Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2002, 03:35 AM   #11
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I have nothing to add, as everyone else has summed up everything I could add quite nicely. I would like to say however, that this post is longer than your sig [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2002, 04:31 PM   #12
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Well while I didn't exactly start this as a pity thread, it seems it turned out that way LOL. Even so all of your advice helped keep my chin up, as well as my morale. [img]smile.gif[/img] You're all super people, I wish I could elaborate but I'm running low on vocabulary right now. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I don't know all of you too well, in fact the only ones I know better than just casual conversations are Neb, Aelia, GR, Bahamut, and Lennon, but I hope to get to know all of you much better in the future. [img]smile.gif[/img] And Moni, I hope you don't mind me saying that I found that story gave me a slight chuckle... your mom likes to plan ahead, doesn't she? [img]tongue.gif[/img] That's a pretty long time to hold a grudge for something as minor as that as well... thanks to everyone for their comments though. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2002, 04:54 PM   #13
Moni

LOL that is a pretty funny story isn't it! *chuckle*
Its too bad the guy had to get so mad at me for so long...what a waste of energy over someone who could have never made him truly happy you know?

I did not approach this thread as a pity thread for you...I just read what you wrote and had to respond because I am a firm believer in allowing people to be themselves.

Bahamut had some good advise about you connecting with your parents...just letting them know that you love them will do wonders! Never for a second should you think that they love you less for who you are...a parent's love is deep and it is embedded in their hearts forever. [img]smile.gif[/img] Just because they may be having a hard time dealing with the fact that your generation is not their generation and that your style is not what they wanted of you doesn't mean that they'll never accept you and the choices you make. Hang in there, life (with your parents at least lol) gets easier as you grow older. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Don't be afraid to come to your friends here for help, advice, or just an ear that will hear...perhaps you can even make a point by showing your family and friends that you can have good friends over the internet who care as much about you as if you lived in our own homes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best of Luck and Keep the Faith
[img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]
Moni

[ 04-16-2002, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 04-16-2002, 05:24 PM   #14
Dramnek_Ulk

d00d!
I cannot believe that people actually say that DnD is satanic.
I've NEVER had that, not even from my uncle who's quite frankly an Intolerant fundamentalist Christian nutcase.
Perhaps that’s just because I live in Britain though
Mind you people have mocked me once or twice for my lovely long hair, Well that’s Britain for you.
Oh, and how can on earth can you not drink alcohol?
I mean sure you get a little vomiting and an inability to remember what happened last night and feelings of low self worth, but you get to stagger around shouting stuff and breaking things (like doors) and you feel all warm and fuzzy inside for about the first half and hour.

Old 04-16-2002, 05:57 PM   #15
NihilisticCrusader
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The skeleton-rising-from-corpse thing is the whole reason people have that kind of attitude about D&D. You have to have something to kill. What else besides undead evil skeletons and zombies (liches, ghasts, specters...)? I can understand how people can consider it evil and everything, with all the spellcasting and wizards and demons, but once you actually get into it, you can see that all the lurking evilness is just the exterior. The real game is the variety of everything, and the incredible flexibility of the idea of D&D. The exterior is a necessary part though, because, after all, who would want to spend their game-time killing "good" enemies? And the whole magic/enchanted items system is one of the best parts of D&D. Again, it's more variety. A lot more, in this case.
D&D is not evil. Parts of it may seem evil, but that's not what the game is about.

Even looking from a neutral viewpoint, I don't think a 30-minute warm, fuzzy feeling is worth vomiting, hangovers, and smashing furniture. I don't know, maybe it's just me.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:15 PM   #16
skywalker
Banned User

Would it help if a 41 year old fart thinks your pretty damn okay? More people of your age group should be so mature! Hmmm. I should be so mature...I'm never going to grow up...uh uh!

