Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Sad My Hand - Where we stand right now..... (Fractured Scaphoid in right hand)

Ok, so here is the update. I was in a full right arm cast for TWENTY FIVE WEEKS, and the bone did not heal. Just my wonderful luck that the scaphoid bone in your hand is one of the hardest to heal due to a lack of good blood flow to it.

So.. They took my cast off in Oct? (I think..around there..) and gave me a Velcro temp cast I can remove when needed... the pain is the worst I have felt. it's like a knife stabbing into my lower palm (by my thumb). I'm right handed, so I cannot draw -- since Jan. no work, its really depressing me, as I am a graphics artist, and its my life. I remember saying if I ever lost my arm, that would be the end of me... lol

Well, we're not there yet.. I HAVE lost it a few times.. just discouraged, and then the Doc says since I smoke (I do, I know, its bad. I smoke less than a pack a day) she WILL NOT operate on my hand to due a bone graph. She says even then, there is a chance it won't 'take' and mend.. then there is fusing the bone to your wrist, which means I would have a locked wrist. (i.e. probably no more drawing,,) And if it comes to that, I don't think I want to live like that...

I am extremely strong willed, and have been through constant chronic back and left hip pain since 1995.. it's gotten worst as the years go on, but I deal with it.. then the side pain came... thinking it was Crohn's disease (my dad had it) but lets just say they checked me bottom to top with cameras inside..(But everything checked out fine) but that side pain seems to flare up then go away for a few months then comes back.. really odd.. still, I deal.. (Pain meds since 1995..) HATE pills, but it gets me through most days well enough.

But the hand ordeal almost makes me feel cursed.. lol.. I dunno.. like I'm in a deep pit, and can't climb out, and its getting deeper and deeper... and I am losing hope. I am trying to stay strong, but its hard.. and on my Wife... without my freelance work, she has taken on nearly ALL the bills... And that makes me feel..like a burden...

So right now, ALL I can do is sit and watch TV, or play console games--can use a controller on a console due to hardly any hand movement, but I can't use a mouse for more that 20 mins before my hand starts throbbing.. still has slight swelling... (I am so BEYOND sick of watching TV. and dare I say playing console games.. same 3 over and over) lol... I just feel useless..

I am tapering down my cigs each week, and doing good so far. I GOTTA do it, not just because its for my hand surgery, but overall health!!! (Camel Wides)
I just wanted to let you know I have NOT given up on Ironworks. If and when I get my hand situation fixed, I have a YEARS worth of updating I already have planned on a paper here.

Sorry this is such a downer post. But I wanted to let you all know what is happening, and that things are really bad right now... I am trying to hold it together and not lose it.. it's super rare.. when you have 3 different pains attacking you though, it sure makes you feel....ya know.. but I won't do that.. Gotta keep hope, and think positive.. its all I got right now, and my AMAZING Wife that has put up helping me do stuff while in a cast!..

Gonna stop the post here, even typing hurts after just this post...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: My Hand - Where we stand right now..... (Fractured Scaphoid in right hand)

We don't just show up here to complain about how wrong each other's social or political views are or to share only the good things; rather, we are here to help carry each other's burdens (as much as we can) during the bad times, as well.

Noty is a physical-therapist-in-training so I will ask her what you might want to do to facilitate healing your wrist.

I'm not an artist and I don't know what medium you normally use (graphite, ink, computer-based, etc) so I can't suggest anything about how you might be able to work differently but I will put some thought into it. I do know there are various types of mice that are differently-shaped and could thus be held or used in a manner completely different from traditional mice, including (at least) one that actually slips onto your hand...even though mouse technology will ultimately die at the hands of touch-screen.

Anyway...the next time you start to feel like you are "losing it" then e-mail me and rip me a new one instead of anyone else. You'll feel better and I won't take it personally.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: My Hand - Where we stand right now..... (Fractured Scaphoid in right hand)

Sorry to hear that Dan I don't have time to post right now but I wanted to say I hope things get better for you mate.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: My Hand - Where we stand right now..... (Fractured Scaphoid in right hand)

Keep your spirits up Z, you'll be back to whacking off right handed in no time!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Take Care Ziroc! You still got your mind and alot of other things going for you! You could probably lose your mind a few times and still be alright though!

