Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 11:33 AM   #71
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Civil disobedience - would that be one of the foundation stones upon which non violent activism was built?

Yes, the very one. Thoreau's essay of that name has influenced non-violent activists from Gandhi to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 10-04-2001, 11:55 AM   #72
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Yes, the very one. Thoreau's essay of that name has influenced non-violent activists from Gandhi to Martin Luther King, Jr.

Aha, oh sage and enlightened one, then tis probably about time I read it. It will provide me with a scholarly and reasoned answer that I can give to people when they ask me why I stand around on cold street corners pestering them to do this and that.....

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-04-2001, 01:10 PM   #73
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

These are the quotes, which I think define how I try to live
------------------------------------------------------------

"If you are going through hell, keep going."

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it. "

“ I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious”

“I don’t know why we are here, but I’m pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves”

These are the quotes, which I think define the world in which we live
---------------------------------------------------------------------

“Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth."

"A witty saying proves nothing."

"There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread."

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. "

“People demand freedom of speech to make up for freedom of thought which they avoid”

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends”

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 10-04-2001, 01:49 PM   #74
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
These are the quotes, which I think define how I try to live
Moridin, some great quotes!

I passionately disagree with number 4, however, 'I don't know why we are here, but I am pretty sure it is not to enjoy ourselves'. That goes against everything I believe in, but everything!!

The writer of that must have been the most profoundly miserable git. What are we here for if NOT to enjoy ourselves? (If we believed that we were here to enjoy ourselves, we might perhaps think it was worthwhile keeping the world beautiful to enjoy ourselves in.) Personally, I think that particular quote and associated way of thinking is actively dangerous. The opposite of enjoying yourself is NOT enjoying yourself, and god knows there's enough of the world doing that. Follow your bliss, I say!!!!!

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 02:01 PM   #75
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I would recommend starting with his classic essay, "Civil Disobediance."

If after reading that, you want more, perhaps his work "Walden", which is widely regarded as one of the classic works of American Literature, and is a mixture of philosophy and observations of nature.

Diogenes - how COULD you?! She'll make ME read it now!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-04-2001, 02:05 PM   #76
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Diogenes - how COULD you?! She'll make ME read it now!

Hmm. I think you are overstating what you do with the books I normally thrust under your nose, not to mention my powers of persuation. How many of them books I have given you/lent you/recommended you read have you actually read, eh, lady??

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 02:08 PM   #77
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Hmm. I think you are overstating what you do with the books I normally thrust under your nose, not to mention my powers of persuation. How many of them books I have given you/lent you/recommended you read have you actually read, eh, lady??
Most of 'em actually! Though SOME I have not read all the way through

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 02:10 PM   #78
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Most of 'em actually! Though SOME I have not read all the way through

Oh all right then. Cheetah retires discomfited, thwarted in her desire to pick a fight with mumsy....

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 02:14 PM   #79
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Oh all right then. Cheetah retires discomfited, thwarted in her desire to pick a fight with mumsy....
Actually, I think I might quite like to read that Civil Disobedience thing....

------------------

Old 10-04-2001, 02:51 PM   #80
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Moridin, some great quotes!

I passionately disagree with number 4, however, 'I don't know why we are here, but I am pretty sure it is not to enjoy ourselves'. That goes against everything I believe in, but everything!!

The writer of that must have been the most profoundly miserable git. What are we here for if NOT to enjoy ourselves? (If we believed that we were here to enjoy ourselves, we might perhaps think it was worthwhile keeping the world beautiful to enjoy ourselves in.) Personally, I think that particular quote and associated way of thinking is actively dangerous. The opposite of enjoying yourself is NOT enjoying yourself, and god knows there's enough of the world doing that. Follow your bliss, I say!!!!!

I think it is the interpretation of #4 that differs...I can certainly see your point, but that is not the interpretation that I make. For me it states that our purpose is not only for self-enjoyment...while enjoyment is needed, the world is much more complicated. Imagine if everyone just enjoyed themselves, where would the starving people be? Who would fight for the poor? There are unenjoyable things that need to be addressed...do you see what I am (poorly) trying to state. That enjoyment is obviously ok, but enjoyment to the point of ignoring the rest of the world is not.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!