Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2006, 03:50 AM   #1
Ultra Marine
The Magister

From the past, i usually put an Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief in every party i made. Its better than a dualed thief or a single thief. And i find it pretty useful even at normal mode. Should I drop this idea?
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

It's a fairly good idea, they just won't be as powerfl as a single class.
When they get to higher levels though, they're pretty good.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

In a party of 6, I'd say try a gnome thief/illusionist, or any thief/mage instead.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

If this character is just there to open locks and disarm traps, you will be fine, just give him a bow and shoot some arrows when not handling traps.

Don't rely on him as a Fighter or a Mage, make sure he is in a backup role here.

I like FMT's too, but my biggest problem with them in IWD is only having one weapon slot. I hate pausing and switching weapons, it's annoying. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Aside from the 1 weapon slot, would'n the F/M/T have more hp and has got backstab skill than a F/M. Compare to a F/T, wouldn't the F/M/T have mage defence?

As a mage ... bad ... no where near bg2
Old 01-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

If my math is correct, comparing a FMT to a FM (assuming a 17 constitution), the FM will end up with 1 more HP than the FMT. The FMT will have a much better backstab than a FM (who has no backstab), but a FT will be a better combatant than a FMT (armor without casting, more HP, better THAC0).
Old 01-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

I prefer the multiclass fighter/thief, myself. It levels up quicker than the triple-class and fills the archer/scout role admirably. I prefer to have my mage or mages be two-classed (either multi or dual) at most, because a mage's power is so level-dependent.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
Ultra Marine
The Magister

I dunno. Maybe I try a F/T this time and a F/M next time.

But anyway, the last time i used a FMT, my party had a Paladin, R/C, Fig(7)>Druid, FMT. That's it. All she did was shoot arrows, orbs, fireballs, web & summoning and sneak aroung. And for some reason the Elf FMT scores highest kills. Can't figure out why but I kept using the FMT after this.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:16 AM   #9
ister
Drow Warrior

I'd think that in the party you posted a M/T would be much more useful. You're counting on a triple class as your only mage! The double classer will have much more efective spells (more fireball damage, longer lasting webs, nastier Chromatic orbs, more magic missiles, earlier access to better summoning spells).

Comparing the F/M/T to a F/M is unfair. If you take the F/M who is going to disable traps? Unless you had two thieves in your party (and if you do, STOP IT), you cannot replace a F/M/T with a F/M.

I think that the M/T is a much more useful character than the F/M/T simply beause the spell casting is quite a bit better. Sure he can't backstab without putting his life in danger, and is crap with a bow, but that's not his role. If you like the F/M/T as a mage who can take care of locks and traps, and can scout as needed, you'll find the M/T is better in these roles.

I find the comparison with the F/T a little more favourable for the F/M/T. The F/T will have a better backstab most of the time, and will definitely be a bit more effective with the bow, but the mage spells can be very handy for a backstabber. If you use the F/M/T's spells to complement his backstabbing (mirror image, improved invisibility), then I think you need to stick with the F/M/T. If you only use the F/M/T as a backup mage and prefer to focus on archery and simple backstabs the F/T is definitely better in those functions.

Personally I'm with ZFR - I prefer the thief/illusionist over the fighter/thief and the fighter/mage/thief. But then I'm a sucker for the killer saving throw bonuses, and don't like to backstab.

[ 01-06-2006, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: ister ]
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Just curious here: How many people have actually themselves tried a FMT in a full party? IME, it's not nearly as bad as most think it is! They make awesome archers (DEX 19, +1 to hit w/ Bows) and if you keep them out of melee, they are just awesome.

You don't run into the problems of not finding enough scrolls since the mage level is nerfed, and you don't ever have a problem with thieving.