There is a Medical Marijuana law gaining traction in the Florida leglislature. In the future may more pain managment options become available to you.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry for you ongoing ills, Dan. Maybe Chewie's right, and you just need a little medical MJ. :stoner:

Given your level of pain, maybe Prescription drug or nerve pills are more in order, but IMO those tend to be incredibly addictive. I don't mean to say you shouldn't find what's needed to deal with the pain, though.

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 12-18-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Pain medication is a wonderful thing. I had an Rx for Percocet this past summer for my health problems and received Dilaudid a couple of times when the pain was bad enough for an E.R. visit. It's hard to describe just how good it feels to have that warm, soothing feeling spread through your body and simply erase the pain you've been feeling constantly for so long.

Of course, that is the danger of pain meds as well. I can see how easy it would be to become addicted to them. I would look forward to the Dilaudid because it not only took the pain away, it made me feel flushed and warm all over - a very blissful feeling after several hours of constant pain.

Having lived with chronic pain myself, I've learned the best course is to aim for pain management, rather than pain elimination. It's great if you can eliminate the pain completely, but if it is too persistent and pervasive, then getting it down to a dull ache is often relief enough.

Also, the narcotics simply won't have that same blissful effect if you are NOT at that higher level of pain. Yeah, it might still give that warm, flushed feeling a little bit, but the effect is minimized when the pain isn't at that higher level, because the BEST part is having that level of pain eliminated. The warm, fuzzy glow is just a bonus.

Because of my Crohn's, I simply cannot take ordinary pain killers like Ibuprofen, because they actually aggravate my symptoms, so I ended up taking Percocet for relatively minor pains. Not because I was addicted, but because I didn't have anything else I could take. It was definitely overkill and, since my pain was much lower to begin with, I didn't get the same feeling of relief. Fortunately, my doc prescribed Tramadol, which is a lower-level pain medication and it worked great.

Dan - I hope you also find an effective treatment for the pain that doesn't run the risk of addiction.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, for back pain, I've been on Ultram (Tramadol Cerek) and Vicodin for years.. not that much.. but due to the 'losing it--i.e. being bored and worried' I was prescribed Xanax 0.5mg 4/d.. yeah... that shit is NO joke.
The first time I took it, I went to see Transformers 3, and got home, and a week later, I said " We should go see Transformers 3". Donna looked at me and said WE SAW THAT..

I didn't remember it at all. So I kinda stopped taking it only when SUPER necessary. scary shit. I DO NOT like any drug messing with my mind.. losing memory like that is bad.

It also helped my side pain--which began 2 years ago.. would come for a few weeks then be gone.. then 2 MONTHS and gone, like 'Crohn's early flare ups'.. Thought I might have Crohn's (My Dad had it, and my Step brother HAS it). I was checked out 'bottom to top'..lol, AND a barium xray of my stomach.. Drinking that white chalk was vile, and will never forget HAHAHA...

If You stop taking Xanax? Throat pain in thyroid area, chest tightness and cannot sleep for 2-3 days. VERY dangerous drug.

Hate taking more pills.. ugh.. but I am doing better.. xanax did help the hand pain a bit then it went away.. (I washed the car, and that's what aggravated it).. lol.. I am a stubborn ass.. Still think I can push though something with the hand, and pay for it. hehe..

I just want it healed... so cigs are lowering! Wanna get back to WORK! Got so much to do... I feel like I lost a year.. I did.... 2011 was not a good year.
But then I think of Japan's Quake and Tsunami, and my ills seem trivial, ya know? All the vets returning from War, with MISSING legs and arms..

Puts it in perspective, and I deal as well as I can..

BTW -- Cerek-- I do see a GREAT pain management Doc! Not a pill mill ass that ruins it for the GOOD Doctors.. I sometimes get epidurals when my lower back is killing me, or a Kenalog trigger point shot.. temporary helps too.
I just miss the days being pain free.... but when I DO have good days, and feel better, I cram so much stuff into the time I have, I sometimes pay for it... so I must take it easy.. don't go crazy with work...

2012, Here we come..... All of this won't matter if what some say happens on Dec 21, 2012.

Just wanted to say Happy Holidays to all, and be safe!! And hope 2012 is better..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote