Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2001, 12:55 PM   #21
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I'm not surprised, given the fact that the Bible wasn't written in English
Might I say....touche! *where's that little ' for over the e? hmmm.....*

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-23-2001, 01:22 PM   #22
MagiK

I know the Bible wasn't written in English...which was my point as to why our current words of colourful vernacular are not particularly sinful

Being a parent is wonderful and you find whole new sides to your self, that you never knew existed, and you learn that you are far mor creative (verbally) than you thought, the first time you really stub your toe on the corner of the coffee table.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 10-23-2001, 01:22 PM   #23
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake:
I personaly don't get the whole problem with sware words. There just words and have no effect on anything unless you let them have an effect. take these two sentences "I ■■■■■■■ don't like that" and "I realy don't like that" they both get the message through that something is not liked by the person talking. it's like a damn(as in a water stopper) and damn(as in the sware word) the same word just with two diferent meanings. so why is one bad and the other not? it realy doesn't matter.

maybe it's just me but that's the way I see things.

"If you can't say it in front of your grandmother, you shouldn't say it at all!" is the way my mother helped stopped me from becoming too obnoxious when I was a teen. You know why it worked? Because there were certain things I'd never consider saying in front of my "granny" even though those same things were cool to say to my friends.

It's really just a matter of politeness. Somethings you just don't say in certain groups. This is especially true if you believe it will be seen as offensive.

There are certain adjectives I don't want people to use to describe my mother. Sure they're just words, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life in prison for killing some inconsiderate jerk

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ronn_Bman (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old 10-23-2001, 01:37 PM   #24
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

There are certain adjectives I don't want people to use to describe my mother. Sure they're just words, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life in prison for killing some inconsiderate jerk

So terribly true dude

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 10-23-2001, 02:03 PM   #25
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I know the Bible wasn't written in English...which was my point as to why our current words of colourful vernacular are not particularly sinful

Being a parent is wonderful and you find whole new sides to your self, that you never knew existed, and you learn that you are far mor creative (verbally) than you thought, the first time you really stub your toe on the corner of the coffee table.

I know what you mean about finnding new sides. I'm a single dad.
I had to take a crash cooking course. Anything I ever fixed was
in a can or microwaveable. Now I CAN cook..amazing. We actually
have a little ritual at night where we turn everything off and
light a couple of candles. He loves 'spooky' stories, as he
calls them. We take turns and tell each other stories. It gives
him the chance to use his imagination (mine too) and also gives
us a little bonding time.

Oh yeah, I just went and checked..My bible WAS written in English.
Seeing as that's all I can read and I can read it

[This message has been edited by Mitro Jellywadder (edited 10-23-2001).]
Old 10-23-2001, 02:28 PM   #26
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I Love Blink 182, But Im not the biggest fan of Explicit Lyrics. I Refuse To Listen To Limp Bizkit and Eminem Because There Is A F*** Every Two Words. Just Make Sure You Dont Listen To A Song By Blink 182 Called 'Family Reunion'. It takes the mick with explicit lyrics. Try listning when your son is safely out of earshot.

------------------
The Clan HADB Cleric Of Sephiroth + Nutella

BINKY The Founding Member, Cheif Architect AND Official Chanter Of O.R.T

The Order Of Royal Toads
Old 10-23-2001, 02:31 PM   #27
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Drake, the one is based on meaningless addition of an inappropriate word to the communication. The other is a completley appropriate sentence. You see that word tossed into people's speech all the time these days and it is either a fill word or replaces something that might be more interesting and would certainly show more grasp of the language. Frankly, I tend to agree with DM, it doesn't sound excessively intelligent to me when I hear a kid saying things like "F***! I f*ing loved the f*ing concert!" I just sounds like they were too lazy to think of useful vocabulary! It's so overused these days that even the 'colorful or 'shock' value seem to be faded.

Cloudy

Yes, I Totally Agree With Cloudy, Excessive Swearing Is Just A Way Of Covering Up A Bad Vocabulary And A Childhood Where They Wernt Hugged Much... Either That Or They Were Hugged Too Much. I do mean this seriously, if a parent Loves the child too much then the child will just think he's above rules, and turn into some kind of rebel.

------------------
The Clan HADB Cleric Of Sephiroth + Nutella

BINKY The Founding Member, Cheif Architect AND Official Chanter Of O.R.T

The Order Of Royal Toads
Old 10-23-2001, 02:46 PM   #28
Drake
Baaz Draconian

first off I would like to stress that I'm not saying that "hey your wrong!" I'm just expressing it how I see it through my eyes. secondly I might be a bit repetitive in this post repetitive in this post, but that's just because I want to answer all that was said...and I mean all.

DragonMage, I personaly find that it's the tone of voice that deturmands weither anger is invalved or not. and yes there are other words one can use but there not as fun ok realy yes there other words but what I'm trying to stress is that it doesn't matter wheither you say "that's fucked up" or "that's messed up" unless you let it matter.
picture this your walking down the street you see some kids about ages 12-15 you hear them talking one says "oh now that's ■■■■■■■ funny" and you hear another say "oh now that's rather funny" would you think that the one that said ■■■■ is any less smart or that he is any differnet in anyway? if so why?

