Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Does anyone know how a weapons' init bonus works? In particular, does the bonus only come into play if you are actively attacking with the weapon, if it is the 'active' slot but you are casting or doing something else, or if it is just equiped? Also, do these bonuses stack in the case of duel weapon?

I am asking because my fairy Bishop has the ebon staff (Init +3), the winterwand (Init +5), and the thunderstick (Init+5). The winterwand and thunderstick can be used as a duel weapon combo. The question is if I have those two weapons equiped, Does she get a +10 to init if she is casting?

Being she rarely uses any weapon...is it best to equip the Ebon staff...which gives several bonuses, equip one of the other two staves, or to equip no weapons at all to reduce the amount of wieght she is carrying?
LewyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
xfactor
Dungeon Master

Weapon initiative bonuses only apply if you're actually using the weapon, not merely holding it.

If you don't use weapons that much then your best bet is to get a weapon with some good skill or resistance bonuses that you can equip.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks, that definately helps.

Now I am wondering what weapons, if any, everyone uses with a fairy Bishop (I am not playing Flames mod yet).
Old 03-10-2005, 06:02 AM   #4
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Sprite dagger, for stamina regeneration.
I never used fairy bishops, but my fairy mage usually holds no weapon. Just dead weigth. Well, maybe, if i find the staff of 12 stars... don't know if a fairy can use it...
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

IIRC the Staff of Doom is also a good weapon for a fairie bishop.

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

[ 03-10-2005, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Klutz
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Wereboar:
Sprite dagger, for stamina regeneration.
I never used fairy bishops, but my fairy mage usually holds no weapon. Just dead weigth. Well, maybe, if i find the staff of 12 stars... don't know if a fairy can use it...
Nope, sorry... though my Faerie Bishop stared longingly at the two I got in that game. Bishops don't like pointy thingies. Faerie Bishops can't use shields either, which is a real bummer because the Philosopher's Shield would be perfect.

To answer the question, my Faerie Bishop used the Ebon Staff, and actually hit with it occasionally. If I recall correctly, the Ebon Staff has a +5 Strength bonus, which gave my Faerie Bishop a teeny bit of extra stamina and carry capacity... possibly enough to offset the Staff itself. I think the Ebon Staff also grants a little divine resistance.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Once again, many thanks.

The Ebon staff does give a 15% Devine resistance bonus. I agree that the Strength bonus is just enough to offset carrying the staff in the first place.

I do have her using the staff towards the end of fights...just to help mop things up. Her staff skill is up in the 30s now. However, in any challenging fights she will be casting every round.