Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2001, 08:19 AM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hicks. Rat fink. Just saw video footage as well. Al Qa'eda members talking about the "martyrdom" project.

Seems they've released stuff to silence the sceptics trying to say there's no proof.

Hicks is a 26 year old from Adelaide. WTF??? He's been handed over to the US after being caught fighting for Al Qa'eda inAfgahnistan.

Biting the hand that feeds or what? A terrorist attack was planned for Australia.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 10:08 AM   #2
Sojourner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Huh? What does the tape have to do with Hicks?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 12:19 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Sojourner:
Huh? What does the tape have to do with Hicks?

He's part of the organisation in the video tape?

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 12:32 PM   #4
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I wonder if Hicks and Walker roomed together in terrorist school?
Old 12-14-2001, 12:48 PM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

Yorick, will this Hicks guy qualify as a traitor under Australian law?

Here's hoping that he's properly tried, properly convicted, and properly punished.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 08:14 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I don't know about Hicks under the Australian Constitution and it's rules, but it may, actually, be hard to convict Walker for treason under the US Constitution.

The only way he can be convicted for treason, is if there are two witnesses who can testify to seeing a specific "overt" act, or if he admits it in open court. It's been made pretty clear that being captured with the Taliban or Al-Queta doesn't necessarily qualify as an overt act.

Of course, there are many, many other charges he could face. He could lose his US citizenship if he swore an allegiance to the Al Queta or the Taliban. The catch is he'd have to have intended to reject his citizenship by swearing that oath.

He may not end up fitting the legal description of a traitor, but after hearing the comments he made to his parents about the bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen, he will always be a traitor in my mind. His dad commented how sad the deaths were and about the men killed on the Cole being Walker's age, to which Walker replied, "they had no business being there so..." Nice! He said more on the subject, but I can't remember it at the moment. This was the first real "red flag" his parents received about his becoming "radical".

I have only two things to say about Mr. Walker's current situation...."He had no business being there so...," and "it's too bad he didn't suffer the same fate as those brave US servicemen and women he 'judged' in Yemen."

I would be interested to hear more about Mr. Hicks. This thread is the first I've heard of him.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:48 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Magness:
Yorick, will this Hicks guy qualify as a traitor under Australian law?

Here's hoping that he's properly tried, properly convicted, and properly punished.

Yes he does, but he will likely be tried in connection with the terrorist attack on the US first, so the US has first dibs on him I would say. He's likely to face the death penalty if convicted there, since Australia does not have the death penalty.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote