Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

Has anyone else run into this yet? I just went to Virgin Mobile to set up automatic payments from my credit card, and they actually require you to put the 3 digit security code from your credit card. Then, I go to Best Buy's website and try to place an order, and they do the same thing! I thought that you are never supposed to give out that code, and no one has any business asking for it. Yet here are two sites that are doing just that, and not allowing you to continue with the transaction unless you give it to them. I cancelled out of both. Has anyone else seen this? Is this becoming a trend? If so, it is a real nasty one, because once you give them that code they essentially have your card.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 12-03-2004, 07:48 AM   #2
Mercc
Dungeon Master

Actually they have your card with the just the number. I believe thay ask for that to prove you actually have the card and are the owner.

Mercc
Old 12-03-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have had to give my code, but as Mercc said, I thought it was to prove that I am the card owner...and that I did not just steal the number off of a receipt or something.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Which still proves nothing because if someone steals my card and tries to use it online, *they* now have those three digits.

Not sure what the point of those extra three numbers were, personally. *shrugs*
Old 12-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Many places have been doing this for ages. I've got a few merchants I deal with that routinely require that number either online or on the phone because it shows you have the card in your possession and didn't just get the credit card numbers off a receipt or read them over someone's shoulder.

As to whether that helps if you lose the card...well hopefully you will note it's missing and cancel it,but if not, most sites also verify billing address/shipping addresses, which aren't on the card.

[ 12-03-2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 12-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I don't think I've ever bought anything at a site without them asking for that three-digit security code. It's a very standard thing Nerull, but it's not like you have anything to worry about when you buy from sites like Virgin and Best Buy. Just watch out when you shop at less well-known places online.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Sedai:
Which still proves nothing because if someone steals my card and tries to use it online, *they* now have those three digits.

Not sure what the point of those extra three numbers were, personally. *shrugs*
The point of those three numbers is that they do not appear raised on the front of the card, so if someone managed to just get a look at the front of your card (say by getting the carbon paper from a carbon copy that your CC was pressed into) they still wouldn't have your creditcard number. It makes it very difficult to say that you have a card unless you really have it.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:20 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I don't think I've ever bought anything at a site without them asking for that three-digit security code. It's a very standard thing Nerull, but it's not like you have anything to worry about when you buy from sites like Virgin and Best Buy. Just watch out when you shop at less well-known places online.
I was just about to say this. I've never bought anything online without having to enter the 3 digit code on the back either (and I've bought a lot of things online)! I was reading the first few posts and was like "what planet are they living on??"
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-03-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

The main reason for this is because (hope nobody posted it yet) you can't be seen when ordering online. So, if you found or stole a credit card receipt from someone you're shopping! I used to work for HPShopping.com and that card told us the person had the card in hand. It's much easier to know you lost your card than misplaced, lost etc a receipt!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:35 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

I generally do not do much shopping online (rarely, in fact), so this is the first time I've seen this (in fact, I went a year ago to the Best Buy site and did not have to enter that code). I don't like the idea of giving out that much information, but I guess I'll go ahead and place the order. I already knew the why behind it (checking to see if I had the card in front of me).

I pretty much steer away from "lesser known" websites, anyway, so no worries there...
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin