Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 07-05-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

I hate spending a spell slot and a round casting Wall of Moonlight if it's useless. WoM only affects evil things, but absolutely *slays* evil undead. It doesn't touch neutral-aligned undead.

So far I've found that it does not hurt skeletons (Vale of Shadows) and does hurt Cold Wights (3rd lvl Dragon's Eye). What else does it/does it not affect?

[ 07-05-2004, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 07-06-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well... you could try my AI Script on your spellcaster. It will auto-cast Wall of Moonlight on evil targets for you.

If you prefer to manually do it. You can either memorise which enemies are evil-aligned or cast spells that reveal alignments( a Paladin comes in useful here).
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

I may try out the script. However, I do want to find out beforehand which ones are evil; then I'll know when I should be memorizing WoM. I'm not carrying a paladin with my current party. I may have to spend a precious spell slot on Detect Evil or Know Alignment, then.

I assume all shadowed creatures are evil, with the exception of elves. I also assume that all "higher" undead like wights, mummies, liches, zombie lords, etc are evil. What I want to know is, where's the cut-off? Poison zombies, Blades Skeletons?

I'll probably just have to go with trial and error, if no one else knows. I'll post results here, for further reference.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Karathis

all undead are evil !
Old 07-06-2004, 10:50 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, yes, but in terms of alignment within the game, some of them are not. I had some skeletons walk right through a Wall of Moonlight and remain standing on the other side. They shouldn't be able to do that unless 1) they have mega HP (which they do not) or 2) they have magic resistance (which they also do not have).
Old 07-07-2004, 07:32 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Not all Undead are evil.

I have never done a comprehensive list on which Undead is evil-aligned, but one sure way of finding out which ones are, is to use a game editor.

I would recommend Near Infinity. Gatekeeper is a less robust editor, but works well enough for alignment checking.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

SHOULDn't all undead be evil?

Except for the Baelnorn's maybe...
Old 07-07-2004, 08:23 AM   #8
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Undead do not have minds of their own (mostly), and are raised from teh dead bodies of people or animals.
Therefore, if a zombie of a good aligned (say) Elf was raised, the zombit SHOULD still be good from its past life. Since it has no mind of its own, it cannot be held responsible for its actions as it kills things. (Besides, i have killed peasants and still remained good, my ranger didn't even Fall).

The same applies to neutral.
Liches are evil (because of the way they go undead, I think), Baelnorns are good (elves taht are undead teachers) .

[EDIT]
Unless previously mentioned Elf-that-became-Baelnorn was evil/neutral. Then they will still be neutral/evil.

[EDIT 2]
I'm not too sure about the zombie thing though. I mean, being raised COULD make you evil or something, I don't know. It's never happened to me.

[EDIT 3]
Hey how come, when your ressurect you character, they aren't a zombie or anything? Doesn't make sence. do you have to have a certain type of resurrect spell to make them into a zombie?

A morgh (sp?) would be evil, because they are the dead bodies or unrepentant villans. So would a ghoul or ghast, I imagine, because they are corrupted officials.

[ 07-07-2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Dragonshadow ]

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm thinking that all skeletons and zombies (with the exception of zombie lords and maybe Bladed/Serrated Skeletons) are evil. I tried out Wall of Moonlight on poison zombies, and it didn't affect them.

AFAIK, all basic skeletons and zombies are mindless undead with no free will; they are animated to do the will of a spellcaster.

You do have to have a certain type of spell to raise zombies. Look at Animate Dead and some of the higher-level necromancy spells. The reason you don't get zombies when you cast Raise Dead or Resurrection is because those spells are designed to bring the spirit back into the body being raised, which is why they are higher level clerical spells than Animate Dead.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:49 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

On a another related note, I must cast my vote of support for Wall of Moonlight. As it deals Magic Damage, it cannot be resisted save through Magic Resistance and is consistent in its' damage.

Not to mention that it can hit multiple targets.

Oh... and another thing. The first Wall of Moonlight must expire first (even if you got spell-interrupted), before you can cast the next one. Another reason why I coded the spell into my AI Script. So that the player need not count one turn in between the castings.