Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 10:31 PM   #11
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
Well for young artist
It's a nice way to get yourself known so it is promotion
And normally people download one or two songs and if they like it they buy the cd
Limp Bizkit record sells actually raised due to Napster
The real threat to the music industry is the CD writers and rewriters
That's my humble opinion

I used my bro-in-law's computer to check out the hype - he himself had hoarded hundereds of songs and has maybe bought 6 music CD's in his life (man did he cop it from me!) there are people with thousands of songs - so that is individuals taking thousands of dollars, not on or two then buying the album.

And there are hundreds of people with those thousands of songs (no i am not kidding, i've seen it) you can't tell me that they're going to go out and buy all of them or even a quater.

On the other hand my own drummer only downloads Pearl Jam live stuff - the 'official bootlegs' (what a term) and when he can afford it does get the CDs (He's up to about 16 of those damn things (on top of studio albums)- how can one man have so much jam?)

So i'm thinking good and bad but leaning towards bad *because* we will get generations groing up where they don't have to pay for music, movies, software, etc.. it will be part of their lifestyle and therefore those arts and sciences affected will degenerate because of little or no income.

Metallica is not worried about themselves, or even limp bizkit, they are worried about muso's who haven't got off the ground yet, or even become muso's yet.

I'm rambling so i'll stop.
ps: no i don't own a computer, currently borrowing my kind brother's (kinda crappy though)
pps: like the aliteration in the opening?

------------------

Gonna run through the jungle
Old 04-10-2001, 03:00 AM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
I used my bro-in-law's computer to check out the hype - he himself had hoarded hundereds of songs and has maybe bought 6 music CD's in his life (man did he cop it from me!) there are people with thousands of songs - so that is individuals taking thousands of dollars, not on or two then buying the album.

And there are hundreds of people with those thousands of songs (no i am not kidding, i've seen it) you can't tell me that they're going to go out and buy all of them or even a quater.

On the other hand my own drummer only downloads Pearl Jam live stuff - the 'official bootlegs' (what a term) and when he can afford it does get the CDs (He's up to about 16 of those damn things (on top of studio albums)- how can one man have so much jam?)

So i'm thinking good and bad but leaning towards bad *because* we will get generations groing up where they don't have to pay for music, movies, software, etc.. it will be part of their lifestyle and therefore those arts and sciences affected will degenerate because of little or no income.

Metallica is not worried about themselves, or even limp bizkit, they are worried about muso's who haven't got off the ground yet, or even become muso's yet.

I'm rambling so i'll stop.
ps: no i don't own a computer, currently borrowing my kind brother's (kinda crappy though)
pps: like the aliteration in the opening?

Kinda crappy eh? At least it's got some music muscle motorbikeface. More moolah makes my music more makable, malleable, manipulatable, manouverable and memorable..... you membernose.

I mentioned in the other thread on this topic about how when I was in Berlin hundreds of Turkish youths would spend all evening downloading songs from Napster and swap between themselves. The loss of sales is enormous. Just because YOU may be dilligent and honest doesn't mean others are.

In regard to "music is meant to be shared", I quite believe you are wrong. Music is a gift from the creator to the listener. Before recordings the only way to hear the creators work as intended, was to be in the presense of them. This required travel time and expenses, payment for other performers to achieve the intention and the means to keep the said creator alive.

In other words money money money. NOTHING IN THIS WORLD IS FREE if you get given something for free it is because another person has decided not to be compensated for their own investment - such as the music I've passed on to Moiraine and others. The personal and financial cost to me to create such music (and the others involved) is enormous. Years, dollars, emotions. Twenty dollars hardly compensates, yet I deemed it a gift to those that asked. Better for it to be heard than not - especially by those so appreciative.

If someone 'stole' my work though I would consider it the gravest of insults.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-10-2001, 05:33 AM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, never usd Napster, donīl like to have an open link to my harddrive and that..
i have downloaded MP3īs and well, I have to say that it has more or less led to me buying more records I like and not wasting money on records I donīt like.
Wellconcerning the record companies I donīt think they loose to much, and since they are always taking more and more money for a CD and mostly younger peoples are the ones REALLy into music (ok, donīt flame me Yorick for making a generalising ((now look, you made me spell that wrong!!)) =) ) and they donīt have much money and if itīs out for free... Lower the prices alittle, ok. More CD sales eh??? Logic.. did I spend too many years study economics???

Concerning the Artists I have another mind about it, thats why i always buy music CDīs I like. I have a good computer, a good soundsystem too it and a CDRW but, well I like to have the "original thing" so I support thoose artists I like.

MP3īs, well i like it caus that is a good way to learn about new artists and to promote younger talents not making their music in the footsteps of all the boy- girl-bands out there....

And well CDRWīs, i wouldnīt have heard Hughīs music without one of thoose so..

I think most people have to use their own morales here and try to see the big picture for themselves and well, support thoose you like.

hmm, tough topic, brain is getting hot here.. arghhh water....

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 04-10-2001, 05:38 AM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Well concerning the record companies I donīt think they loose to much, and since they are always taking more and more money for a CD and mostly younger peoples are the ones REALLy into music (ok, donīt flame me Yorick for making a generalising ((now look, you made me spell that wrong!!)) =) ) and they donīt have much money and if itīs out for free... Lower the prices alittle, ok. More CD sales eh??? Logic.. did I spend too many years study economics???

There are two sayings.

"The music industry has little to do with music"

"Good music is made in spite of the industry, not because of it."

Re

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now? Goo goo goo choo?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-10-2001, 05:50 AM   #15
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
There are two sayings.

"The music industry has little to do with music"

"Good music is made in spite of the industry, not because of it."

Re

True friend!

Well i actually (alittle ashamed) read through more of the posts here, and well.. Thank you again Yorick!
Your music is still played alot in my home. most friends like it to, though they have not got it no MP3īs for them..

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES