Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

I have two email accounts one in MSN Hotmail and the other in Yahoo. I dont know if its me or the server, but everytime I try and access either of them, My computer comes up with "page cannot be displayed" ????. Can anyone help me here? Im not sure if im infected or something but i just recently used my anti-virus, spyware and deleted cookies and temp files and it still comes up with the same result. Anyone accessed thier yahoo or hotmail recently?

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

LOL why does everyone always go on about viruses, spyware, etc. whenever something goes wrong? It's like a chant or something, getting very cliched. It can be any number of reasons, for example, recently my connection stopped working properly because the DNS settings under network options got changed to specific IP addresses as opposed to "autodetect". It could be a server problem or a local DNS error, or anything other than spyware (by definition, it collects information, not stops pages from loading, LOL).

Is it only on those two sites? On all sites on the domains or only the login pages? All the time, or only recently? You checked your network connection settings?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
LOL why does everyone always go on about viruses, spyware, etc. whenever something goes wrong?
because people think it is standard already. But i did say about deleting cookies and temp files as well.

as for my networking configuration.. everything is still the same. i have not changed anything and i can still surf the internet. it is when i input my login user name and password then it displays "page not displayed" as suppose to the email inbox or something. i was able to access my emergency lycos email so im a little safe for now.

so any other ideas?

edit: hotmail started a few days ago and yahoo started recently.

[ 05-24-2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-24-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

What about your cookie settings? Certainly Hotmail wont let you in without allowing first and third party cookies..did those settings get changed?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm.. cant hurt to try it out.. but i have not touched anything nor installed anything that would get my cookies changed or the settings changed as well (but i deleted it recently).

so.. um.. where under internet options is the cookie settings?

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-24-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

It's funny though cos I didn't change my network settings either, just found that suddenly I couldn't acces some sites. Turns out something had changed the DNS IP addresses. Could be aliens or malware

Anyway, just thought something like that might have happened to you, and if that can happen, then cookie settings could get changed, as stated. It's all very mysterious, but to tell you the truth, internet communications, while not as bad as wireless comms, are inherently unreliable. Of course, this doesn't explain a recurring problem such as yours, but the point is, you never know, there are a million ways things can go wrong. Oops I'm blabbing away again

Have you tried logging in from a different comp? Have you got your friends to try logging in with their passwords on your comp and other comps? Have you tried, disconnecting from the net then reconnecting and trying to log in directly after you reconnect? (This worked for me when DNS settings were messed up- funnily, connection was only affected about a minute after connecting)
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-25-2004, 07:42 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

mysterious indeed. i can access my hotmail and yahoo once again. its like a phenomenon that comes and goes away unsolved. wierd. well im not complaining now. [img]smile.gif[/img]

thanks once again vaskez and shamrock

Catch me if you can..