Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2003, 01:58 AM   #1
Haldir
Manshoon

How is to be an archer? I never tryed, but I would like to? What are the good things when using archer (ability?), good equipment???
Old 09-29-2003, 02:06 AM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

We just had the Archer shine in the "lowest THAC0" thread. Nobody except the Kensai can get THAC0 lower than the Archer with a proper Bow.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:25 AM   #3
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Archers are the masters of hit and run attacks (with a possible exception of an assasin with a bow) once you get the boots of speed, you are almost unstoppable... as long as you dont run out of room to run... or run into something fast that can see invisible (hiding) creatures (read: dragon)

I think i'll get back into the archer, try a solo no-reloads game with one. Archers are one of my favorite character classes, and yet i have never finished the game with one. I have major problems kiling dragons with them.

So any help with killing dragons with a SOLO archer would be appreciated.

[ 09-29-2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: White Lancer ]
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:07 AM   #4
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:
[b] So any help with killing dragons with a [i]SOLO[\b][\i] archer would be appreciated.
If you don't mind some cheesy stuff - Cloak of Mirroring will protect from their breath. Otherwise you can use potions or green scrolls to protect from their breath attack. (+ Armor of Faith)

Oil of Speed and Boots of Speed for fast movement, Potion of Clarity to protect from Fear (or Greenstone Amulet ) and other psycho stuff.

Summons for distractions - Kitthix, Moondog figurine, Staff of Fire and Air for the elementals, ...

Arrows of Dispelling for Stoneskin, Arrows of Bitting for killing.

Run a lot and shoot ! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2003, 08:15 AM   #5
Devv
The Magister

...and if anything goes invisible, you're screwed till they choose to reappear :0
Devv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Devv:
...and if anything goes invisible, you're screwed till they choose to reappear :0
There is a certain long sword with a cool ability to counter that ... ;
Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 PM   #7
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Another useful little weapon to tote around is Ilbratha. Whether for melee or magic evasion, a mirror image is always helpful.

Archers actually have the overlooked ability to stat-kill enemies. One of the bonuses they get when doing a called shot is to lower the target's strength by 2 points. This penalty stacks with each hit but unfortunately, each drain runs out quickly. I've tested it by killing Aerie (10 STR) with an archer that had 5 ApR, and was able to kill her by STR drain alone (stoneskins absorbed damage). Killing a dragon solo would take more creativity than I came up with (WW and GWW don't work because whether you use called shot first, or (G)WW, the round spent activating the other ability kills the duration of the first--using multiple called shots allows the victim to heal from the original drains before you're ready with round two--of course in a party, a little ray of enfeeblement works wonders!)

Too bad you can't dual an archer/mage!
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:43 AM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:

Too bad you can't dual an archer/mage!
Actually you can! [img]smile.gif[/img] But you need Tactics Mod. Then you can have Generic Archer(Fighter Kit)... you can imagine the rest.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:40 AM   #9
Tyrion
Quintesson

a generic archer is basicly a normal archer with no spells but better thac0(this because him being fighter base class, not ranger), right?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
Haldir
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:
Archers are the masters of hit and run attacks (with a possible exception of an assasin with a bow) once you get the boots of speed, you are almost unstoppable... as long as you dont run out of room to run... or run into something fast that can see invisible (hiding) creatures (read: dragon)

I think i'll get back into the archer, try a solo no-reloads game with one. Archers are one of my favorite character classes, and yet i have never finished the game with one. I have major problems kiling dragons with them.

So any help with killing dragons with a SOLO archer would be appreciated.
That makes me think to make archer character...