Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-06-2001, 10:57 AM   #21
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Unique idea: wear a normal helmet (like from helm's or lathander's knights)
and just take their plate mail, and make somebody (fighter) a knight!

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-06-2001, 02:55 PM   #22
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

To those of you who think I am "moaning" or "don't have enough heart" maybe you should read YOUR players manual oh wait my manual is still first edition, you know before the money grubbing "Wizzies of da Coast" bought TSR and RAPED it.

I quote:

"A Paladin is immune to all forms of disease" - That is good to know

"A paladin is surrounded by a aura of protection 10feet radius" - Still haven't seen this in BG2 (I play core rules BTW)

"A paladin using a holy sword projects a circle of power" - ditto

"A paladin may not possess more than 10 magical items" - I knew this and agree

"A Paladin never retains wealth" - I tithe with the best of them

"A paladin does not attract followers" - I also knew this and agree

So lets get down to the nitty gritty. Playing a Paladin in BG2 would normally mean that you would never finish the qame, Why? because a Paladin would never agree to do the things the quests require of him! He would never agree to work for the shadow thieves, In fact over half the people you can aquire as a NPC in BG2 a Paladin would kill on sight. Another thing due to the Aura that a Paladin has (AD&D Rules remember) he would be reconized as a Paladin as soon as he walked into the Sacred Heart and would be treated differently as would say a THIEF!

It just doesn't happen. I walked into the Sacred Heart with a Chaotic Evil character and was treated just the same as with my Paladin....BS!! Also I really don't think Bodi would even approach a Paladin to make her offer. So guys and girls who is fooling who here? I love the game and I started playing D&D back in the days of the Blue box, but the designers spent to much time working on the romance aspect and didn't push the game to the limit that they could have. I think BG2 is a massive improvement over BG1, but it still is a unpolished diamond. I hope NWN finally shows us the way, because they should not even have let us play anything other than a CG fighter (I read the book...) for the quests to work properly.

Oh yeah to hammer my point down, The first time I played I chose a Cleric of Helm...I went to the temple of Helm and my character was given the option to ask "What does Helm have to offer" WTF I WAS A CLERIC OF HELM!! I think at 9th level that would be a dialog option that shouldn't have been offered to me...The designers screwed up the reactions/dialog options and you can not tell me any different.

------------------
"You must gather your party before venturing forth"

[This message has been edited by Wurm (edited 09-06-2001).]
Old 09-06-2001, 04:40 PM   #23
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

ya cannot make this game too perfect

why don't you list the good things in this game inseatd of these flaws?

then again, you have a point there. they might need soma fixing. well, we can have our own design in NWN, and lets see howmuch better we do.

bioware guys would porbally laugh behind their computer desk "yeah, sucker! now you know what it is like to design a game! BUAHAHAHAHA."
Old 09-07-2001, 12:49 AM   #24
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
1)ya cannot make this game too perfect

2)why don't you list the good things in this game insead of these flaws?
1) Yes you can! (And what I am talking about couldn't be too hard to do.)

2) And that would take to long to type!

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 12:59 AM   #25
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Wurm:
1) Yes you can! (And what I am talking about couldn't be too hard to do.)

2) And that would take to long to type!

true

I like your sig. it is the most screw up line of the year

Old 09-07-2001, 03:05 AM   #26
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:

I like your sig. it is the most screwed up line of the year

You mean the most ANNOYING!!

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 03:29 AM   #27
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

well, your first post sounded whiny so thats what people responded to.

i completely agree on the clueless dialogs that sometimes occur. all it takes is a mere one sentence in the dialog script to weed out those things, and it should have been done.

i started with the pink box then the blue box (wrong order?) way back in what, '80? back when class and race were the same thing (dwarf-fighter, elf-f/mu, halfling-thief, etc). the fact is, bg got made because a corporation took tsr over, and with that comes the desire to make money. bg wouldnt be half the game it is if they had taken out the interactions and spent their time on nailing down every single rule occurance.

btw, scripting and dialog is relatively easy once you break through the newbie barrier. give it a shot. as you point out, there are many things that could be cleaned up.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:37 AM   #28
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wurm:
To those of you who think I am "moaning" or "don't have enough heart" maybe you should read YOUR players manual oh wait my manual is still first edition, you know before the money grubbing "Wizzies of da Coast" bought TSR and RAPED it.

I don't think people were having a go at you for being a whinger, Wurm. Your first post sounded like you were frustrated and not getting what you could out of the paladin character, WITHIN THE GAME LIMITS. It would have been impossible to implement all those paladin abilities for game balance, like you said a paladin would not be eligible for certain critical path quests. So Bio had to draw the line somewhere to make the class playable. But within the game limits, the paladin class can be quite enjoyable and different.

Just chill, baby!

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 04:52 AM   #29
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Amergin:
bg got made because a corporation took tsr over
I do not agree, BG was made before WoC took over TSR. It was made under license from TSR by Interplay's Black Isle. And I wasn't refering to BG the game with my statement I was refering to AD&D. If WoC could find some way to get away with it, AD&D would be a CGG just like Magic the Gathering and we would all be paying 15 dollars a smack to buy 50 decks with the Players Handbook split between them. (This is a Rant so pay it no mind if you happen to love the WoC profit hounds.) Take a look at what they have done since taking over.. Books that might of been finished in a triology are broken up into 5 to 6 books that are under 150 pages long (you know like the old read and choose your path adventure books of the late 80's) and sold for FULL PRICE!

And don't even get me started on Magic the Gathering or the Pokeman card games.

So to be fair WoC has pumped money into our beloved games but I still don't like the way they do business!

And maybe I did sound whiny in my first post, but the Paladin could of and should have been done better than it was. Paladins are some of the coolest if not hardest characters to play if you have a good DM and face it the PC through the designers is the DM. And in the case of the Paladin they were sleeping on the job.

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 04:16 PM   #30
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

Its I restarted as a Lawful EVIL fighter, I just have to see Edwin turn into a girl for myself!

------------------