Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2001, 09:46 AM   #1
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Spoilers

Ok, I tried the final fight with Irenicus for the first time yesterday and he cleaned my clock. I didn't take anybody down. (I really didn't expect to just mainly seeing what it was like). OK, I've got me (a 21 level Monk), Minsc, Keldorn wielding Carsomyr, Jahiera, Imoen, and Aerie. All are maxed out on levels. Also, good idea or bad idea to turn into the slayer at the end? I've never done that because I am lawful good, but I was thinking what the hell it's the end of the game. Opinions? Advice and hints are most welcome. I want to finish the damn thing!

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
GMDLM

Old 05-07-2001, 09:49 AM   #2
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

OK

Turning into the Slayer form ----> BAD! at this point in the game, it will swtich your alignment to evil.

Your party will do well in the final fight, let me grab some and I'll give some strat tips.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Phil
Old 05-07-2001, 09:52 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
OK

Turning into the Slayer form ----> BAD! at this point in the game, it will swtich your alignment to evil.

Your party will do well in the final fight, let me grab some and I'll give some strat tips.

-----------------------------------------
I turned into the slayer and my aligment stayed the same, a bug perhaps?

Old 05-07-2001, 10:00 AM   #4
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

u turn into evil????? i never realized that in all the times ive done it. i thought u just lose to rep points???? am i missing something. im pretty sure my druid is still true neutral. and some strats for last fight from what ive done are just run fight kill demons run fight summon things tire irenicus out a bit and finally get everybody to whack hiss asss at once
Old 05-07-2001, 10:40 AM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

***SPOILER***
You only turn to evil if you turn into the Slayer when Saverok prompts you to. If you turn into the Slayer to fight Irenicus at the end, then it doesn't have any effect upon your alignment. The final battle is not part of your "tests".

However, Reeka, if you intend to take your final save and replay through to ToB when it comes out...I wouldn't get too comfortable with the "turn into the Slayer" tactic. If you do, then you might not be able to beat him on right before your progression into ToB w/out using the Slayer form. If you're not worried about losing 2 rep. points, however...don't worry about it. From a role-playing perspective...if your monk is LG, I'd not change when you play through to ToB.

Tactics:

I ended up pulling a "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". Run away, run away, run away!!!

I took my party down into one of the tunnels positioned just in front of a staircase going down. I then proceeded to summon Skeletal Warriors and Elementals. I then cast Haste, Bless, Chant, Prot. from Evil 10', etc. and took my PC up to the door to open it for Irenicus. After he opened it and blew me backwards, I popped up in front of him again (the rest of my party remained in the tunnel where I had left them). After his little diatribe, I hauled my ass back to where I left my party, equipped them all with their missile weapons, moved my Skeletal warriors and Elementals to the front, and waited for the demons. When they came, they could only get at me 2 at a time. Between the summoned monsters (and my mage summoning more for backfill as they were destroyed) and my incessant pummelling with missile weapons and spells, they were toast by the time my last summoned creature was destroyed. I then sent my PC (Inquisitor), Minsc, and Jahiera up close to Irenicus to kick his butt. As they approached Aerie, Nalia, and Imoen all cast Breach. Then Imoen cast Khelben's warding whip and Nalia cast Lower Resistance, while Aerie cast Ruby Ray of Reversal. The three tanks then proceeded to whomp Irenicus/Slayer.

Whew! Now I'm tired!

BTW...don't waste your time summoning Nishruu/Hakeshar or other creatures to fight Irenicus. He just casts Death Spell and dispels them all...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-07-2001, 10:42 AM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

OK, if you switch to Slayer form, you lose rep points. If you switch too often, your alignment switches to the evil equivalent (Chaotic, Lawful, or Neutral). If you switch when you face teh Sarevok Wraith, you will change alignment when you use that tear. If you use it during the FINAL battle, my understanding is that you will also switch. (I never tried that one, so I could be wrong. I have read it on this, and other forums)

Now.

Final battle.

Just before you use the last tear ---> TANK UP! cast every protection and enhancement spell you have (It's the final fight, what are you saving them for?). After using the tear, Jon comes in, and you get the cool dialouge(sp?) "SWORD... MEET EVIL!" LOL
Pull the mages and clerics back (unless you've been using Jah as a tank). Jon brings in four buddies, demons. Prot from Undead, or Evil work here. Minsc, Keldorn and you should have no problem taking them out. Potions of extra Healing, and spells from the backups. While you fight the four, Jon will cast Misdirect, and you won't be able to target him until you take out the image of the Slayer. He does this aagain after you take out the first. Then it's you against the Slayer.

The Slayer starts out Immune to everything, but if you wait, spread out and move around til you hear the "dispell" sound, you'll be OK (That's why you need to take out the buddies first) Once the Immune from Everyhting is gone, Breach, Miscast, or Ruby to get his protective sphere down. Then pound oin the bad guy! Remember, the Slayer regenerates, fast. As much damage, as quickly as possibel is the only way.

I took him down with my good-aligned party twice. I used Vicky insteead of Jah, and Valy instead of Aerie, but the rest of the party was the saem. These strats worked for me, the second time.

The first time, I got Confused, and my main char ran around, being stupid. The rest of my party died, and when I came to , I finished the job. It's why I went solo. I replayed it, to keep the party intact.

Hop this helps, and let me know.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Phil
Old 05-07-2001, 11:00 AM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well I did as i always do it seems..
Cloudkill and monster summoning, smite evil (hehehe works pretty good here), Alot of dispelling arrows, the few you have during the game.. Really few, worth saving for this one.

Used that daystar ray, protection from evil, that one that works on netherworld creatures too..
Mm, a yes, Vorpal sword..
Carsomyr and alot of potions and keeping my poor mages and clerics out of the fight.. Alot of fireshield and imp invisbility.. In the end, only my main character stood standing..alone.. a 7th level assasin 21 lvl fighter.. OK, XP cheat I know..

Last time though I noticed that If you can get it off, disintegrate is a pretty cool spell!!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-07-2001, 11:14 AM   #8
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Guys, thanks so much. I've gotten a lot of good advice and strategy. Hopefully, I will have time tonight to try some of it out. I don't think I'll turn though. I had wondered if that might be a bad idea with the expansion coming out. I just wondered. I'll let you all know how it goes.

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
GMDLM

Old 05-07-2001, 11:25 AM   #9
Leodrish
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Two timestop and lots of protectionremovers, like khelben's warding whip, Pierce magic, ad the like is good against Irenicus. But first whack away att his buddies and use a lot of smite evil and bolts of glory.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:28 AM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

In my case, Bolt of Glory hardly had any affect against those Demons.