Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-14-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

25 years ago jobs were abundent here in the US. I am speaking of manufacturing then inforamtion related jobs as well. I am not educated(only high school) which i am sure most can tell by the way i type my words but i not a total idiot either.Anyway things are rapidly changing here in my area. Coal mines used to be a big contributor to jobs but now most here in WV are actually owned by companies in general Europe. Funny thing is most are just shut down with coal still in them.( Curious eh?)Except for health care, service, law, politics, or military our jobs are being outsourced or shut down and sent to other countries. But i am still curious why corporations in other countries would buy so much interest in resources in my state then just sit on it.Our local water plant is owned by a German based corporation. Should i be offended? You tell me.
I wish the world was a place where all people could get along but alas history says that tyrants will rise and fall. Militaty and economic ones.

[ 05-14-2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: faiden ]
Old 05-14-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

US may toss out even attemp to force ideals on other powers. There is a multitude of cultures and ethnic variety here , more so than any other place on earth.So US is not an isolationist state tossing out thier ideals in wait for world domination. I am not overly ignorant to not realize that there are people(actually i feel mostly corporations etc) all over the world that would like to achieve that goal. I am just sitting back throwing out things that come to mind so forgive me if things seem out of place grammarly.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

But in truth whether most feel i am crazy or not i wish that things could be as in Star Trek. One where most everyone works together for the common good. but o well one has to dream eh?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

This is an... interesting... way to bump one's post count. I almost wonder if some other posts have disappeared in the meantime.

In any case, it's important to remember that generalizations about how things were better in "the good old days" often have a tarnished view about those good old days. 25 years ago in WV was 1979... the energy crisis was just starting to tail off. Jobs in WV would have been plentiful because coal mining was a cheap alternative, labor included. That may not be the case any more.

As well, people who make comments about the "good old days", in my experience, tend to have biased views of it. Case in point: my mother, who retired as a teacher, decides whether the current state government is doing a good job based solely on what the government does for education, and for her retirement funds in particular. If the government brings in companies with a million new jobs, but talks about implementing co-pays for health insurance visits for retirees, the government is bad and has to be replaced.

It's seeing the big picture, and not focusing on the small one, that's important. And seeing this one, I expect this thread may get moved over to current events in the near future.

At least, that's how it would have been in the good old days
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

As the world's population increases, the competition for jobs does so as well.
The biggest expense in most business if the cost of labour. So, in an effort to keep the cost of goods lower, cheaper labour needs to be sourced out. Unfortunately this is usually not in North America.
Would you buy something for $10 knowing that it wasn't made in North America, or would you rather pay $50 for the same item if it were made locally.
It's human nature to be cheap and greedy, to get the most for the least. We don't care that if we buy that product for $10 our neighbor will lose a job. All we care about, is that we saved money.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry posted twice so i deleted this one.

[ 05-16-2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: faiden ]
Old 05-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #7
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
This is an... interesting... way to bump one's post count. I almost wonder if some other posts have disappeared in the meantime.

In any case, it's important to remember that generalizations about how things were better in "the good old days" often have a tarnished view about those good old days. 25 years ago in WV was 1979... the energy crisis was just starting to tail off. Jobs in WV would have been plentiful because coal mining was a cheap alternative, labor included. That may not be the case any more.

As well, people who make comments about the "good old days", in my experience, tend to have biased views of it. Case in point: my mother, who retired as a teacher, decides whether the current state government is doing a good job based solely on what the government does for education, and for her retirement funds in particular. If the government brings in companies with a million new jobs, but talks about implementing co-pays for health insurance visits for retirees, the government is bad and has to be replaced.

It's seeing the big picture, and not focusing on the small one, that's important. And seeing this one, I expect this thread may get moved over to current events in the near future.

At least, that's how it would have been in the good old days
Actually i had some other thoughts to put in. So am i wrong for adding more to my own post topic? If i am then the moderators can deal with it accordingly but i never intended it to be a bump just a topic addition.
Yeah Star Trek is all about the good old days cough cough.
I must have misunderstood the heading General to mean you could talk about anything.
And though you try to compare my topic to your mothers, my family nor I have worked or even been in a coal mine. I was just tossing in relative facts to get a point accross.Mostly that foreign corporations have alot of interest in resources and other things in US , WV included.
Bung Has Stung ME! lol

[ 05-16-2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: faiden ]
Old 05-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

actually, most of the time, just do an edit on it, and add it all to the the first one, unless you thought of this after the time ran out on editing, or did he change that yet? I am lost lol, anyway, you have a better education than I do, I got my GED in 96, but I was in my 20's then. as for work, it is out there, you just have to know where to look for it, I have found so many jobs looking in the paper, and not all require you to have experince, in fact most here pay for you training, and if it is a matter of you not liking that job..ever think of doing a tech college? they have finacial aid, or you can do home study courses for cheap, I started one, but my mom stopped paying it from here checking account, so I lost out. as for the good old days, there really is no such thing, I agree with bungleau on that one, it is a matter of what you percive them to be, me, I think the good ole days were back when I was a child, and had less to worry aboout in the matter of responsibilities

an after thought...ever think about how other countries feel about the US companies owning so many resources in their land?

[ 05-16-2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 05-16-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
faiden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Good ole days? I really should have named the primary topic something other than Jobs. I guess once it got rollin i never thought of the topic header not going along with what i wanted to get across.The day this topic was started I was trying to get the idea across in a way that wasnt good i guess. It seems that alot of people in other countries other than U.S dont like U.S at all.
I was trying to convey that other countries had alot more to do with this country than what they may know. As in Corporate Power, that they own alot of properties and or resources here and most likley have some partners etc.
True that U.S based corps have over seas assets as well. But i dont feel that Corporate Mind is bound by countries borders. They are intertwined in numerous countries with numerous people in various countries gaining profits.
I will drop this topic and apologize in not being able to get my point across in a proper manner. In the future i will keep topics like this in the current evens section which i just noticed today hehe.

[ 05-16-2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: faiden ]
Old 05-16-2004, 10:34 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My apologies, Faiden. When I posted, I didn't bother to look at your post count... you're certainly not one of the prolific "posters" around here [img]smile.gif[/img] Typically, you can just edit your post to add the additional thoughts, at least if no one else has posted yet. If someone else has added their thoughts, then it makes more sense (at least to me) to just continue the conversation. Your original conversation with yourself just struck me funny... and again, my apologies.

So, my apologies on my rude introduction of myself, and my inadvertent hijacking of your thoughts. You've posted a fair question, and either General Discussion or perhaps Current Events is the right place for it.

That being said, the world has always been changing in this regard. When the automobile came to the fore, thousands of blacksmiths were put out of work. No need to shoe a car, after all... It's a natural cycle, in many ways.

And corporations have many bosses to satisfy. Shareholders, stakeholders, employees, customers, suppliers... all need to be happy and satisfied, but you can't keep 'em all happy. Suppliers would like you to pay higher prices, but that reduces the profits available to shareholders and employees.

And when you close down a plant (or a coal mine) to move production to some other place, the stakeholders (people and businesses in the town) suffer badly. We're seeing that out here; some towns where the single major employer is leaving are really going to suffer.

But who's to blame? The employer, for moving production someplace else? Well, do you buy gas at the cheapest place around, or at the place you've always gone? Likewise, should the company pay $25/hour to get something made, or $12 an hour? Remember, someone does pay for that $13/hour difference... you. And everyone else who buys the product.

For most consumers, there is very little loyalty, yet we expect it from the companies in our area. Kind of strange when you think about it that way...

I lay the blame at the feet of the city managers. If you're running a city (just like any other business), you have to manage your customers and try to find new ones. Those places that are suffering have long held all their eggs in one or a few baskets...

That's one of the things that makes modern government so silly, in my opinion. I often read talk of trying to establish tax and decency information on the web... yet there's no way to establish that when you don't have control, other than to burden the consumer.

If someone is selling something you don't like, you have no authority over them if they've located in another country. You can only attack the consumer, who's local... and what do you do when the consumer decides that it's in his or her best interest to move somewhere else?

Perhaps this does belong in Current Events instead, but I find it an interesting perspective. And perhaps I'm still taking it in a different direction than you intended... and if so, I'll apologize yet again.

But in fact, you've just given me the perfect idea for a presentation I need to give on Tuesday night, so thanks! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.