Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 10-29-2002, 06:27 AM   #61
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Just a caution, CD, if you "ditch Vics" she won't come back into your party, in the annoying way that BG NPC's have. I think only Imoen and one or two others will.Other than that, go after it.
hmm, i'll keep that in mind, its been bloody hard without a cleric tho... lol, rest rest rest, use bhaalspawn cure light wounds... bah. lol. firewine I think... I need a vacation...
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:08 AM   #62
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Thanks, L33, it was most satisfying to write, I can tell you.
Calaethis, Viconia is a cleric, a much better one than Jahiera, since she advances faster and has better spells.

All right, this is the beginning of Part II:

"Uriel! You get right down here!"

The sound of an angry young woman's voice could be heard throughout the House of the Dome. Uriel, by now grown into a mischievous 6 year old girl with long golden hair that gave her an inappropriately angelic air, was lurking beneath the stairway in one of her favorite hiding-spots. The voice got louder and was revealed to be coming from Sefa, who had matured into a long-legged young woman. Her freckled face was distorted into an atypical scowl as she methodically searched the house for the errant child. As she passed by the stair closet, her sharp ears picked up a muffled giggle. She sneaked over to the partially opened door and struck quickly, grasping Uriel by one ear and dragging her forth.
"Ow! Sefa, not so hard," she howled. "I'll tell Aunt Gal, and she'll whip you, or maybe turn you into a lizard."
Sefa gave the miscreant a harder tweak of her maltreated ear before letting it go. "My Mistress would not do anything of the sort, brat," she answered coldly. "She is waiting for you right now for our Magic lesson, and she is more likely to whip you for wasting her time. Now, you fork over my grimorie, I know that you stole it, so don't bother to deny it."
Uriel reluctantly handed the outraged apprentice her hard-earned grimorie, or magical recipe-book. Sefa had finally made strides in spell-casting, and almost all of her notes were in this battered volume. Uriel had become fascinated by the book, and had been taking it without the owner's permission and studying it in private. She had already decided to become like her mother and her idolised aunt and be a spell-caster, and was trying to follow Sefa down this road. She adored her mother, of course, but it didn't take as much intelligence as she had to figure out who was in charge at the House of the Dome, so Galadria was the one she chose to emulate. Besides, Galadria tended to spoil her, whereas Noemi was stricter, as befit a mother.
Chastened for the moment, Ureil followed the older girl downstairs to Galadria's study. The dark mage was waiting for them, clad as usual in a black silk magician's robe, this one with hints of gold embroidery here and there. Her brunette hair, still without a trace of gray, was confiined in a bun on the back of her head, the better to keep it out of her way. She smiled as her pupils came in and sat on a couch facing her big table, then reached over and kissed Uriel in greeting and ruffled Sefa's curls. She winked at her apprentice with a broad grin. "Good afternoon, ladies," she began. "Sefa, has Uriel been being bad, again? I couldn't help hearing you."
Sefa looked at the golden-haired thief, who looked so piteous that she relented. "Not really bad, Mistress," she answered, "but she did take my grimorie again without my permission. I caught her reading it in the stair closet."
"But, Aunt Gal," Uriel protested, "I like to read it. When Sefa writes things out, she writes everything, from how you stand, to how to remember the gestures, to how to pronounce the words of the invocations. Your books are so hard."
"El," Galadria answered benignly, using her household nickname, "if you'd pay more attention in lessons and take more notes, you could make your own grimorie. I know that you can read and write, so it is time you started your own. I'll speak to Em. But, I can understand how you'd find Sefa's notes useful, without the bother of making your own. Just ask permission, next time, please." There was a glint in her eye as she said this, and Uriel understood that her aunt had every intention of being obeyed. She resigned herself to being polite, because Galadria's wrath was not one that any of the residents of the house invited.
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:24 AM   #63
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

lol, nice begining lady G... I really should be working at college [img]tongue.gif[/img] lol, but they said "surf the web" for "sites" to "fill out a form..." and I couldnt help but come onto my favourite... [img]tongue.gif[/img] even if Im not gonna use it hehehe. lol, I know I shouldnt really ask abouta girls age, but how old is sefa now? [img]tongue.gif[/img] btw thanks for posting
Old 10-29-2002, 09:39 AM   #64
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

CD, she is busy, but I know, so I will answer. Sefa is 19.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:46 AM   #65
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

thanks Att. lol, 19 eh? lol, Lady G seems to have skipped most of her erm.. addolescence shall we say. lol. I think I prefered her as a child [img]tongue.gif[/img] she seemed "nicer" lol. hahaha, well so long as she doesnt turn into another aeire... *grin* jk. looks good btw.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:52 PM   #66
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Actually, I have a fragment, about five paragraphs, of Sefa and Noemi when she was younger. Would you like me to post that?
Old 10-29-2002, 04:11 PM   #67
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

yes please Lady G, if only for *grin* proglouge or something? hehe, but keep posting anyway I do luv your stories lol, I think I've unconsiously added you to my fav list of authors
Old 10-29-2002, 05:57 PM   #68
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

[img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the compliment, Calaethis. Very well, as Fall-From-Grace says:

Months pass. It is now winter in Baldur’s Gate, and little Uriel has grown and thrived. She is now six months old.
The sun had just gone down when Sefa brought her books down from her room to the den just off the dining room that everyone used in wintertime when the cloudy sky and drifting snowflakes seemed too much viewed from beneath the dome. There was a bright fire in the grate, and the warmth was grateful to the girl as she lay down on the hearth rug, made from the wooly hide of some beast that Attalus had killed long ago. She loved to snuggle in its warm embrace to keep the chill away. By the fire’s light and the lamp above, she studied her lesson for the morrow, when her mistress would test her on the content. Usually, the content was enough to send her off to a quick before-dinner nap, but tonight, for some reason, probably because she was beginning to understand it, she became absorbed in her studies. She was therefore startled when the door opened and Noemi came in dramatically, bracing her back against it.
The little redhead put her finger to her lips. “Shh, not a sound!” she whispered. “I’ve just gotten Uriel to sleep, and for a while, by all the signs. By Tres! It will be good to have an evening to myself.” She got out her lute, plopped onto the leather couch, and began noodling on the strings.
Sefa had to smile. “Em, that sounds pretty, even when you aren’t trying to play a tune. Can you play ‘Belu and Bilo?’”
“No, Sefa,” Noemi responded gaily, “I haven’t gotten that far, all of those minors and, anyway, it’s more for harp than lute, with all the left-handed counter-melody. I just like to play things that I make up. When Uriel is bigger, maybe I’ll take some more lessons.”
The door had opened and Galadria came in in time to hear the last remark. “Em,” she interjected good-humouredly, “if you are going to become a bard, let me know, so we can have done with the farce of your being my apprentice. Sefa has had to do it all since before Uriel was born.”
As usual, a light came into Noemi’s face when her sister spoke to her. “Hey,” she replied, “don’t new mothers get time off apprenticeship? If you like, Sefa can look after Uriel, and I’ll come sweep up or grind powders or whatever. Or you can spend some time with her.”
Galadria snorted. “Sefa and I spend quite enough time with Uriel. In fact, the last time she was changed, I did it. I looked for you and you were sound asleep.” Her tone softened. “You looked so exhausted, I just let you sleep“. She went over to the couch and ruffled Noemi’s hair.
“Oh, that was you?” Noemi replied, not at all chastened. “Thanks, Gal, I really had a good nap. I thought that her diaper didn’t look like when I pin it.”
Shaking her head in mock despair, the dark mage went across the hall to her study, and in a minute they heard the scraping of her chair. Noemi resumed plucking at her lute. “Well, that’s it for her until supper.” she said ruefully, for she would have liked to chat a bit longer. “Looks like it’s just you and me, Sefa.”
Sefa didn’t mind. In fact, for some reason that she couldn’t quite figure, her heart seemed full of happiness and contentment, just then. She just lay on the rug and drank it in, experiencing the joy that she felt. It was an unusual experience, and she remembered it in extraordinary detail all the rest of her life. Years later, in hard, cold times, when she was trying to snatch some rest, she found that she could instantly transfer her mind back to that snug time, when everyone was happy, and nothing much was going on. She would then feel, instead of cold, hard ground, the hearth rug, and feel Galadria’s fire warming her. And, instead of the howling of icy wind, Noemi’s lute would return and lull her to sleep.

Perhaps I will insert that into the novel, what do you think? As an interlude, perhaps.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:04 PM   #69
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Yep, its nice when you have a little "interval" between the stories, you know, like a mini extended epilogue or prolouge or something; its kinda an ice breaker, and you see your fav chars living their "normal" lives . Imho of course, thanks for posting btw.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:22 PM   #70
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

LOL, sent you an e-mail. Worked on this off and on all day, so here is some more.

The lesson then started. Galadria was in the midst of describing how to determine the intentions of planar creatures when they were summoned, when a knock came to the door. Uriel, for once actually interested in the lecture, gave the door an annoyed look as Sefa ran to answer it. Her resentment turned to joy at the sight of a well-known mop of red hair, and she ran to her mother to be fondly embraced. "Mommy," she cried, "did you bring me anything?"
Noemi, who had gone to the market for supplies, smiled as she hugged the beautiful little girl. "Yes I did, poppet," she answered fondly, "but not until the lesson is over." She turned to her sister, "Gal, there's someone here to see you. Somebody you're not going to like seeing. Shall I put him in the front room?" That was where they interviewed visitors of doubtful intentions, being heavily warded and trapped.
The dark mage frowned. "First, Em," she growled, "tell me who it is."
"Well," the little redhead replied, "not to put too fine a point on it, it's Amoret."
Galadria was surprised. "Amoret?" she said puzzledly, "I told him never to come around me again. What ever would he want?"
Grimacing, Noemi whispered. "He says that he has news. About Uriel, though he didn't call her by name. He saw me in the marketplace before I saw him, and he sneaked up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. I must have jumped ten feet. I told him that he better have what you'd consider significant information, or start gettting used to eating bugs every meal."
"Well," Galadria said with resignation, "I'm certainly not afraid of him. Put him in the front room, though, because I don't want him to get the impression that he's welcome here. He's lucky that Attalus isn't home. Don't tell Cho, either, until he is gone."
Amoret was a man who had traveled with them for a short time, earning their emnity when he had tried to force himself on Galadria. Chorania had caught him pinning her arms, so that she could not get a spell off while undressing her. She had exploded into the little clearing, striking him unconscious with her mace while calling him everything that an extensive vocabulary of drow curses contained. When he had come back around, it was with the tip of Attalus' sword Corhydras at his throat. The big man had with difficulty been prevented from hanging him from the nearest tree. He had been told in no uncertain terms what it would mean if he was ever caught around her again, and she wondered why he would take such a risk.
After a suitable interval, more to make him realise how unimportant she regarded his visit and information than anything, she went through the heavy door into the front room, pausing first automatically to renew the wards that prevented any magic but hers from operating. As she swept unsmiling into the room, she saw at once how little the man had changed. Handsome in a rather greasy fashion, he still smiled in the irritating way that he had, the main impression left on her being how irresistible he thought himself to be. She stifled her annoyance. If he indeed had information, she wanted it.
"My lady!" the man said fervently. "How beautiful you look today. I had almost forgotten how lovely you are" He dropped onto one knee and siezed her hand, as in attempt to kiss it. He was at once startled by a blue flash and electrical crackle, and grimaced as he shook his burned hand.
Galadria smiled in a satisfied way. "Be careful, Amoret," she laughed. "Do not try to touch me, or it will be the worse for you. You will also find that your sword and dagger, as well as that poigniard that you have in your left boot, are stuck in their scabbards. Now, what is this information that Noemi says that you told her of, so important that you risk coming across Attalus and Chorania, both of whom are sworn to kill you if they ever lay eyes on you again?".
Hurriedly, the man got to his feet. "Plots, conspiricies!" he said mysteriously, assuming a wise expression. "I heard of one that concerned you and yours, so I hurried to Baldur's Gate and your house, hoping that your well-known mercy would allow you to hear me out before you killed me in some spectacular fashion."
Galadria slumped resignedly into a chair. "All right, Amoret," she said tiredly, "I'll grant you that it took more courage than I thought that you possessed to come here and beard me in my den like this. Why would you tell me of this, since I have made no pretence of not despising you for what you tried to do to me?"
He took on an injured attitude. "My Lady, it was partially in hopes of setting myself in the right with you that I came. I wish that you, and your friends, could see that little incident as ill-advised passion and misunderstandings instead of...er...forcible..." he trailed off and was interrupted by the mage.
"Stow it, Amoret," she snapped. "You tried to rape me and you know it. But, thank Tres and Chorania, you didn't succeed, or we would not be having this conversation. So, you want me to call off Attalus and Chorania? Maybe, if what information you bring is true and valuable. Knowing you, I expect that you will want some money, too. Well, I'll listen to a reasonable request. But, I'll hear the information, first, though I do pledge that if I don't think that it useful, I shall let you leave unharmed. Is that fair?"
Amoret beamed. "It's certain that rumor does not lie about your generosity and mercy, my lady. Glad I am that I did not succeed in my little...er, fit of passion. Yes, some money, perhaps a thousand gold? would repay me for the risks and dangers that I went through to bring you word of this. I will confess that my heart was in my mouth, rather, while I awaited you in this place."
Galadria made a beckoning movement with her hand. "Information, Amoret," she snarled. "I have not either the time or inclination to listen to a description of your nervous qualms. If I had turned you into a jelly, it would have served you right, for I am quite sure that I was not the only one, before or since, that you have used those tactics on. Let me hear some sense out of you."