Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #11
SecretMaster
Apophis

Hmm. I still say that if we put money into fuel efficient technologies and put more money into researching solar power and such, this might not be a problem.

But you whats the saddest part about this. In a year from now, we'll be wishin for $2.00 a gallon and $2.50 instead of whatever predictions say it will be next year (somewhere around 3.40 or somethin like that).

And furthermore, i admire the thought into this but it just aint gonna happen IMHO. People will a: not here about this or b: not care and screw the idea anyway.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #12
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Echoing Arvon...

This does come up every time gas prices go up or someone gets mad at the oil industry.

And it still doesn't work... because you either buy that gas (or petrol [img]smile.gif[/img] ) a day earlier or later. Oh, you really hit 'em hard in the pocketbook, didn't you... gave 'em their money on Tuesday instead of Wednesday.

If you really want to make a difference, switch to an alternate method of transportation, like a hybrid car, bicycle, or even good ol' footpower.

And naw, I'm not bitter or trying to poke fun at Jorath or anyone else who's responded. It's a noble idea, based on the boycotts of the 60s. The difference between those boycotts and not buying gas for a day is that they actually went without it...
Well, that is my feeling too actually, I just posted this to see how people here liked the idea. My feeling is people will not care, just buy gas the day before.

By the way I work in a gasstation parttime and don't have a car... so I'm kind of on both sides [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

On a related note, I was down in Tennessee last week and one of the guys I was with had a Toyota Prius as a rental car. A gas-electric hybrid. Naturally, all being IT people (aka professional geeks), we made him drive to lunch so we could check it out.

I was... amazed. The switch between gas and electric was not noticable, and the mileage and performance were admirable. I'm seriously considering one for my next vehicle, even though it will be a couple of years off. I can see the savings...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:54 PM   #14
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Bungleau has the right idea bum rides from others and no expensive gas prices to pay.

But gas here in Canada is very expensive it is at 90 cents a liter. And I think it takes about 4l to a gallon you do the math and be happy were it is at for now.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #15
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

yeah, I had heard about them, they get something like 50 miles to the gallon on open road, a little less in the city, but that sounds like it would be a cool car, and am trying to talk my husband into buying me one, heard that the breaks or wheel motion can not remember which produces the electric, so there is no having to plug it in
Old 05-18-2004, 05:00 PM   #16
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Yes, I recieved the email as well. But I'm only 13. So I don't need gas.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 05-18-2004, 06:12 PM   #17
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

How about on the 19th everyone get gas and drive off with out paying [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #18
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Don't bet on it. The retailers buffer the supply/demand. The only way to get prices moving down is by providing competition. That won't happen. There is an effective monopoly on all levels in the world of petroleum. The only thing stopping them from raising it to twice as much per barrel is the possibility of economic retribution as a country. Don't blame it all on the price of crude either. I'm sure our refineries and retailers are getting more than a little extra in this bargain too. If you use less, they'll just up the price again to compensate at this point. In order to hurt them, you'll have to find an alternate supplier. Otherwise, they know you'll pay for it eventually. They can wait a long time. Besides, everyone complains, but nobody does anything about it. I still see a ton of SUV's and big trucks on the road. People would all have to start driving economy cars and taking public transpo to even make a dent. That aint' gonna happen soon! The latest hike is ridiculous. You can't tell me the price of gas went up %25 across the board overnight! Something smells fishy.

[ 05-18-2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 05-18-2004, 08:23 PM   #19
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I like the idea of the Hybrid cars, but I would not want to buy one yet because there are still a few issues with them, i.e., if they get into a collision there could be electric live wires/electrical fires, emergency personnel could be harmed trying to rescue a person in other words, not to mention the people in the car. That sort of thing worries me, but I'm sure in time all these issues will be resolved, and maybe by then the price of them will come down as they are a bit more expensive than regular cars.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-19-2004, 05:38 AM   #20
Donut
Jack Burton

I hate to break this to you Americans but you do realise you are being shafted. They aren't even giving you a full gallon. What you are getting is only 4/5ths of a gallon!!

We get a full gallon here - for the princely sum of about £3.80!!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show