Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-10-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
jsalsb
Elminster

I'm a netscape user - largely so I can use netscape messenger as my mail client, which is much better than outlook in how it handles IMAP based mail servers. But that means that I generally (although not always) view webpages in the netscape browser.

Now... The javascripts for the posting dates used in the ubb code, like so many other scripts and tags, don't work the same in netscape as they do in IE. So all the posting dates appear blank when viewed in Netscape... but only until you go to your Ironworks Forums preferences page and chose any date format other than the default one. Then all works fine!

The upshot of all this... I bet that about 10% of us use mozilla/gecko based browsers and can't tell the posting date of threads. If you've found a thread by doing a keyword search, then you'll have no clue how old it is if you are a casual IW user and don't recognize the names.

just a thought (but still a lame excuse for exhuming a thread that has winged its way to the land where threads are eternally blessed!)
Old 09-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for posting that, jsalsb!

I remember at some point when Ziroc did an upgrade I was no longer able to see the post dates on things. Had to change my settings and then everything was fine.

I do believe that when you do a search the list is presented with a date as to when it was created so even if you can't see the dates when you are reading a thread - if you got to that thread via a search - you had some indication of how old it was.

This isn't a big problem. Having a few old threads bumped to the top is no big deal. We just don't need a lot of them suddenly coming up for air.

Thanks again for pointing out the differences between the different browsers! Most helpful!

Wyv
(edit: suddening to suddenly - what sort of word is "suddening" lol!!! I must have had a deficiency of coffee at the time!)

[ 09-11-2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
jsalsb
Elminster

Doh! I just went and tried a search to see for myself that the posting dates come up on the search results screen. Then I realized "of course they'd come up." I've fixed my date viewing problem!
Old 09-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

It is possible to just randomly browse back through the pages but if you're going beyond the first few pages of threads - you're into history! lol!!

It's certainly not a huge problem and there are a few threads which are actually fun to bump from time to time. The Gael Serran Examiners haven't been bumped in quite a while and I'm sure there are new members who have no idea what fun awaits should they stumble upon them. We had a couple of other excellent huge threads - relating funny things that happened in the game or humorous poetry.

We've had a lot of very creative posters here! I really can't speak for other boards but this one has always been excellent!!!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote