Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-30-2004, 11:36 AM   #11
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Marty4,

If you are playing IWD-only (HoW not installed) I don't know if I could help: Don't know what weapons are added to the IWD area of the game by HoW.

I prefer the maces over hammers. My C/F or R/C (forgot who has it) got lots of mileage out of "The Giving Star."

quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Then for slings I have never minded the Giant Killer and replace with Edley's Sling later unless you meet giants.
I absolutely adore the Giant Killer: My F/D is a mean hitter with it. But where is Edley's sling, and what are its stats? Sounds vaguely familiar; but I am pretty sure my current party doen't have it.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
[/QUOTE]I am pretty sure the Edley's Sling is found in one of the towers of the severed hand. I think the priestess in the severed hand gives it to you as a reward for completing one of her quest but I can't remember. Stats are DMG: +2 THACO +3 so quite better than Giant Killer unless you are facing Ettins, Frost or Fire Giants. I usually hang on to the Giant Killer.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #12
Otto
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
Marty4,

I prefer the maces over hammers. My C/F or R/C (forgot who has it) got lots of mileage out of "The Giving Star."
The Giving Star is a great early-game weapon, but it can't be used by good characters.

Slings will never compare with bows in IWD, but at least you get to add your STR modifier to the damage.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 PM   #13
NobleNick
Quintesson

The Giving Star is a great early-game weapon, but it can't be used by good characters

Otto,

Yes, that is one reason why I had one DC Cleric aligned good and the other neutral.

Slings will never compare with bows in IWD, but at least you get to add your STR modifier to the damage.

I also go bows whenever I can. But in a party with 2 DC Clerics and 1 DC Fighter/Druid, I have a lot of sling power.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:12 AM   #14
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks. I've been liking maces more, too. I guess hammer is more of a BG2 weapon (crom fayer, for those of you who play BG2). Don't rangers have to be good? If not, then maybe I'll go with a neutral one next time.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:17 AM   #15
Aerich
Lord Ao

Rangers do have to be good.

And there are no uber-hammers in IWD, unfortunately. However, there are some very good ones. You can't really go wrong with either hammers or maces. Flails aren't that bad either. The +2 Stunning Flail in DE is very useful, and I've used it all the way up to the end battle of IWD before. It really helps against big, tough opponents.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:56 AM   #16
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Rangers do have to be good.

And there are no uber-hammers in IWD, unfortunately. However, there are some very good ones. You can't really go wrong with either hammers or maces. Flails aren't that bad either. The +2 Stunning Flail in DE is very useful, and I've used it all the way up to the end battle of IWD before. It really helps against big, tough opponents.
Love Flails even though there are only a few special ones to be found, besides the one Aerich mentioned two of my favorites are Misery's Herald (only +3 but gets +5 dam. and +4 THACO vs Elves). Take a guess what I use in the severed hand and parts of Dorms Deep were there are Drow. The other one is a very enhanced version of the one Aerich mentioned Shocking Flail +4 (THACO +4, 50% chance +2-6 elec. dam., 20% chance target is stunned, AC +1 bonus) Actually this is one of the few uber-flails. I think it is a random item though and should be found in or around Fleezum's room in lower dorm's deep.

[ 12-01-2004, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:21 PM   #17
Otto
The Magister

Conlin's hammer is free and a very good mid-game weapon if you don' have HOW. Just return from DE after saving Shemeesh so you can use it against Y________.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #18
Aerich
Lord Ao

I've never been all that impressed with Conlan's hammer. It's really just a +1 weapon with the special feature that it can hit all creatures - it only really comes into its own against golems.

I prefer to use the stunning flail against Y. It does better damage, and if you happen to stun Y (or any other powerful opponent), it saves you from taking a good bit of damage. The Defender Axe is good too. Anyway, you can win that fight without going toe-to-toe, and that's a better option anyway.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:34 PM   #19
NobleNick
Quintesson

Update:

It is my DC Cleric[9]/Fighter, Luke D'Eloborue (God's Wolf of Sorrow) who has The Giving Star. AND he is still using it as his primary weapon in TotLM! Good weapon. Hard to believe I bought this, and in Kuldahar, no less.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote