Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 04-14-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
Midget Gems

Final Batle Spoilers
~
~
~
~
~
These guys are so dumb, I can't believe it.
I was doing the final battle where two Iron Golems appear and usually pick out a weak character to attack - in my case they went after my cleric. I moved her into a safe place and cast Sanctuary. The Iron Golems had no target to attack, so they just just stood there looking puzzled, while my fighter moved in and pounded them to bits with Conlan's Warhammer.
Is there a scripting bug that makes them unable to change to a new target if the first one becomes hidden? If there is it helped me deal with them very easily. A stupid monster pretty quickly becomes a dead monster.

[ 04-14-2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Midget Gems ]
Old 04-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #2
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I also had this problem with my mage being my weakest. i just think thta they are programmed to target the weakest thing, and this is to stop the fight being impossible, but I could be wrong.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I seem to recall that the golems switched targets if my cleric used sanctuary or my mage went invisible, unlike what happened in your game. However, the golems were in the midst of other characters when that happened and it MIGHT be a distance effect - where the golems will only switch to characters within a certain radius.

Golems aren't known for their intellects remember - being more or less mindless constructs. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I am not sure but if I remember correctly, Midget Gems is not using Heart of Winter.

It is possible that HoW provides a fix for the Goloms.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer

That's possible, pritchke. I did play through the end game several times though, in all combinations (HOF on and off, and with HOW and then TOLM installed) and I thought the scripting was the same - BUT it has been a while and trying to remember exactly what those blasted golems did in all permutations is beyond my capabilities. lol

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 04-14-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Same here it has been ages since I played IWD by itself.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:47 PM   #7
Midget Gems

Thanks for taking an interest and yes it is just plain IWD.

I did the fight a couple of times and on each occation the Sanctuary made those stupid tin-cans stand around doing nothing. On one occation a Golem was in the middle of a Clouldkill, so I couldn't get near to kill him. When the Sanctuary wore off he resumed his pursuit of my Cleric, so thats what made me think it was a dumb script he was obeying. Quite likely they fixed it with HOW.

Not sure why they chose to target my Cleric (one of the none-fighting girls in my crazy party) she is by no means weak as far as HP and AC are concerned.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

I think the idea is to give your spell casters something to do other than just standing around in the back. [img]smile.gif[/img] If it was Behlifet alone, standard procedure for that combat would have your front line fighters whack him from three sides, while your thief backstabs and your spell casters heal the fighters and keep their protections up. Forcing the party to deal with a fixated golem is actually a nice touch, but having the golems stand around with their thumbs up their butts while the cleric goes into seclusion is kind of stupid. [img]smile.gif[/img]