Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 12-02-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
Aerich
Lord Ao

Oops. Yeah, I was going to list Flame Arrow. I won't take it next, because I already have plenty of fire spells. The next choice will probably be Icelance, because, as you pointed out Marty, Dispel can be covered by the clerical caster. I'm not ruling it out entirely, because it would be useful to have with more than one character.

Is Haste really that bad a choice? I'm aware it only affects single characters, but I kinda like the idea of pumping up a tank and shredding something.

Haste on a greataxe-wielding dwarf tank with power attack and cleave? Isn't it worth it? Maybe not in the top 3 for choices, but probably in the top 5. I suppose it's not that useful over the long term, but it sure would be at this stage of the game.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:31 AM   #12
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Oooh, hasting that dwarf is definetly worth it. But the thing is, you're a sorcerer and must be very picky about your spells, choosing spells that become more powerfull as you level. Icelance is not one such shepp, but it's after-effects are always handy. And Melf's Minute Meteors are one of the most usefull spells in the game, as it's really really handy against trolls and very nice damage delivered fast.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:26 AM   #13
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I'm pretty sure that paladins get dispel one way or another You may not get that, but others will.

Like Bozos said, you can't afford to get spells that aren't good in the long run (I told you to get a wizard!) so you should get mass haste instead. You will LOVE that dwarf!

MMM is awesome, like Bozos said.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #14
Aerich
Lord Ao

Oh, I get the dispel reference. Every paladin must have a sword - maybe it makes up for not getting a steed.

I went with a sorceress, and now I'll stick with it; it's not too bad, because I have two other spellcasters, one of which is a druid that's shaping up nicely. I don't really miss the lack of choice (yet), and I really like the option of choosing the best spell for the situation.

I've narrowed down my next 3rd lvl choice to Stinking Cloud v. MMM. Crowd control v. multiple ranged attack.

I imagine Melf's is darn good for kicking the fanny of opposing spellcasters, right? And I do have Web already...
Old 12-03-2004, 05:52 PM   #15
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

If you don't intend to go HoF, then sorceror is equal or better.

Go for Melf's. Great troll and mage killer.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:48 PM   #16
Aerich
Lord Ao

I just levelled up, and I decided to focus my sorceress on taking out opposition spellcasters. Went with the double-barrelled Melf - Acid Arrow and Minute Meteors. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm at the crash site, and I managed to draw the Fomorians and Frost Spiders at the same time, attacking opposite ends of my party.

I left my dwarf fighter and mirror-imaged svirfneblin monk to occupy the giants, and focused the other four on the spiders. I did fire off a chromatic orb and managed to stun the verbeeg (leaving him easy meat) before turning back to go after the spiders with double Scorchers. Good thing I had plenty of antidotes, because my pally just couldn't seem to make a save.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #17
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

How are you liking the dwarven fighter, and what level is he at? The big advantages of being a fighter are weapon specialization and extra feats. I assume that you've got the specialization in axes. If you are having trouble picking feats then I have 2 suggestions:

1. Take specialization in hammers or maces and get 4 concentration. This unlocks the powerful feat Maximized Attacks. If you've played BG2, this is like giving your guy Kai [img]smile.gif[/img]

2. Start leveling as a barbarian. Fighter is the favored class of dwarves, so there will be no penalty, and you will enhance your tank with extra hp and the barbarian rage ability.

Note: Even while leveling as a barbarian, your 4 fighter levels will allow you to take specialization.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:14 PM   #18
Aerich
Lord Ao

Oh, I'm liking the dwarven fighter. He's level 7, nearly at level 8 now, and sitting at 112 HP. A great meat shield, and he deals good damage. Still using the one-handed battleaxe, as I haven't found a magical greataxe yet.

I've been thinking of levelling as a barbarian, but I want to get a few more feats first (improved crit, weapons, saves). I put my starting skill points into concentration, so I'm ready to get maximized attacks as soon as I get the second specialization.

Does taking a level of barbarian early in the game mess up the fighter table for getting the increased number of feats?
Old 12-05-2004, 09:50 AM   #19
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I doubt it. However, I'd start being a full-time barbarian soon to get Greater Rage, damage reduction, and nice barb abilities.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:05 PM   #20
Aerich
Lord Ao

Since this crew won't go into HoF, I doubt that I'll get damage reduction or Great Rage. I'll still take a few barb levels, for Rage, movement, and even better HP.

Sorceress just went up a level, and took Stoneskin for her first 4th lvl spell. Tough choices between it and Emotion: Hope, Confusion, and M's Force Missiles. But Stoneskin is a great spell to put on the tanks - it probably doubles their durability on core difficulty. I now have the ability to put either Stoneskin or Mirror Image on every single party member. Not a bad deal.

I've noticed that I use Chromatic Orb much more than I did in IWD 1. Maybe I just have more of them available.