Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-19-2002, 01:12 PM   #41
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
In general despite any protests to the contrary most people will fight to save their life, no one willingly just lays their head down on the chopping block. It is easy for people sitting comfy at home to speculate on how they will react to these types of situation. Fortunately for most people, they never actually have to face that moment of truth, wether to let a loved one die or to kill defending them....or at least attempt to kill.

Very true. Before you find yourself in a situation where you have to act, you cannot really know what you would do to defend yourself. I for one certainly never considered that I would even be *able* to act violently in self-defence - but when it came to the crunch, I realised I could and would. I am now a much more confident person as a result, and completely re-evaluated my thoughts on use of violence. In situations like that, anger can be a life-saver - and until you're there, you don't know the extent of anger you are capable of.
Old 05-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #42
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Very true. Before you find yourself in a situation where you have to act, you cannot really know what you would do to defend yourself. I for one certainly never considered that I would even be *able* to act violently in self-defence - but when it came to the crunch, I realised I could and would. I am now a much more confident person as a result, and completely re-evaluated my thoughts on use of violence. In situations like that, anger can be a life-saver - and until you're there, you don't know the extent of anger you are capable of.
I speculated a lot about what I would do the first time I was faced with a life and death situation. Turns out I was scared spitless screamed my head off, unloaded my clip into the air and then hid behind my sandbags while I spent nearly 10 mintues trying to figure out how to reload (something I had trained to do with my eyes closed for years)......fortunatley for us, the terrorists were only interested in spraying the building with ammo then running for the hills before the Marine cobra's arrived on site....I did much better after I survived that first round of ...panic. The old vets lauhed their arses off at me...but then later they told me they had had pretty much the same experience in their first firefight.

You know...after you get that first experience behind you (assumingyou survive) you do gain a lot of confidence and you do believe in yourself a lot...it may partly help why I sound so arrogant [img]smile.gif[/img] I am a rather....confident person...doesnt make any future crisis any less scary but at least you know what to expect.

[ 05-19-2002, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-19-2002, 11:08 PM   #43
Alexander
Drow Warrior

I voted no, however I don't think there will be very many negative repercussions if it takes place. People will just defend themselves with knives and bats - which work very nicely if you know how to use them.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:43 AM   #44
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm not against guns and i wouldn't outlaw them totally. I know some sport shooters and they handle their guns in a safe manner. They have them locked in a box and that one is again locked in a cupboard or something. The gun isn't loaded and the bullets are locked away in another place.
I do however think that certainly the US could have some tougher gun laws. It's one thing to carry a pistol but, as it is legal in certain states, a submachine gun is totaly different.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:53 AM   #45
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Heh, this is a pretty close fight between "yes" and "no"
Old 05-20-2002, 06:11 AM   #46
Donut
Jack Burton

Unless you have been held up at gunpoint your opinion ain't worth the message board it's posted on.

I've been held up three times. Okay, the first one was only two pipes welded together but I didn't know that at the time. I only wish I had had a gun because I would have blown their heads off. Or they might have blown mine off.

I wouldn't have killed the third one though - he was so polite to me.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-20-2002, 06:39 AM   #47
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Unless you have been held up at gunpoint your opinion ain't worth the message board it's posted on.

I've been held up three times. Okay, the first one was only two pipes welded together but I didn't know that at the time. I only wish I had had a gun because I would have blown their heads off. Or they might have blown mine off.

I wouldn't have killed the third one though - he was so polite to me.
ROFLMAO Donut!

FWIW, my comment was not intended to imply that people's opinions were not valid unless they had experienced a life or death situation - I tend to view most opinions with interest even if I don't agree (although I have been known to say 'bollocks' occassionally LOL) and everyone is entitled to have an opinion about anything, whether based on direct experience or no. I think it may be the case though that many people react differently than they would have expected - be it running around screaming or attempting to knock the guy's block off. If you see what I mean! Anyway, that's the point I was trying to make in my own incoherent and ineloquent manner. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 08:40 AM   #48
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
I think that they should be because it would just make things alot easier [img]smile.gif[/img]
Easier for whom? to do what?

Old 05-20-2002, 08:43 AM   #49
MagiK

I hope everyone is only making one vote [img]smile.gif[/img]

There doesnt seem to be a facility for checking this (Im still learning about the poll thingie)

[ 05-20-2002, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-20-2002, 08:52 AM   #50
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
ROFLMAO Donut!

Actually Epona this one isn't a lie. (Although I would understand why people would think so. It was during my long career as a betting shop manager. The first robbery occured in Essex Road. When the two twats were caught robbing another shop in Kentish Town it turned out that the shotgun was indeen two pieces of metal welded together. The second robbery happened at The Angel. He was alone and only got £18. The third robbery took place in Acton. The guy said please and thank you.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show