Mark
Old 04-16-2002, 10:26 PM   #17
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Ah, I can only wonder what wonderful horrors showing my family IW could possibly bring down upon me! Well, they know about some of my deeper thoughts, so here's something that might happen...

Grandma: "Does the girl you like go here too?"
Me: "Yes."
*while reading a post by Galadria* Grandma: "Is that her?"
Me: "No grandma, she's married."
"What about her?" *grandma is now referring to Moni*
"So's she."
"How about that fellow?" Pointing to SSJ4Sephiroth*
"THAT'S ME!"

and so forth, and so on. [img]tongue.gif[/img] but I might show them anyways, just to see if something constructive might come from it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: I should probably say that it's mostly my family other than my mom and my brother ridiculing me for most of this stuff. The only real beef I have with mom is that she won't take me in for a psych exam

[ 04-16-2002, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: SSJ4Sephiroth ]
Old 04-16-2002, 10:36 PM   #18
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Well I for one am a professional musician, and a Christian, and I enjoy a good game of D&D. I think it's a great social connector, enhances the seeds of imagination, and is related to the acting craft.

I also think you're o.k. bro. Good on you for setting out a profession you're aiming for. I wish you all the best. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ditto - I also feel the same way about DnD - It can be Evil if you truly believe it is ... just because it talks about Demons and Demigods ect... I have a friend who used to play DnD with us every week, but he has "Found God" and doesn't think there is room for both, feels it is a conflict of interest, and has spoken repeatedly to each of us about how he feels we shouldn't play anymore. We have all just stopped talking to him about it... sad, really. We have worked the story line so that if he ever chooses to come back, he can, but....

Hang in there, friend. When you make it out and find people that are similar to you and have those friendships that are live long ones, it will make reaching your goals that much sweeter.

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 04-16-2002, 10:45 PM   #19
Moni

Quote:
Ah, I can only wonder what wonderful horrors showing my family IW could possibly bring down upon me!
ROFL I know just how you feel! My older brothers and sisters don't know I hang out here...as a matter of fact, if and when they ever e-mail me or chat with me it is to a completely different e-mail address and with a totally different screen name...to allow them to invade "my online world" would subject us all to espionage mixed with backstabbing gossip...not that it doesn't happen here lol but I would hate it for all of us if any of my siblings were behind it...they took their lesson's from Satan's closest, most trusted advisor, our mother lol.

Siblings can be tough...I won't even go into it since I never made any headway in developing good relationships with the older ones...they refuse to allow it to this day. I hope that is not the case with you!

Grandparents will always think there way is right LOL! There's no getting around it but to tell them that you wish they were your age again so that they could see just how fun it all is.

Edit: Oh yeah...I am not married...but I am probably older than your mom. I don't think they would approve.

[ 04-16-2002, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 04-16-2002, 10:54 PM   #20
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

So its been said!
Why is it that most of the people who have clear goals of what they want in life, real goals, not like the pro sports u mentioned Sephy, are shunned by the so called 'populars'? Popularity is so highly over-rated.

Ive been in the band since i was in 4th grade, and although at my school, we band geeks arent treated like the ones in American Pie(and yes, i do go 2 band camp [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), we are still looked down upon. My best friends prick of an ex dumped her because he was ashamed of hanging out with a band chick(after they had been together 11 months). All the popular girls at my school, only in my grade ASMOF, seem to hate me, i never even talk to them. Sorry if i dont dye my hair blonde like u guys(i mean theyre blonde to begin with)! While they talk of the latest guy theyve cheated on, im doing my english homework. Actually this is making me mad, thinking about it, grrr, o well. I plan to major in some kind of electronics, and minor in music, so i can get a full time job as a pilot, and maybe do some big-bands gigs in between. They seem like that chick from Legally Blonde, thats what theyre goal is (im talking her college life b4 she goes to Harvard lol), b in a serority...*shudder* thanks for posting this Cody, its giving me stuff 2 think of 2!
*Big hugs!* We luv ya!