Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 05:22 AM   #1
D*Ranged

I'll get into topic straight and true...

WHO...of WHAT do YOU guys put as your racial enemy when playing as any form of Ranger?

Mine? Toss-up between Lich and Mind Flayer. Or a Vampire.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Duagloth Duskryn
Dungeon Master

Lich...mhm...no, not really dangerous with the right tacticts...

Vampire? There is a great number of this dangerous creatures in the game...

I would take mind flayer, really really dangerous creatures, maybe the most dangerous one in the game. But in the other side, with some death clouds they are not really a problem...

open the door, throw some clouds, close the door and wait till they`re dead *evilgrin*

take the mind flayer

[ 07-25-2005, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: Duagloth Duskryn ]
Old 07-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
D*Ranged

Quote:
Originally posted by Duagloth Duskryn:
Lich...mhm...no, not really dangerous with the right tacticts...

Vampire? There is a great number of this dangerous creatures in the game...

I would take mind flayer, really really dangerous creatures, maybe the most dangerous one in the game. But in the other side, with some death clouds they are not really a problem...

open the door, throw some clouds, close the door and wait till they`re dead *evilgrin*

take the mind flayer
Really? Apart from Sunray or False dawn I couldn't even do anything against them...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Liches require high level spells to even have them connect, level 7+ i believe. So that would be a decent choice, having said that, there arent huge ammounts of liches in the game.

Vampires is a solid choice, almost cant go wrong with that choice. There are many vampires in the game, all of which can cause alot of damage (read: level drain)

Mind Flayers are easily handled by summoning skeletons/mordy's swords. Although there are a fair few of them in the game, there are no where near as many as there are vampires.

My other choice is Dragons. Yes i know i have more fingers than dragons to slay, but they are such tough foes that the extra +to hit and damage is greatly appreciated.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
GoblinZ
Dungeon Master

I wouldn't wear down my braincells pondering such, the bonus isn't all THAT great.
GoblinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
Duagloth Duskryn
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:

My other choice is Dragons. Yes i know i have more fingers than dragons to slay, but they are such tough foes that the extra +to hit and damage is greatly appreciated.
Dragons? mhm...

You know that there are less dragons in the game than you`ve got fingers?^^
the Dragons are such heavy enemies, i dont think this little bonus will help you a lot...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

There are two schools of thought when it comes to Favored Enemy: early-game and late-game. By the time you're facing vampires and liches and dragons, you're powerful enough to face them. (Or powerful enough that a +4 attack roll bonus isn't going to matter much.)

I think I pick Otyugh or something like it.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

I would go vamps.

Basically you want somethings that you meet fairly frequently, are tough to kill and that the bonus will make a difference, bearing in mind your tactics. I wouldn't pick dragons because my tanks never usually get too close, I tend to kill them with magic using summons to distract him. Liches, again the bonus probably wouldn't be used to full effects given my tactics and there aren't enoughof them imho to pick it. I would want something that my ranger is frequently going to be going toe-to-toe with (or bow-to-other-side-of-the-room). With the more powerful creatures I find I rely more on magic so that the bonus wouldn't be put to best use.

So vamps, as tey come up regulalry, are a difficult enough foe to want to have a bonus against and because my ranger would play an important role in the fights with them.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
GoblinZ
Dungeon Master

Pick paladin, they kick more ass than those tree huggin' pansies called rangers.

With a paladin kit you get immunities and innate abilities that actually are useful, this in addition to being able to swing one of the better blades that side o' the planes.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-25-2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: GoblinZ ]
GoblinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

White Lancer, liches are immune to level 1-5 spells, so level 6+ spells work on them.

Picking dragons isn't a very useful choice. I tend to usually take out dragons using spells anyway (a couple lower resistances, a pierce shield, and then a few ADHW).

Pirengle has a good point too. However, vampires are still the favorable choice. You'll manage to take them out a bit quicker than usual, which can help prevent draining if you're not protected.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote