Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2002, 02:56 PM   #21
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Yup, and Hades the cold underworld is divided into 3 (I think) sections, one of which is called Tartarus, and (as everyone knows) is guarded by the 3 headed dog Cerberus at the river Styx.

Tartaros is the place where the evil people are punished (Tantalos, Sisyphos, Ixion etc), the Isles of Bliss is where the good ones are sent, and the Elysian Fields are the in-between place, where the river Lethe flows that makes everybody who drinks from it lose all their memories (hey, that reminds me: I saw Memento last night - what a brilliant movie!! [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 01-27-2002, 03:05 PM   #22
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:

Again, I must say I'm impressed by your knowledge, Mel.

see ya!

Not at all.
If I really knew something, I would be able to actually READ them in Greek, like I know some people here can do. [img]smile.gif[/img]
It's always frustrated me, that. ~sigh~ One day I'm gonna break the world record of being proficient in the most languages... hehe
(will have to hurry though... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] does anybody remember what the highest number of languages spoken was?)

Edit: ack damn signature... sorry

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Melusine ]

Old 01-27-2002, 03:08 PM   #23
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Awwwwww but I do!!! I always loved that story about the giant (isn't the norse name for giants jotun? [img]graemlins/confused2.gif[/img] ) called Thrym who stole Thor's hammer Mjöllnir and Loke thought of a way to get it back? So they told Thrym that Freya wanted to marry him if he gave Mjöllnir back in return , but sent Thor dressed up as Freya instead. The giants had this big feast, and Thrym was so surprised that "Freya" could eat such an amount of meat and drink so much wine. But Loke assured him that all women in love were like that. Then Thrym pulled "her" on his lap for a little kiss, and Freya's eyes started glowing like coals in the hearth. Thrym got frightened, but again Loke assured him that it was just the way a woman in love behaved. Then Thrym got out Mjöllnir as per the agreement, but as soon as he gave it to "freya" she pulled off her disguise and bashed all the giants over the head with it!! LOL
Always loved that story. [img]smile.gif[/img] I also really like the Norse myth about the creation of the world, with the giant Ymir and the big cow (Audhumla?)

*claps hands enthusiastically*
Bravo! Only one slight detail..
The gods didn't drink wine!
That's for sissys ( [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), they drank mead, and lots of it too
That's something we swedes are very proud off, our mead (mjöd)! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Otherwise it was very good! [img]smile.gif[/img]
And yes, it was Audumla that was the "mother" of the earth..
She licked the ice and so created two people that soon became the creators of Midgård (if I recall correctly?)
I agree with Byronas, it's very flattering to see someone who's interested in your country's mythology and culture [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2002, 03:09 PM   #24
Sorcerer Alex

Something tells me Mel is enjoying this thread [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2002, 03:23 PM   #25
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Sir ReGiN:

And yes, it was Audumla that was the "mother" of the earth..
She licked the ice and so created two people that soon became the creators of Midgård (if I recall correctly?)
I agree with Byronas, it's very flattering to see someone who's interested in your country's mythology and culture [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think you recalled correctly, only I thought it was only one person she created (Buri I think) who got a son, Bor, who married Bestla. (doesn't say HOW he got a son though, or where Bestla came from ) From the marriage came Odin and his two brothers and they killed Ymir to form Midgard from his bones and flesh. But that's all IIRC [img]smile.gif[/img]

Arledrian: up yours! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Bet if I was your age, you'd be one of those guys bullying me [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Hey Regin, I did a Google search and found a nice short summary of the Norse creation myth: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/creation.html

So now we know Odin's brothers were Vili and Vé, LOL

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Melusine ]

Old 01-27-2002, 03:45 PM   #26
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Ah yes, it all comes back to me now..
Guess those teachers at first grade weren't completely useless [img]smile.gif[/img]
Although there are many different stories on how the earth was created..
Some say that it was made from Ymer's body, and some say that Oden, Vile och Ve lifted it out of the water..
But it's still very interesting, and it's fun to catch up on it again [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2002, 05:49 PM   #27
Lord Shield

Myths are strange. I believe it was an Inca one where the God of War was born fully armed and armoured and slaughter his elder siblings that wanted to kill him while in the womb

Very messy them Incas

Old 01-27-2002, 05:53 PM   #28
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Myths are strange. I believe it was an Inca one where the God of War was born fully armed and armoured and slaughter his elder siblings that wanted to kill him while in the womb

Very messy them Incas

That has parallels with Greece again - Athene sprang fully armed from Zeus. From his head I think. She didn't kill any siblings though.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:45 PM   #29
LennonCook
Jack Burton

a few things I picked up where Melusine is infact WRONG...

1. Hades was the Greek God of Death, lord of the Underworld yes. Hades was NOT the name of the underworld though. The correct names are the Halls of Hades or the House of Hades.

2. Greek and Roman gods were NOT the same with different names. They were actually fairly different, but are associated together because they had a similar role. Their personalities and the ways they were worshipped infact differed a bit.

3. There were 2 Gods of the Sun, yes, but NOT at the same time as you seem to imply. Ever heard the story of the how the Sun burned the africans black ??
Helios was in charge then, but after that Zeus cast him down from the Gods, and put Apollo god of Medicine and of Music in charge of the sun.

4. Cupid was NOT existant at the same time as Aphrodite. Aphrodite was Greek, but Cupid was ROMAN!!! This is one of the common misconceptions, the greek name for Cupid was Eros (which incedently is greek for love). Another of these misconeceptions would be Hercules being a Greek hero. He was the ROMAN GOD of strength. The greek hero associated with him was called Herakles.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:10 AM   #30
Donut
Jack Burton

I know a woman who is an historical thanatologist. She studies the history of death and the dying. Strange job!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show