Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2001, 10:41 PM   #21
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I heard once, that if we didn't dream we'd go insane.........

I've heard that if you die in a dream that you die for real. This can't be true, though, I once had a dream that I was in the middle of a war and was shot by machine guns. The bullets burned bad when they went in, then I died. I saw my bbody and everything. Needless to say, I'm still alive.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member
Old 09-10-2001, 10:44 PM   #22
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
I heard once, that if we didn't dream we'd go insane.........

Very true. I heard someone once describe dreaming as analogous to de-fragging your PC's hard drive. A lot of data goes in every single day... visual, sensual, etc and somehow that data has to be sorted out and thought upon without the meddling of the higher functions. Perhaps, in part if nothing else, this is what dreams are.

Another point on lucid dreaming is that it is thought to interrupt this process, therefore too much lucid dreaming is bad for you, as it stops things sorting themselves naturally.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 09-10-2001, 10:45 PM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
I've heard that if you die in a dream that you die for real. This can't be true, though, I once had a dream that I was in the middle of a war and was shot by machine guns. The bullets burned bad when they went in, then I died. I saw my bbody and everything. Needless to say, I'm still alive.
Hmmm. I agree. I've "died" when falling post flight to. Woken up with a start.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-10-2001, 10:48 PM   #24
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:
Wow! Most people think I'm nuts when I talk about writing all my dreams down, especially the nightmares. They just say it's better to forget the thing, but I disagree. Our minds leap around and cartwheel while the higher functions rest, why shouldn't we capture that raw thought? Plus, like you say, it can help you to deal with a nightmare if you think about it, particularly if it's been caused by some sort of anxiety. I'll have to see if I can dig out one or two of the more family friendly ones and post 'em up sometime.

I felt the same way until I read your post! I've had a few that were really profound when put down on paper! Of course, I also had a sixth grade teacher ask me if my home life was ok after I read some short stories out loud! LOL

------------------

LH Member
Old 09-10-2001, 10:50 PM   #25
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
I love dreams where I can fly. Even though I've often lost control or fallen in them

From what I've learned, flying or floating is the only way to get around.

Oh yeah, don't try to dial a phone, it never works! Just picture the person you are trying to call!

------------------

LH Member
Old 09-10-2001, 10:54 PM   #26
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Hmmm. I agree. I've "died" when falling post flight to. Woken up with a start.

What's up with this?

Maybe on a different subject, but has anyone ever just started to drift off, then wake up in a most strange way, when all of your muscles tighten suddenly?

------------------

LH Member
Old 09-10-2001, 10:55 PM   #27
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
The most important thing that I have learned about lucid dreaming is that you can't do things like you normally would. For example, you can't walk, legs don't work. Just WANT to go somewhere and you will. Same thing for looking up, don't look up by bending your head back, you have to float to that height and see it straight on.

That always used to freak me out, because the dream seems so real! I always have difficulty in walking, it feels like my feet have been dipped in concrete. It's usually what alerts me to the fact that I'm dreaming.

------------------
Old 09-10-2001, 10:55 PM   #28
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
What's up with this?

Maybe on a different subject, but has anyone ever just started to drift off, then wake up in a most strange way, when all of your muscles tighten suddenly?
I frequently have "nap jerks". I'll be JUST ABOUT asleep and then my body will spasm and I'll wake all the way back up. It's a real pain because then I have to get all comfortable again and relax.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-10-2001, 10:56 PM   #29
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:

From what I've learned, flying or floating is the only way to get around.

Oh yeah, don't try to dial a phone, it never works! Just picture the person you are trying to call!

I was in a car with a mate driving out to Long Island the other day. He ttok a call on his phone. So I fell asleep....sort of. I was dreaming replys to his conversation. What woke me up was when he said "sorry?" and I replied again, then a "I can't hear you!" and I repeated it again.

This continued for maybe three more times before I woke up and realised his callers phone lost reception.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-10-2001, 10:57 PM   #30
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
What's up with this?

Freaky...yes I have. A lot of the time I'll be sort of half-dreaming. Like I'm walking along a pavement or something and then suddenly a footstep will slip slightly of the pavement onto the road and my whole body will jolt. Of course, that puts me wide-awake. This one seems to occur quite a bit actually.

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."