may be a couple of levels too high, would be great as adamantite doesn't fare too well against sunlight)
that's cool, i'm definitely going to have to check that out...
you should use crunching hehe weapons {clubs/maces/flails} on golems too {as with skeletons}
i agree totally that they are great xp, but you max out early in the game anyway {i found}, and if the fight is too tough for him {as it is a Very tough fight}, he should at least get the goodies non?
even if just to go down and thump the trolls before coming back
syrneia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 04:06 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Adamantine Golems, in my opinion, are quite possibly the most OBNOXIOUS enemies in the BG games. They're resistant to magic, and no matter what kind of weapon you use it always seems to only do 2 or 3 damage to it. Fortunately, there's a nifty little spell that lets you take them right out without worrying about magic resistance: Imprisonment. Just ship 'em off to a teensy little container, brush your hands off, and you're done! This also works on Beholders and just about any other enemy one could think of. I would advise against using it against any monster or enemy that has its own name rather than a generic one (eg TorGal instead of Troll, Arkanis instead of Shadow Thief) as they may have some good items or have some sort of plot connection.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 04:14 PM   #8
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

One good way to get the items if you can't kill the golems is to use the spell sanctury(1st level cleric). Simply send one character in with sanctury cast and pick up the items and stroll out again. With this tactic the golems won't even touch you although you'll miss out on alot of experience for not killing them.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:27 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Killing Golems: If you're worried about taking on 6 Golems at once, note that you can simply loot just 1 statue and fight the Golems 2 at a time.

Killing TorGal: He's tough, but he's actually very low-level. Try spells that take into account the number of Hit Dice the target has.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:31 PM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Golem- get it stuck in the doorway; use ranged weapons and spells.
The trolls at the end- go in there with an Invisible party member (Improved Invisibile mage or Hidden in Shadows thief) to initiate the dialogue, leave the rest of your party in the room that had the Umber Hulks. When the dialogue with Torgal is finished, go back out to your party; Torgal will follow, but the other trolls won`t. Have EVERYONE melee Torgal. He should go down VERY quickly. Then go back in and kill the other two; they`re easy now that there`s only two
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote