Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2001, 11:37 PM   #1
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

This was inspired by Liliara's dream thread. She mentioned writing down dreams and nightmares so that they could be reflected upon and remembered. This is one that may be of some interest. However, I didn't want to slap a huge post in the middle of her thread and obstruct any further conversation so I decided to give it it's own thread.

This is an excerpt from an account of a dream I had some time ago. I'm unsure as to it's meaning (if any), but it seemed important that I write it down at the time. Anyway, enough of my bluster. Make what you will of it.

Enjoy!

Soul’s End

An angel walked step by step across the empty pavement. His white wings were folded tightly against his back, braced against the waxing and waning breeze that flicked haphazardly about the deserted street. He was deep in thought, and his head hung low, allowing his cold blue eyes to stare distantly at the asphalt beneath his feet. More then anything, he was tired, and this silent, lonely morning was not helping to stir his senses. As he thought, a look of sadness crept over his face and his eyes narrowed slightly. He stopped and looked up to the sky above. It was clear and sunny, but the wind was making it a little colder then it would normally have been. The crisp air passed between his lips as he spread his wings and opened his arms, taking a deep breath. Then he let it out slowly, his wings folding back almost involuntarily as he did so. Looking down the street, he shook his head and sighed. After a while of standing and taking in his surroundings for what almost seemed like the first time, he brushed out his long white coat and sat on the pavement in one fluid movement, placing his feet over the kerb. His elbow rested on his knee and he placed his chin in an open palm. Time passed.

After what could have been an eternity the angel was jerked from his revere by a soft female voice. "Hello!" it said. The angel smiled and looked up. He recognised the voice and confirmed what his ears told him as he cast his eyes upward. A young woman was standing next to him on the pavement. She smiled down at him, but he noted the concerned look in her usually sparkling brown eyes. Her shoulder length black hair was worn in a simple yet elegant style, and a single red rose nestled between the curls. "Hello, " he said standing and brushing himself off, "what can I do for you today?" Seeing that he had noticed the rose, she reached up and carefully removed it. She held it out to him with an embarrassed smile. "For you," she said. He looked at it for a few seconds the look of sadness re-appearing momentarily. The angel had spoken to this woman many times. She made him happy, yet she had never given him a gift before. He looked up at her. She blinked and a frown began to creep across her face. "Please?" she said, holding it towards him. Slowly he reached out with a hand and clasped the stem of the rose. Her hand let go as he drew the flower close and looked down at it. As he watched, the red of the rose began to twist almost as if the wind were whipping it like a brush mixing paint. Gradually, strands of white began to appear and then they spiralled out of control leaving a few flecks of red which were chased off the petals and then replaced as if they were never there, replaced by the brilliant white. The angel looked at it in despair. "I’m sorry," he whispered, handing it back. The girl hesitated, then seeing the looking in his eyes, took the flower from him.

The angel shook his head and looked away. "Was there something you wanted?" he asked softly. The girl hesitated. "Um, yeah," she replied eventually. "There is a small problem down at the park." The angel turned back to look at her, a serious expression on his face. "What sort of problem?" he asked. The girl gestured across the road in the vague direction of the park. "There’s a patch of grass near where the trees are," she said. "Many people have gathered around it and begun to cry."
"Cry?" the concerned look on the angel’s face deepened. "Why?"
"I don’t know. I have spoken to some of those that have shed tears there but they cannot explain it either." She looked down at the rose in her hands. "It seems there is a great sadness there," she twirled the stem slowly between her fingers. "Is there anything you can do?"
"I can try," he replied. The girl nodded with a smile and then watched in awe as the angel spread his wings…

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 09-10-2001).]
Old 09-10-2001, 11:44 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Wow! Sounds very cool. I have difficulty remembering my dreams in detail, they seem so clear in the morning, then by afternoon the urgency of work has crushed the dream out of me.

------------------
Old 09-10-2001, 11:45 PM   #3
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

I love the idea of this thread!

I also think this dream is very cool!

I have one that I may be able to post tomarrow. Actually, it's a poem from a dream.

I think it would be great though, if some of the other members here would turn their TRUE dreams into stories or poems.

What do you think Sharpedge?

Oh, of course you also, Memnoch...
------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

[This message has been edited by Liliara (edited 09-10-2001).]
Old 09-10-2001, 11:53 PM   #4
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
What do you think Sharpedge?

Sounds like an excellent idea, Liliara! I'd love to read about people's dreams, if they are happy to share them.

Consider this thread open season, then! If you've an interesting dream you'd like to share then post away, be it in the form of a story or a poem. Just keep it clean and observe the usual forum rules and I'm sure it'll be an extremely interesting and thought provoking experience for us all.

Thanks for the encouragement, Liliara. I look forward to reading your poetry.

------------------

Old 09-10-2001, 11:58 PM   #5
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Here we go!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member
Old 09-11-2001, 06:01 AM   #6
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hm... I almost never remember my dreams and I never dream this clearly - you might say that I do not 'see' or 'hear' anything in my dreams, sometimes it seems as if I am simply remembering what somebody else has told me... wait a minute, this isn't making any sense!

------------------

Kazara

Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-14-2001, 06:53 PM   #7
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Just bumping this up a bit. I've got some more stuff that I want to stick in here at a later date if people are still interested.

Liliara! Where art thou?

Kaz: I wouldn't say I dreamed the above dream as clearly as it is written. Like most people, my dreams are often fuzzy and confused and this was no exception. There were a few elements before and after which were not clear enough to be included. The above passage is more an extrapolation of feelings and images, rather then a word for word account.

Anyway, people, if you have a dream (funny or serious) that you'd like to share... please post it!

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 06:56 PM   #8
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

wierd......

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!

Old 09-14-2001, 07:15 PM   #9
Moni

I dreamed last night for the first time since Tuesday.
I had been studying for my math and Government tests prior to going to bed.
In my dream, all I saw was a woman in a 1950's type dress (full skirt, tight waist with a belt...a simple pale yellow, short-sleeved dress).
She had "tight", short, (curled under, but kind of wavy) hair and was standing in front of a blackboard with a piece of chalk in her hand, waving it about in front of a math problem that read in symbols only, (filled in with white chalk) rectangle + (filled in with white chalk) rectangle = (filled in with white chalk) rectangle. She kept waving her hand as she spoke but I never heard a word of what she was saying.
The dream, if that scene could be put into ten frames, kept playing from start to finish over and over and over again....that is all I dreamt.
When I took my math test today, there was an easy looking algebraic problem on the quiz (like, this + that = this) which stumped me because I could not get an answer that I could turn around to check the problem correctly with so I left it blank. I am sure it is the only one I got wrong.

I wonder if I had been able to hear the lady in my dream if I would have known what to do at test time?

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 07:39 PM   #10
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

LOL, well I dream all sorts of dreams every night. Too many to write down, but there have been a few that I DID write down cause they were just too frikken STRANGE!

Well, here goes, don't start jumping up and down afterwards pointing and laughing and yelling "freak! freak!"

Walking aimlessly around cement tan buildings with the yellow setting sun shining on their drabness. I walk to the end of a row of buildings and look around the corner to my left. As I walk around the corner I notice this reddish-purple gel-like droplets on the grass everywhere. At some places they are just one huge mass/clump of gel. I then see one of these big clumps in front of me, and I see the center of it start to rise. It raises up about a foot 1/2 tall and it's top has this round appendage that is about the size of a grapefruit. No face on it or anything. But is scares the shite out of me and I leave it alone and continue on onto this grassy/hilly open space. There are people there, but I can't remember who they are. Maybe nobody I know, just strangers. Anyway, somewhere along the line I find myself participating in some kind of weird game, like a game on a computer, but in real-life. I am somehow able to fly around and I'm doing this, and eventually I crash into one of the grassy hills. I'm thinking to myself "Oh God, I'm dead." I see then before my eyes a bright staticy flash and then I am just lying on the ground, looking at green grass in front of my face. I get up and realize I am not dead! I think to myself "Oh, that's right, I'm in a game, which means I get more tries"! So I go flying again, and again crash... again, crash....again...crash. Now at this point I am confident that I must have "unlimited lives" because I have gone over the usual "three tries and yer out." So, once again, I fly. And I am on my way once again heading towards a hillside at a fast rate knowing another crash is inevitable and I all of the sudden hear the people watching below me say "Oh NO" all at the same time. I only have a millisecond to comprehend what they may have meant when I then crash into the ground for the last time. When I look up I see the people who were watching me leaving. I try to lift up, but can't seem to get very high and I feel restricted and low to the ground somehow. It then dawns on me that I am now one of those "blobules", those gel-like figures I earlier saw scattered about. As I again try to lift up and stand, the memory of that one rising blobule in front of me comes to mind, and I think to myself "That is me right now. That is what I look like. All those blobules were people like me who lost the game!" Then the thought comes to me "Oh no, would if I can't move now! Am I to live like this just sitting here a blobule"?! So again I try to move forward, and this time I DO move a little. But it feels like I am floating really low to the ground. So then I think "OK, at least I can move around. Not so bad for being dead." Then I look behind me and see I have apparently been leaving a glistening trail of purple reddish droplets along the grass. I realize then that yes, I CAN move, but to do so is to diminish myself. Once I move around so much, will I then become just a droplet? After that if I move, will I then soon just plain disappear? Then what? As I am thinking this, I see these two pairs of female barefoot legs in shorts go by in front of me, and they step in some of my droplets. One was a woman, and one was a young girl of about 10. The little girl says "Ewwww, what's that"??! I then completely panic. Wishing they would just go on about their business and leave my essence alone. I'm afraid they will return and bring a hose along or something, and wash my droplets away, then what would happen to me? As the child trods more on my droplets, all I can think to myself is "Stop! you are walking on ME"! But unfortunately I have no voice.

Then I wake up, a bit cross-eyed.

And that's it, the weirdest dream so far I have ever had in my entire life!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 09-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 09-14-2001).]