Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #1
deveon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I figured I'd ask this question here in these forums because I've been coming here for a long time now. And this site gives me alot of inspiration to develope my own games.
I am a pc game programmer\graphic artist and I have spent quite a few years developing games, I have mainly been making games for friends and people over the internet for free, but I have found over the years I have spent quite a bit of money involving myself in these games I have created. This last game I have created I have spent a little over 1 year developing, Everyone loves it and they are telling me that I should not give this game away as freeware, (not to brag on myself) but I have also been told that this last game is alot better than most Rpg\'s that are coming out now a days. I wanted to know what steps do I need to take to getting my game sold? I have already packaged it up its on a autorun cd and everything, I have also done all the cd covers front back inlay even the manual, all of this is professionaly done and ready to be sold, I just want to try and make some extra income to provide for my hosting and server space if you know what I mean. If you have read this far then I will tell you about the game it is a true rpg, what I mean by true Rpg is you are free to do what you want kinda like morrowind (openended) far from the graphics though [img]smile.gif[/img] the Rpg is called Destinies Reign and it is very huge the game world consists of 22 cities, 8 villages, 30 camps, and about 80 dungeons, It is in the Style of Wizardry Gold crusaders of the dark savant, but with much better graphics, there are roughly 400 differant creatures, tons of npc's to interact with ( I know it sounds like im trying to sell you my game hehe) I'm just giving you an idea of what its about. Here are a few screenshots of the game: Screenshot 1 - Screenshot 2
Here is also one of my websites of another game I just finished, mabey this one would sell too, I do know It has sold on ebay about 50 times heheh Finest Hour

I really have no clue at all on what steps to take to getting my game sold, and its sad cause everyone tells me how much talant I posess, As I said before quite a few people have said to me that these games should be at the store on the shelves.

Best Wishes
Jamie W. Ellis

[ 02-09-2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: deveon ]
Old 02-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Don't wanna spoil your fun or anything, but those are 8 bit graphics. Do you think there's still a market for that ?
Old 02-09-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
deveon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

8 Bit graphics? You must not have seen the screenshots [img]smile.gif[/img] Destinies Reign is 32 bit graphics and Finest Hour is 24 bit graphics. And I can tell you this much about Rpg's I'm a die hard fan and graphics do not mean anything. If I find an rpg that is a true Rpg and not a so called Rpg like most of the games coming out now a days I wouldnt care what the graphics looked like. My games are sellable They have sold on ebay over 50 copies in the last 3 weeks I do not think that is that bad. And that just shows me there is a market for my games.

I'm not asking for anyone to buy the game, all im asking is a little help on a direction i should go to get my game marketed better, not to mention to show my wife that all of my time i spend programming games will bring in some income hehe.

* 8 bit graphics were from the old nintendo i do not see nintendo in those screenshots [img]smile.gif[/img] *

[ 02-09-2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: deveon ]
Old 02-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I was referring to the images of "the finest hour". Look, i'm not trying to get on your nerves here, but it's my experience that graphics DO matter. Even 8 year old kids have some demands on that part these days.

Anyway, perhaps you should send a few copies to gamemagazines, the ones that do reviews.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #5
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Look into selling your game like ID did.They gave away the first level and if you liked it you ordered it online for xamount.It worked for them drop them an e-mail,their free..
Old 02-09-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
deveon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I was referring to the images of "the finest hour". Look, i'm not trying to get on your nerves here, but it's my experience that graphics DO matter. Even 8 year old kids have some demands on that part these days.

Anyway, perhaps you should send a few copies to gamemagazines, the ones that do reviews.
I know you mean no harm, but when you said 8bit graphics I was thrown off those are all 24 bit graphics in finist hour, 8 bit graphics are from the first donkey kong those are 8bit graphics hehe. alot of the cutseens are full motion avi very nice looking. and the animations makes up for the graphics.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Johnny, why do you say they are 8-bit graphics? That means only 256 colours and it seems to me there are more shades than that in the screenshots so I believe the guy that it's at least 24-bit colour.

Psst deveon, I guess english is not your first language but in your sig. (location saint petersburg or is FL Florida? In that case english is your first language and I've learnt that there's a st petersburg in america ) it should be "you're" not "your reading this" since you are abbreviating "you are".

[ 02-09-2004, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #8
deveon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:

Psst deveon, I guess english is not your first language but in your sig. (location saint petersburg or is FL Florida? In that case english is your first language and I've learnt that there's a st petersburg in america ) it should be "you're" not "your reading this" since you are abbreviating "you are".
Your to much.... Ye I hear there is a saint petersburg not only in fl, but also in russia and iceland. wonder why so many saint petersburgs?
Old 02-10-2004, 03:27 AM   #9
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Looks to me like a blend of old side scrolling RPG and RPG maker 2000.

IMO, the current hype is to go 3D. Either 3D first person or 3rd person RPG might draw more interest from the crowd.

Oh, spend some time to implement graphics for items, armors, weapons and etc. Use the old paper doll style for inventory and equipment control.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:57 AM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Johnny, why do you say they are 8-bit graphics? That means only 256 colours and it seems to me there are more shades than that in the screenshots so I believe the guy that it's at least 24-bit colour.

What was i supposed to say then ? That i was stunned by the graphics ? Sorry, i wasn't, graphics like that are not from this day and age anymore. As much as i like RPG's, there also has to be some eyecandy. I won't play any game just because it happens to my favorite genre.

The screenshots in the third link, reminded me of Legend of Zelda on the NES, that's why i said that they're 8 bit graphics. Don't tell me that you see far more advanced graphics than i do inthere ?