Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 01:32 AM   #41
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Balthazar had an army of mercenaries. And as he's living in a monestary, an army of monks, too.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:41 AM   #42
GoblinZ
Dungeon Master

Yes, and considering how all newbies favor the martial artist monks, his monastery should actually be overcrowded with level 1 n0...
ERhm... ^^
GoblinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #43
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Then they need to be stronger. I like the scenario though, very Martial Artist, which is appropriate. I had problems with him the very first time I played through. But most of the other's of the five were much harder. As stated above, Ilasera was a joke, mainly used to give those who started new chars for ToB some starter gear.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:03 PM   #44
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by GoblinZ:
I don´t like the sound of making him an turbo monk who kills all.
Those abilities are good (in my opinion, anyway) suggestions, but none of the actual numbers are 'set in stone' as it were, all mods should be reviewed by a broad range of people before they can be considered 'balanced.' But I can tell you one thing right now: Balthazar & Monks should be of at least comparable difficulty to the Ravager & Bone Blades.

Quote:
In my opinion he should either have a handful of powerful followers, OR his surroundings could be trapped heavily;
I'm against the "powerful followers" angle both because it's been done before with other Bhaalspawn and because it's frankly rather lame: It's the Bhaalspawn who's supposed to be all special and powerful, and not because they have some special charisma that makes powerful people want to fight for them. Abazigal isn't respected because he's got Iycanth with all those pet eyeballs, he's respected because he's a friggin' Draconic Kensai/Mage who casts Hardiness and Imprisonment. I also like his ratio of followers: Sure, his mate and his offspring might be willing to put their lives on the line to defend their home and their leader, but I doubt that Balthazar's precious mercenaries would be that zealous.
I'm against the trap scenario because the only people in Amkethran who could do that would be Esamon and/or his Smugglers, who wouldn't exactly be motivated to help out Balthazar or the monastery, nor would Balthazar be likely to trust them (or any Thieves, or even Bards) to assist in his defense.

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Balthazar will undoubtedly not allow himself to commit acts of murder, acts of violence or any of that kind. He will not allow himself to give in to the taint. I see Balthazar as a person who's willing to sacrifice everything (including his own life) to remove the taint of Bhaal from Faerun. This means he will not, ever give in to it.
Using it does not equal giving in to it. Strictly speaking, to "not use" it means to die instantly, since it's your soul and it's (half of) the reason you're alive in the first place. As long as you don't actually murder someone for the sake of murdering them, as long as you don't embrace such truly Bhaal-like traits as using the Slayer form, as long as you're not Evil, then you can use whatever divine heritage you've got--in a Good way, and to achieve Good ends. Thus, Balthazar can scrape the bottom of the barrel when he's kicking the PC's ass, as long as he really intends to follow through with his plan (which we have no reason to doubt).

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Even though Balthazar has the greatest amount of essence other than you, he can't summon up an infinite supply of human beings. That's Yaga-Shura's job.
You know, I can't tell if you're being honest or sarcastic there. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Technically, the only infinite supply belongs to Sendai--although why it's Duergar and Orogs instead of Drow I don't know. If anyone's fanatical and heedless of each others' lives, it's Drow....although doubtless their slaves are willing to throw themselves at the party, because that would be a lot less painful than living under the Drow.
I don't mind Yaga-Shura's henchmen, because it's a major plot event that he's assembled an army. But more importantly, he himself is a decent fight--the only time he's a pushover is his Unimproved, post-Nyalee version. Pre-Nyalee he's easily the strongest of the Five.
I don't mind Sendai's henchmen, because someone like Sendai (backed up by the prophecy) would easily draw the vast majority of Drow to her banner. And, again, she by herself is a decent fight.
I do mind Balthazar's army, because, as I mentioned, it is far more powerful than he is. Well, the Mercenaries anyway, the Monks are pretty much just roadkill.

[ 07-16-2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 07-17-2005, 01:23 AM   #45
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Six, you should know by now... It's almost my motto. When in doubt, choose sarcasm.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #46
Link
Jack Burton

Six, you're spouting rubbish and you know it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I understand that you believe another band of powerful followers is rubbish, but I think Balthazar actually has the best revenue so far to actually have a band of powerful followers. Gromnir? Nope. Yaga-Shura? He's got an army, so he doesn't need it. Sendai? Hello-oo - of course not! Abazigal? Ridiculous, the man's a [as you yourself so happened to say] "Draconite Kensai/Mage"!

Quote:
Originally posted by Six of Spades:
Using it does not equal giving in to it. Strictly speaking, to "not use" it means to die instantly, since it's your soul and it's (half of) the reason you're alive in the first place. As long as you don't actually murder someone for the sake of murdering them, as long as you don't embrace such truly Bhaal-like traits as using the Slayer form, as long as you're not Evil, then you can use whatever divine heritage you've got--in a Good way, and to achieve Good ends. Thus, Balthazar can scrape the bottom of the barrel when he's kicking the PC's ass, as long as he really intends to follow through with his plan (which we have no reason to doubt).

"Using it does not equal giving in to it"? That's a really poor excuse, Six. "Oh I'm sorry Obi-Wan Kenobi, but I accidently tried to choke you!" - "~gurgle~" But of course that does not mean I'm succumbing to the Dark Side!!"

Frankly speaking, you're not speaking from Balthazar's viewpoint at all!! Would Balthazar resort to violence, simply because "in the end, he has real good intentions"? Of course not! It would jeopardise his plan to rid Faerun of Bhaal's essence once and for all. For all Balthazar knows, the power that's released because of your death will overcome him.
The essence of Bhaal may be in every one of his siblings, but is it not true that the essence is awakened by your actions, by what the PC does? The ability to control your powers, your Slayer Change, your Pocket Plane: all comes through more and more experience with your soul, with using the powers that came with Bhaal's essence.

Balthazar must have felt that with the thinning of the essence, it became harder and harder for him to control himself. To not resort to violence and murder, not to give in to the dark taint that came with his soul. Other than Sendai, Abazigal, Gromnir and Yaga-Shura; they are more than willing to slaughter entire cities in order to please their bloodlust.

I mean: Balthazar is a monk! He hid himself away from the world, in a monestary in a little desert town called Amkethran. He has hired dozens of mercenaries to protect himself from possible dangers, all to prevent his plan from failing.

In short: I disagree. But I hope to continue a healthy (and lengthy) discussion. Forgive me for being (overly?) rude, but shall we imagine that we were just having a heated real-life argument?

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:08 AM   #47
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Hm... Wait a second. I don't know how I feel about him having the opinion that one can use their heritage in a good way. Don't you remember the "How many bodies?" speech? He even gives that to you if have a 20 Rep and acknowledges that people are singing your praises from the mountaintops.

Something to think about.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #48
Link
Jack Burton

I always thought that speech was meant to stir a little self-reflection in the PC. Although people are singing praises and are hailing you in as the world's number one hero, you still have blood on your hands. The blood of many.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:52 AM   #49
Western Paladin
Dungeon Master

Quote:
He has hired dozens of mercenaries to protect himself from possible dangers, all to prevent his plan from failing.
Wasn't his plan to eliminate all the Bhaalspawn and commit a ritual suicide once he was the last so that the essence would be eliminated for ever?

"We saved the world. I say we party." -- Buffy
Western Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:45 AM   #50
GoblinZ
Dungeon Master

And that´s what he needs the mercs for; to eliminate the bhaalies.
GoblinZ is offline   Reply With Quote