Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-26-2001, 04:28 PM   #1
Greystone
The Magister

I am considering purchasing this game, but have not yet decided. I might also just wait & get Pool of Radiance 2 and/or Wizardry 8 when released (if ever, on the second item). How does this game stack up against the first one (BG1)?

Any comments welcome.

--Greystone
Old 08-26-2001, 04:36 PM   #2
Legolas the Elven Archer

If you've played BG1 already, you don't want to miss out on this. Then again, if you have PoR, you might as well get PoR2 too. Since this IS a BG2 forum, I'll recommend buying BG2, but you could also wait for a game like Dungeon Siege (long way off) or Arcanum: of steamworks and magic obscura (which will be out soon and is going to be great as well )

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 08-26-2001, 05:08 PM   #3
Nolek Psyphon
Dungeon Master

I would definitely recommend this game.
I have played it through three times and I am still having fun with it.

[This message has been edited by Nolek Psyphon (edited 08-26-2001).]
Old 08-26-2001, 05:20 PM   #4
Crusader
Elite Waterdeep Guard

BG2 is "one" of the best crpgs i have ever played

------------------
Butt Kicking for Goodness!
Old 08-26-2001, 08:57 PM   #5
deathknight
Drow Warrior

BG2 is a must have! it has raised the bar for RPG games and is the standard to which all other rpgs will be measured for some time. While the graphics might not be up to the level of PoR2 this is a non issue to me. The character interactive and the involved quests and subplots are simply amazing. From a pure value perspective the game is enormous and has a high replay value. Most people on these forums have played it through several times.

BG 1 was superb but BG2 has so many things over the first game. first off you are not wandering around the wilderness encountering random fights. You have many sidequests you can pick up which are much much more enganging than pure wandering. Also from the main storyline point of view you don't feel as much like you are being herded in 1 direction. Overall this gives the game a much better feel to it. To a large degree you can play it how you want to play it.
Old 08-26-2001, 10:11 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I will agree with all that has been said above, and this is from a person who is a twenty-year veteran of 1st-person view CRPG's (the Wizardry-type games) rather than the 3rd person isometric view. But I am thoroughly getting a kick out of BG2. Mind, I will never abandon 1st person games, and don't see why I should in the first place...what this game has done has expand the genre for me, not contract it.

Character interaction is superb, as well as storyline. The humor is great, and it has a good balance of dungeon crawl and other types of non-combat encounters. All in all, a "9" out of "10."

------------------
Old 08-27-2001, 01:03 AM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Baldurs Gate 2 is the most succesful FRP that I ever played. The golden point of the game is interaction and the feeling of adventuring. You save people, help them, rescue their village and they build your statue, even you can have a stronghold you can have taxes you can help your villagers, you can HAVE ROMANCE! and sex of course This game is huge! But the most side I liked as I said the interaction between npcs and you. Daggerfall was also great, Might and Magic VI was good, Fallout was great and Phantasy Star 4 was the second best FRP that I ever played.
Old 08-27-2001, 01:06 AM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

AND I HAVE TO WARN YOU ABOUT ONE THING!

If you have a good career, have a girlfriend.

DONT PURCHASE THIS GAME

It may ruin'em all ehehe

Really! I broke up with my girlfriend cause of this game but as long as I have you Aerie my love I'm the most happiest man in the forgotten realms.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:45 PM   #9
Sorcerer Alex

Lol Zoltan....you're right in what you say. But this game is so worth it. There is a huge improvement in graphics (compared to BG 1), the sound has improved, the storyline is amazing....there isn't anything bad about it. So Greystone, do the wise thing and buy this game.

Old 08-27-2001, 01:30 PM   #10
I Give Up
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Great not only do I have to put up with the constant nightmares about my PC dieing. Now I have to worry about losing my girlfriend and my job, wonderful.

------------------
--Retreat is not an option--