Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-23-2004, 03:30 AM   #21
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
http://www.iran-daily.com/1383/2143/...nomy.htm#24144

Australians Work Longest Hours

SYDNEY, Australia, Nov. 19-
New evidence showing Australians are working the longest hours in the developed world, AFP reported.
They are working so hard, in fact, that they risk making themselves sick, with higher than usual rates of stress, anxiety and depression, according to the research by the Australia Institute think-tank.
The analysis of countries including the United States, Japan, Germany and France showed Australians, even if they had used up their annual leave, could take the rest of this year off and still have worked the same average number of hours of other industrialized countries.
"Whilst Australians often think of themselves as living in the land of the long weekend, they are now working the longest hours in the developed world and in fact are at risk of working themselves sick," Institute director Clive Hamilton said.
He said Australian employees work an average of 1,855 hours a year compared with the developed country average of 1,643. Their Norwegian counterparts work just 1,376 hours a year on average, he added.
"Australians work harder than the super-efficient Germans, the Americans and even the Japanese who are known for the phenomenon of karoshi or 'death by overwork'," Hamilton said.
To bring their annual working hours down to the average, Australian employees would have to take their legislated four weeks' annual leave, then stop working from November 20 until December 31, he said.
While the number of public holidays enjoyed by Australian workers is on a par with the average of Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries, the annual leave entitlement is below the European average of five weeks a year.
"Australians are paying the price for overwork," Hamilton said. "They are reporting higher degrees of stress and anxiety, and obesity, depression and heart disease are on the rise."
Shorter working hours in economically sound nations such as Switzerland, Germany and the Britain demonstrated that long working days were not necessary for economic strength, he added. "On the contrary, working to the point where our personal and community bonds are weakened is not only economically inefficient, it is socially irresponsible," Hamilton said.
I can believe this - I work about 2800 hours a year, it's increased bigtime in the last five years.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:32 AM   #22
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

On the plus side, we party harder than anyone else.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:46 AM   #23
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle eye:
*cough* *cough* sure they do.
I'm with Callum - hehe, that's my name too!
Except MY dad somtimes doesn't come back 'till early morning.
Your name is Callum?

Wow! That's pretty cool... never met anyone who had my name before.

I will now have to hunt you down and kill you, of course (please fill out contact details on the form attached to this sheet ), but I will feel some kind of spiritual connection to you while I'm doing it... Well... I might.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:04 PM   #24
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle eye:
* The only reason Australians are so stressed is because they have to cope with Howards decisions
Actually the reason why the majority of Australians are so stressed is because of the pace of life in London!!

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 11-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #25
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
On the plus side, we party harder than anyone else.
I wouldn't be too sure about that.