Mitro Jellywadder, "The use of most swear words are used in anger" I suppose it all depands on where you are cause here and most places I've been there are usualy used for jokes and to stress meanings. "It's annoying
to sit and listen to people talk and every third word is a
swear word" that's what I'm talking about it's only annoying because you let it get to you.

example 1. "last night I was watching this documantory on some tigers in the wild and in that documantory they showd to tigers having sex. After that there was a program about sewage managment inwitch they showd how much crap is dump out per day."

exqample 2. "last night I was watching this documantory on some tigers in the wild and in that documantory they showd to tigers ■■■■■■■. After that there was a program about sewage managment inwitch they showd how much shit is dumped per day."

not exactly what I would call a lively conversation but I think I'm making my point. different words same perppose. ■■■■=sex shit=crap
so it's your choice to get annoyed if some one uses ■■■■ instead of sex or shit instead of crap.

"Dam and damn are two different words" I was talking about how it's said, but oops sorry I try will watch my spelling.

"Any adult has the right to express themselves any way they want to. Children
do not, nor do should they be subjected to it" first off, I REALY think that children have the right to express themselves(and I don't mean going against there parents wishes)I mean in how they act, dress and think. As for being subject to it, I don't think there is much choice in that matter. they will hear and see it in school, tv and yes music. just because there is a blip sound does not mean they will not be subject to the meaning. any one with an IQ of 2 can tell what was going to be said anyway.

Melusine, "don't get too philosophical - this quibbling on the actual meanings of words will get you nowhere in this case" I can try can't I? "I would say that they do have actual meanings, and offensive ones at that" uh it's like I have said some where in this text that it's only offensive if you let be or if it's ment that way.
"If you call your grandmother a fuckin bitch, it is most definitely inappropriate" well yeah and I'm not saying it wouldn't. I'm just saying that it's not the fact that you used the words fuckin bitch that's bad, it's the fact that you said something bad at all. If you used the words sex having female dog. it would be just as bad if you said it in anger.
"if you use 'fuckin' in a 'meaningless' way, as in 'that was fuckin great!' (I'd argue it is not meaningless, as it's an adjective to fortify the word great, but I can see that by meaningless you mean one could just as easily use a non-swearword like 'really')" thank you!!! finaly some one has a small idea of what I'm trying to say!! yes!
"ain't' is not meaningless, it is a verbform that means the same as 'am not'. What you mean is that it's grammatically incorrect" hehe oops

Magik, "in general swearing in a public forum or arena is only used by those who are too lazy to structure a reasonably intelligent comment" first off, there is NOTHING wrong with being lazy . some of the most intelligent people I've met have had a real proble spelling, so they use other words to stress there points. not nessesarly swear words but other less intelligent words.

Sir Kenyth, "He is, like other 10 year olds, fascinated with songs that use lots of cuss words" I don't know your kid but maybe he and other 10 year olds are fascinated with the explicit lyrics because they are considured explicit.

uh ok I'm done, sorry for being so repetitive but I'm in a typing type of mood. and remember that this is just the way I see things, I'm not saying that any one here is stupid or just flat out wrong.

------------------

Drake A.K.A. bocaj A.K.A MR.Drake
the HADB thug and keeper of Neil
Old 10-23-2001, 02:56 PM   #29
Dramnek_Ulk

I have no problem with swearing in music as long as I don’t have to listen to it. Swearing is used in place of proper lyrics when people cant think of anything appropriate to put. Sometimes swearing in music can be appropriate but very rarely so and certainly not more than 1 swear word per song.

------------------

In nomine Imperatis, guard our armour and our gaze; lubricate our projectile weapons that they do not jam. Bless and brighten the beams of our lasers; fiat lux in tenebris.
He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium to whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day.

Old 10-23-2001, 03:07 PM   #30
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

To answer your question to me, Drake dear: I guess it's just that I find that MOST of the time, I don't see the point in cussing. Saying a 'dirty' word (as they are viewed by society) is usually for attention-getting purposes. Even if YOU don't mean it to be that way, society in general is going to disapprove. Now, if someone runs over your foot with a car, I agree, even I'd offer up an invective.

However, MOST of the time, these words are used to get attention or to be ugly. I don't think someone who cusses is ignorant, but it certainly makes the person swearing SEEM so. I appreciate a better usage of language (any language) than that. You know good and well that these words are considered 'bad', but some may use them NOT for making a point or in the extreme. I'm not saying don't ever swear. I'm saying - use in moderation or risk appearing childish and/or foolish for the rest of your life. Most mature people (which includes teens, too), see my point. I'm sure you do, too.

But I also see your point. They are just words. Most of them are in the dictionary. But should you use them in daily life....frequently? No. Use your intelligence and express yourself better. Even eminem admits he only swears to get the attention to his music. Sad, that. That the 'popular majority' of our youth seems to WANT to hear swearing in their music.

And lest you think I point fingers - yes, I cussed like a sailor (behind my parents back) when I was growing up. The thrill was in out-cussing your friends and in doing what you knew your parents disapproved of. LOL!!! There's nothing wrong with that, imo, so long as it doesn't become such a habit that it invades and takes over your vocabulary. As I got older, I realized people were offended by me and didn't want to be around me for my foul mouth. They also wouldn't take me seriously or treat me in an adult fashion. THUS the reason I point this out to you, lest you have the same problems. Okay? Friends?

OT: Glad to see Neil is back.

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 10-23-2001).]