Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-09-2002, 02:14 PM   #1
danzibr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sure, Fighters are good up close, but they need Clerics and Mages to back them up. A Thief gets eviscerated at close range, and the same for Mages, and Clerics are good. So a Multi or Dual class would probably be best. I took a Human Kensai and Dualled her to Mage at level 13. She had Grand Mastery in Katanas and Mastery in 2 Weapon Style. I got Celestial Fury +5 in my main hand and Sanchuudoku +4 in my off hand. If you cast Mirror Image, Stone Skin, and some other good stuff you have the best Fighter in the game, and can cast Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, and other fast magic spells up close when you want to. If you have the Robe of Vecna and the Amulet of Power (I think that's what it's called) you're casting time is reduced by 5 or 6 (can't remember). Let's hear everyone's ideas.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:21 PM   #2
danzibr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And oh yeah, It's kinda hard to get to lvl 13 as a solo Mage, but scibing scrolls really speeds it up. But if you're in a normal party you can just kick everyone out, scribe the scrolls before they get to you, then let them all join again. Kensai/Mages are very powerful when they get the ability to cast Time Stop, you can explode those monsters really gooder... And cast Chromatic Orb and Magic Missile while you're at it.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:56 PM   #3
philip
Galvatron

I have a dual class swashbuckler/mage level 11/12 with a couple of magical items (cloak of protection bracers and stats) it has an AC of -7. He doesn't get hurt much and it's nice to have a thief with you for chests, doors and traps. but I don't think he would survive soloing.
Is a kensai/mage stronger?
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #4
danzibr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think Kensai/Mages are way better, but maybe that's just me.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:39 PM   #5
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I've never played a kensai/mage before but I can say that I really like beserkers. The best thing about them is their imunites when beserked which makes alot of difficult battles very easy. I also liked the sorcerer I played although I messed up by picking some rubbish spells. However if you pick good spells this class would be alot of fun.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:35 PM   #6
ezekill
Dungeon Master

I have a level 3 fighter dualed to a level 12 mage, and ihave brought him through BG1 and now into BG2, and he has died about 5 times throughout BOTH games, he has some good, non cheated stats
Str 19
Dex 18
Con 12
Int 19
Wis 14
Cha 18

I think Fighter dual mages are best, but i want to try something else
that is interesting and hard to play, kensai/mage etc
Wea5el 5ide<br />Dont fly those stripes those stars and stripes for me, they stand for greed they stand for hate, but nothing I believe, dont fly those stars and stripes for me, the word America means freedom as in, Free to kill the Free. <br /> - Anti-Flag
ezekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 12:37 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Kensai->Mage is considered by most veterans to be one of the best, if not the best class to solo with. In fact... some of them considered it to be one of the most boring class to play with, because it is so freaking powerful.

For pureclass kits, the Sorcerer is considered tops, along with Mages.

Multiclass-wise, Fighter/Thief/Mage or Cleric/Ranger.

For dualclass, Berserker->Cleric is potent, as is the Ranger->Cleric. Swashbuckler->Mage is a notable candidate as well. If you have ToB installed, then the Kensai->Thief is an insane powerhouse as well.

Most classes are soloable in the game, save a few.

[ 07-10-2002, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 11:18 AM   #8
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Most classes are soloable in the game, save a few.
And why is that?
AFAIK, every single class has been soloed, ToB included.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 12:10 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
And why is that?
AFAIK, every single class has been soloed, ToB included.
I have read of Jesters, Beast Masters, Wizard Slayers doing it, but I have yet to read first-hand accounts of people doing it with a plain Fighter or a Transmuter among others.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 01:21 PM   #10
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
have read of Jesters, Beast Masters, Wizard Slayers doing it, but I have yet to read first-hand accounts of people doing it with a plain Fighter or a Transmuter among others.
I actually did heard of people soloing a plain Fighter, and even a Kensai.
On the other hand, you're probably right, i don't see how someone will solo a Transmuter.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote