Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-08-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
booklord
Dungeon Master

I'm making progress on the game. I've onlt got four areas I haven't yet finished exploring.

Savant Tower -> I got in killed the guards, had Vi set a portal then portaled out. I'd rescue Arnika, but I'm too curious to see what will happen if I don't.
Sea Caves -> Currently in them
Rapax Away Camp -> Next on my agenda
Ascension Peak

Anyway with my party of a valkryie-samurai-monk-ranger-bard/fighter-bishop. These are my top ten toughest fight so far.

#10) Death Lord - Mountain Wilderness
In here mainly because of the disaster I faced when fighting him the first time. My samurai was driven insane in the first round and immediately started critically hitting his fellow party members. The second time I faced him I wised up. The super-speedy monk should cast soul shield not the much slower bishop!

#9) Nightmares - Swamp
Sometimes a monster can catch you off guard. "Oh look? Nightmares! Front Line get ready! These guys are about to charge and kick you" Well, now I know better! But before the bishop belatedly got soul shield up in the second round half the group was insane or working for the other side! The group barely survived. Honorable mention must go to a ring of sanity. A most valuable item for a bard to have.

#8) Screaming heads - Sige - Cemetary
What a disaster! The group was relatively low level, did not have soul shield yet. Half the group was driven insane and mamaged to kill the other half. I'm more experienced now and know better. If your entire front line goes insane, stop fighting and run (in circles if you have to) until the effects wear off.

#7) Rattkin Breeders - RAttkin Treehouse
What can I say they were tough. The damage they were inflicting was enough to take my a front line character and nearly kill them. Myles suffered one of his many deaths here. The battle might have proved another reload, but my bishop came through in the end. Multiple Insanity spells crippled the breeders and even got them to wipe out the rattkin archers for me.

#6) Crimson Poppies - Road to Arnika
Immune to the poet's lute, capable of putting most of the group asleep, not bad at melee. For a low level group going from the monastery to Arnika for the first time these guys can be tough!

#5) Rapax Horde - Rapax Rift
Over 20 rapax including beserkers, priestesses, samurai, and warlocks in an open area with no cover. Never has an elemental shield recieved such a work out! The sheer volume of spells caused status effects even through the shield. I also really came to know one of my groups primary weaknesses. With 2 stealthed monks and a non-stealthed samurai (one RFS-81) in the front position
you can expect 90% of the enemy melee attacks to be directed at the samurai! Medic!

#4) Juggernaut & rank weeds - Arnika Trynton Road
My group was young! Inexperienced! Cocky! They charged the enemy without a second thought. Next thing I know, most of the group is nauseated and I'm surrounded by enemies with massive hp and the ability to knock you out when they hit you. The battle was won barely, but what a fight! After destroying the rank weeds with a massed magical assault, the bard and bishop managed to keep the juggernauts disabled enough with sleep music and insanity spells that the warriors had a fighting chance.

#3) Death Rays - Umpani Sea Tunnels
Anything that can cast Death cloud deserves an entry on this list. I ran into 6 of these nasties and they made the psi sharks look like sissies! Part of the fault was mine however. Since I was underwater I had decided to remove much of my divine protection misc items to make room for scuba gear. ( Well, that and RFS-81 is one big wimp when it comes to divine magic. ) After the battle and the subsequent resurrections I rectified that situation by giving divine protection items priority over other Misc items.

#2) Sorceress - Death Lords - Cultists - Southeast wilderness
I hate death cloud. Even if sould shield and elemental shield at full the odds are someone is going to die. I lost the first battle but won the second. In this instance my bishop's lack of speed proved an asset. He could cast purify air spells in the same round as the death lord and sorceress cast their cloud spells thus negating the clouds before they could have any effect! Did I mention that RFS-81 is a divine magic wimp?

#1) Oak Saplings - Trynnie soldiers - Tyrnnie Treehouse
Ah Oak Saplings with their crush spells and multiple hp! Before anyone in the group could cast Elemental shield too! And too pour salt on the wound... a legion of friendly trynnie between the oak saplings and my warriors. It took only a few rounds to see this battle was hopeless. So I took the better part of valor and fled into a nearby treehouse. Several potions and dead trynnie later the oak Saplings followed me in. And even then it was close!
booklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

If you don't disarm the tower, you won't ascend.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
bladedog
Dungeon Master

******* POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING *********

Well I just completed the game for the first time the other night.

Not sure I can remember the 10 hardest fights, but in no particular order here are a few of my toughies:

1) Nessie. Good god I had to reload about 15 times to get past that monster. Ended up relying entirely on my Liz Fighter with superman and restoration potions galore. The others did what they could to help but they were just slowly blown away by attacks or spells. The party was 13th to 15th level at the time.

2) Deathsting Apuses. At the time I met them (outside Martens Bluff at approx level 10/11) they were a very serious proposition. Even towards the end of the game I always took care whenever I saw them.

3) Rinjin. Again I first met them at a fairly low level (10 ish, on the beach in the swamp) and I got wasted. I thought I'd never beat them. Of course once I actually arrived in Bayjin I was 15+ level and I wiped the floor with them.

4) The Temple. Not tough in terms of multiple deaths etc. Just in terms of how long the fight took. I must have spent about an hour fighting that battle, what with all the elementals being created etc.

There are also a couple on Ascension Peak but since you've not been there yet I don't want to spoil it any further. All I will say is that the fights everyone goes on about there were not the worst for me.

I agree with you about the Arnika and Arnika/Trynton road, I got stuck trying to get past some brigands that just seemed that little too tough for the party until I got into a corner and fought them one by one. And the Nightmares, although thankfully they usually just put their protect spells up and ran away.
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Humm.. tough one..
yeah, the temple is definatly up there. The rest I probably chose to forget!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
booklord
Dungeon Master

I averaged 20th level when I faced Nessie and I found it rather easy. ( I had done the Rapax areas first. ) Nessie opened with an earthquake spell. I was surprised as I didn't expect Nessie to use spells like that but the damage wasn't that bad. The Dulcimer of Mending completely erased it the next round. That's all nessie did. She used her breath weapon and cast Earthquake spells. ( which didn't hurt nearly as much once I got Elemental shield up ) She never used a melee attack.

Meanwhile my melee fighters went to town on poor Nessie with the aid of a full power haste spell. ( Scatter's right haste didn't work )

2 Zaitcho Bo weilding Monks
1 Light sword weilding samurai
2 Dread Spear weilding valkryie ( one hexed )
1 mystic arrow firing ranger.
1 Giant Sword weilding Mook bard / fighter that managed only to attack once or twice as she was busy healing.

finished Nessie in four rounds. The samurai went into full lightning strike mode at the beginning of the last round and finished Nessie off.

Another battle that didn't make the cut was Al-Sedexus. She was tough but she spent all her time bashing my poor samurai. ( the character who had been with her ) She completely ignored everyone else only pausing to summon a group of templar. ( who spent the entire battle plinking uselessly against the group's elemental shield ). Well, the samurai at this point was used to being picked on by rapax. He had 5 restoration potions in his inventory and just kept healing himself. Meanwhile the bishop cast body of stone on him and Vi cast guardian angel. And still she kept attacking him! Ah poor al-sedexus she just wasn't that smart.

Quote:
If you don't disarm the tower, you won't ascend
Yeah but I figure I'll save right before the ascending part. I want to see what happens if I blow up the planet. Then I'll reload and ascend.

[ 07-09-2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: booklord ]
Old 07-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
DBear
Drow Warrior

Top 10 fights in the game

10 Dark Savant. For being the main villain, shoulda been tougher.
9 Don Barlone and Milano Calzone. Just hope you get lucky with a deathbomb or something like that.
8 Nessie. Hope she doesn't swallow you.
7 Rynjin leader and friends
6 Sea Caves main battle. Lotsa undead.
5 Rapax Castle, before becoming Templar. Hordes of 'em, tough, and trying to keep Ferro alive.
4 Rapax Away Camp
3 Sorceress and friends in Temple.
2 Rapax Prince and friends
1 Souldrinker. Kills half of party outright, turncoats the other half. NOT fun.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:39 AM   #7
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Booklord

Where did you get the 2nd Z-Bo from please? Thought there was only one in the game?

Thanks.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #8
booklord
Dungeon Master

@Krull

Random item from the Queen's chest in the Upper Level of Rapax Castle. ( I actually got it almost right after I got the first one with the deposit slip ) My original intention was to go martial arts all the way, but after testing these bos in battle I decided they were too powerful to pass up.

@bladedog

I'm beginning to think Nessie really took it easy on me.... I too met the rynjin in the swamp around 10th level, but I was fortunate enough too meet a small group first and then a short time later run into a larger group. ( I only had one character capable of teleport and I wanted to keep Vi in the group so I didn't go to Bayjin til much later. ) Anyway I wasn't caught off guard by their psychic powers and got soul shield up mighty fast. Never had a problem with deathsting apuses. ( