Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2002, 12:57 PM   #1
Heatmiser
Dungeon Master

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I know about the evil quests that come when you join Bohdi and though I didn't join her, just for the heck of it, I wanted to see how tough it would be to kill Aran Linvail.
I am playing MP with all self-created chars. They are decent levels(low to mid teens I think) and I CLUA'ed many of the best equipment for each of them (this is like my third time playing through and I wanted a party that would be able to waste a dragon early on). The problem- when I attack Aran he dies pretty easily, but his henchman Something Gath(?) appears from the shadows and wastes each of us with a single hit. First, can he be killed and if so any suggestions would be appreciated. Second, what weapon is he using?
I searched the boards and didn't find much about this.
Thanks!
Old 07-18-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Cannibal Monkey
The Magister

Arkanis Gath has 3 different forms, one of which has splint mail and a short sword +2, one has splint mail, short sword +2 and a throwing axe +3, and one has the nights gift and a short sword of backstabbing (I think)
Old 07-18-2002, 04:09 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I have extensive knowledge of this.. I suspect that the programmers put him in when you do something that would render the game impossible to complete, like making Aran and all the thieves hostile after you join them, thus making it impossible to complete the journey.. His "short sword of backstabbing" will kill anyone with one hit. He has a ring that's invisible and undroppable that only he and a few others have that give him infinite HP, immunity to Imprisonment, Flesh to Stone, Disintegrate, and everything else. There is one, and only one way to kill him, though it requires a lot of luck, a lot of skill, and either ToB, cheating, or removing the XP cap... Have a mage equipped with the Robe of Vecna cast Time Stop, then Shapechange.. Turn into a Mind Flayer and suck that jerk's brains out!

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 04:14 PM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

You can also use CTRL+Y to kill the bastard...
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:11 PM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Wierd... he shouldn`t be in his invincible form if you sided with Bodhi... reload, try again, and if it still happens, try the official patch, or the Baldurdash Fixpack... I read somewhere that Ctrl-Y doesn`t work on his invincible form.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:15 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Ctrl-Y will NOT kill him because he wears Imoen's Belt, which prevents the wearer from ever reaching 0 HP. He CAN still die from reaching 0 INT, though, which is why the Mind Flayer trick works, and I think Death by Level Drain will work as well.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:20 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I forgot to mention.. The weapon he is using is a special version of the Sword of Backstabbing that cannot be removed, so a) when you kill him you can't get it and b) if you use the console to conjure it up, it'll just sit in your inventory. If you want it you'll need to use ShadowKeeper.. But there is a substitute for this, and get in touch with me if you want to know its code and just what it can do.. I don't want to post it because I don't wanna raise anyone's ire somehow.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote