Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Imrahil
Elminster

Default Oh, Aerie, I've missed you, too...

Hey, is anyone still here?

I recently bought the Enhanced Edition of BGI & BGII & am replaying them. I played a Good character through BGI & an Evil character, & am just now beginning my Good Guy run through BGII. I have recently rescued Aerie. Her wings have been clipped... I'm totally gonna romance her. I just wonder why, oh why, did Irenicus insist on taking Imoen?!?

OK, I remember far too much to make it new, but I've forgotten enough to make it fun again! Any "old school" people playing the Enhanced Editions? Or even new school people that have discovered them for the first time?
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: Oh, Aerie, I've missed you, too...

I haven't gotten the enhanced editions yet, but I'm *still* replaying the originals (with mods).

How are the EEs?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #3
Imrahil
Elminster

Well, what it mostly does it let you play BG & BGII on today's computers, so if you are already able to play & replay it, you probably don't need it.

Also, they added some new NPC's, in both BGI & BGII - a Wild Mage, a Monk, & an... anti-Paladin, I guess is the best way to describe him, Some more kits, a few more quests, some stuff I haven't seen before.

I mean I can't wholeheartedly say you NEED to go get the Enhanced Edition if you can already play the original game, but I couldn't run the original game on my current computer. It just bugged out from the get go when I tried it a few years back, so the EE editions are great for me, since the alternative was nothing.

I did wait until they were a few iterations in, both BGI & BGII are on their 3rd patch now & pretty stable (still some bugs).

Also, at least for BGII, there's a thread that shows which MODs have been updated to work with the EE edition...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discuss...tible-mod-list

That also takes you to the forums on the EE versions, so you can browse around & read up on it if you want to.

But... all that aside, anyone else replaying because of the EE's?

Last edited by Imrahil; 01-06-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:37 AM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Thanks. I might grab the EEs some time in the future, but for the moment there are still some mods I haven't tried so I'll stick with the originals.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #5
Shadow Stranger

Compatibility Mode allows you to play older games on Windows XP, I don't know how this is handled by current versions of Windows.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I have Win7x64 and the old BG games (both 1 and 2) run fine on my machine. As Shadow Stranger says, you may have to fool around with Compatibility mode though.

The only real reason for getting the EEs is the presence of new, joinable, NPCs and their Quests. These NPCs are NOT (to my knowledge) available as mods from the usual mod sources. I would imagine that is because they are proprietary to the Enhanced editions. The BG1 EE is available on Steam ... just wait for one of their sales. BG2 EE, once it's been out long enough, will also hit the Steam sales pretty soon.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:10 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFR View Post
I haven't gotten the enhanced editions yet, but I'm *still* replaying the originals (with mods).

How are the EEs?
I picked them up last year. They're good!
As addictive as ever. Some new NPCs and side quests.
I liked some of the NPCs a lot. New areas etc.
Also you can play the kits right from BG 1 which is awesome.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I also picked them up - at least BG2 with ToB - still having a tough time finding the energy to play through ToB...

What worries me is that I still know how to kill Kangaxx and which doors are booby-trapped and how to CLUA:Console my way from endless running back and forth

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFGIR View Post
I also picked them up - at least BG2 with ToB - still having a tough time finding the energy to play through ToB...

What worries me is that I still know how to kill Kangaxx and which doors are booby-trapped and how to CLUA:Console my way from endless running back and forth
Wow, yeah that's wild.
I'd forgotten a fair bit though, but would recall things once I went into an area or into a room.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Still playing it but on my tablet these days

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote