Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2001, 01:39 PM   #11
StarVid
Elminster

How about a human Archer dualed to a Cleric...talk about useless.

Though I think the plain ranger dualed to cleric can be rather munchkiny. You can hold your own in a melee, and have some good defensive magic. I hate to say it though, but I think mages get better protection spells. Too bad you can't be a ranger/mage or something.

As for the jester, I never thought of that strategy. That's actually a pretty cool tactic. It almost makes me wanna play one. Having a Jester focusing on Illusion and Charm magic, while whatever mage I have focuses on the attack magic. That can be a real munchkiny combo. I've noticed in BG2, you really can't have enough spellcasters. Enemies are so resistant that a lot of magic is required (if you like the spellcasters). I usually have a party consisting of 4 spellcasters (a combo of 2-3 mages and 1-1 1/2 clerics).

Old 10-10-2001, 02:11 PM   #12
Sorcerer Alex

Kensai's are pretty awful in my opinion. They're just so....so pointless

------------------

Formidable Flirty Fishy Sorcerer of the HADB

Old 10-10-2001, 02:16 PM   #13
Darth Bob
Drow Warrior

I only said I dont care for bards at al, and do not like WS's, or Inqusiters, I dont know why, they just dont do it for me at all. See, thats what's great about the game. One person can just devistate everything as one class, and be unable to do a thing as another, while somebody else would be completley the oppasit! See we all have diffrant tastes and abilites.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:24 PM   #14
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I HATE BARDS!!! I HATE HAER DALIS! I HATE... wot else do I hate? OH YEAH! I HATE BARDS!!!!!!!

Racial enemy a SQUIRREL??!!??

Horatio, Silver Ranger of the ALSB
Old 10-11-2001, 01:37 AM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

This may sound... strange... but I just do not find fun when I play with a Fighter... ...

I dunno why, I tried playing with a Dwarfen Berserker and I got bored with it by Chapter 3, so I deleted it.

*shrug*

I like my main character to have casting abilities, and I do not really like dual-classing and multi-classing.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 10-11-2001, 02:09 AM   #16
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i dont like wizard slayers, and i dont like(hate actually)kensai's. of course, ALL classes have their uses, but IMO, those two classes suck. right now, im playing a sorceror for the first time. i have only one thing to say.............these guys just whoop ass. LOTS of spells to cast, and you can pick all of your personal favorites. these guys rule.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Old 10-11-2001, 04:28 AM   #17
Rikard

Barbarian - Great Rage an 12hd is great but the fact they can were heavy armor makes him a sucky Tank (kensai don't get great armor wither but they compromise it by AC bonusses

Wizard Slayer - Worthless, why would anyone wanna slay a WizarD???? that and there are to many good magical items in the game you should try dualling into a thief with use any item

Beastmaster - I tried him, it makes you play a Ranger like he is suppost to be played (using Stealth a lot and being archery) but the cons just don;t weight up to the Ad's

Bounty Hunter - But that is due to my personal hatred towards traps

Enchanter - What use is a mage without good offencive spells?

About the assassin
Poison a weapon and backstab, there aren't many opponents who survive a *7 hit + poison damage
That is what makes them better then Swashbucklers

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Spam Sentinal too...
OMG i have to control Cloudy...

Old 10-11-2001, 04:42 AM   #18
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, do not underestimate assasins. The 7* backstab is a HUGE bonus, and poisoning means that even if for some reason the hit doesn't kill, they are virtually guaranteed to be dead in seconds. Mages especially. Really overkill with my fighter dualled to assassin.

I personally see rangers (not dualled at all) as pretty useless. Not as powerful as fighters, and their magic is basically garbage, even at a high level. They do get free two-weapon profs. but who cares?

And to those who don't like kensai's: my half-orc pure kensai's THAC0 is near -9, -7 for offhand at level 15 only. That hits virtually anything. By level 25, and with the crom fayer, he will be pure death. Im wondering just how low his THAC0 will get by the end of ToB. He also gets 9 attacks every 2 rounds. OUCH.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:51 AM   #19
StarVid
Elminster

you're right about the rangers. They were even worse in BG1 when they didn't even get the dual wield. As is I'm about to play a human ranger/cleric dualed at level 9, but it was a tough call between that (and getting druid spells), or playing a fighter/cleric and getting grand mastery. Even the kits aren't all that spectacular, though I'm sure many people, especially fans of the archer, will disagree.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:18 AM   #20
Caine
Elminster

Least Favourite Kit is the beastmaster for sure,I mean there doesnt realy seem to be a purpose for him and he sux major. Other bad kits.
Jester (terrible,terrible,terrible
And I think thats it,playing as any of these kits is as as fun as watching the teletubbies have sex,just stay away from them.