Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #91
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
For what it's worth I don't regret getting it. But I do feel like I was mislead as far as the PC version goes. They promised an HD version of Baldur's Gate. Instead I got BG1 in BG2.
A lot of people on the Baldur's Gate Forum are saying that, as well.

On the plus side, they did throw in The Black Pits, which will allow you to create a new 1st-level character, go through a couple of fights, quickly advance until about 4th level, export, then import your character--along with all your earned/purchased equipment--into a new game of BG. Now that I have Near Infinity, DLTCEP, and Shadowkeeper (which will translate BGEE characters correctly) working correcting the mistakes I find will be simple.

My edits so far:
corrected some kit/class alignments
xp cap corrected to an average of 9th, even for multiclass
slight changes to weapon proficiencies--mages may use clubs and monk may use quarterstaff
neutral characters have "happy" sounds with a rep between 8 and 13
scribing scrolls gives 100 xp/level, not 1000 from BG2 and not 10 from BG:EE
Winthrop's Inn now sells 1st-level mage scrolls
the spawn points for areas 2700/2800 (Lion's Way) and 2300 (FAI) have been corrected (but not play-tested for balance)--needs more work here

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #92
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: HD Version of Baldur's Gate?

That's an awful lot of edits for a game that supposedly was going to fix stuff like that.

Imagine how the folks who bought the PC version feel - particulary those who do not have the inclination to or skill to fix things like you do and expected the game to come with those changes already made.

Here's are two snippets from the eurogamer review:

"Here are two more things I can say straight away. If you've never bought Baldur's Gate before and your interest is piqued by the game's reputation and this re-release, this is the edition to seriously consider buying, with a few caveats. If you already own Baldur's Gate, you probably shouldn't buy this - not unless you absolutely must serve some completist compulsion that burns deep inside of you."

and

"Some of these are very irritating things, such as the abysmal pathfinding that leaves my party twitching in a doorway or sends one of them wandering halfway across the map. Sometimes party members simply don't respond to mouse clicks, requiring you to re-issue orders (something I can imagine being particularly annoying on an iPad touch-screen, when that version finally appears). Sometimes archers try to engage in melee combat. Sometimes the entire party is selected and can't be deselected until you restart the game. I should add that the Enhanced Edition has patched itself twice since I began playing, but these problems still surface."

You can read the entire review here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...edition-review

If you're happy with BG.EE great. And if you want this for a tablet, I might change my tune.

But I'm totally happy that I avoided spending even a modest 20$ on a poorly done, rehashed version of a 14 year old PC game that doesn't correct a lot of original problems. For the PC version, I'm not buying it.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #93
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post
That's an awful lot of edits for a game that supposedly was going to fix stuff like that.

Imagine how the folks who bought the PC version feel - particulary those who do not have the inclination to or skill to fix things like you do and expected the game to come with those changes already made.
If you're happy with BG.EE great. And if you want this for a tablet, I might change my tune.

But I'm totally happy that I avoided spending even a modest 20$ on a poorly done, rehashed version of a 14 year old PC game that doesn't correct a lot of original problems. For the PC version, I'm not buying it.
You are completely correct, which is why they are starting to get raked over the coals about it all. When I have started the game each day for the last three successive days there has been a minor patch applied before the game begins. I believe that qualifies as "insane". My suspicion is that they rushed to release this for PC so they could get it all fixed before releasing for their true target market for mobile device users. The primary complaints are still buggy/choppy video and audio, insufficient monster spawns, difficulty selecting party members, and that weird "ranged weapon users charging into close quarters combat" (I have seen the script that causes that and chuckled to myself when the error jumps out at you).

No, if you haven't bought it or you are not interested in making the game "your own" via personalized edits then don't buy it--save your money. I never got Tutu so I never got to play BG in the BG2 engine so this is totally new to me--I like it, bugs and all (especially since I can fix many of them). As I noted elsewhere I never even played Planescape!

I am still working my way through Fallout 3, as well--yes, I know, I am behind the times--but I am also waiting for Wasteland 2 (due next October--it won't be buggy like BGEE).

Interestingly, they are still moving ahead with trying to update SoA and ToB. If BGEE continues to flounder, they may not get the opportunity.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #94
Chewbacca
Zartan

I'm gonna get this, if for no other reason than to show support. Love is not always reasonable.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #95
Azred
Drow Priestess

Many of the initial problems have already been addressed and patched; the weak spawn points are a problem but I am using my own fix for that already--invisible creatures sitting at the spawn points that use a script to summon the spawn creatures then destroy themselves. I can also scale the spawns based on how many people are in the party, average party level, difficulty setting of the game, and chapter.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #96
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I'm in the same boat as Azred, having never played with tutu, this is all new to me and so far I am loving it despite the niggling ios6 targeting and tool tip issues (a little bit of patience in this space goes a long way)

Kinda wish I didn't have to upgrade to iOS6 for it, but so far so good.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #97
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm enjoying it so far. I've never (oh dear....an admission of major deficiency in gaming is about to come out....) finished the original BG and went back to start doing so long after finishing BG2 and a lot of other games then had upgrades on the computer and left it sitting. So now I'm hoping to actually finish BGEE. The sounds are the same... I always got a chuckle out of the sound when you click something... kind of a 'click-snort' sound. And of course, the classic "You must gather your party before....." ahhhhh....nostalgia at it's best!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #98
wellard
Dracolisk

Sounds like I will give it a few months.

I don't mind some bugs as long as the game flows, hopefully the worst bugs will be sorted.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #99
Azred
Drow Priestess

The worst of the bug problems are over. Now would be a good time to get this updated version of the game, if you are thinking of getting it. The only problems left are minor: for example, there is a door in the courtyard of the Friendly Arm Inn that appears open when it is really closed and appears closed when it is really open.

Right now, I have a female half-orc kensai whose party is wandering around the wilderness, farming some xp before heading to look for the bandit camp. Her armor class is pathetic but she firmly believes that the best defense is a good offense.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #100
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
The worst of the bug problems are over. Now would be a good time to get this updated version of the game, if you are thinking of getting it. The only problems left are minor: for example, there is a door in the courtyard of the Friendly Arm Inn that appears open when it is really closed and appears closed when it is really open.

Right now, I have a female half-orc kensai whose party is wandering around the wilderness, farming some xp before heading to look for the bandit camp. Her armor class is pathetic but she firmly believes that the best defense is a good offense.
Thanks for the info! I've been waiting for the first wave of inevitable bugs to get handled, now I could go buy the actual game Did I see this available on Steam?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote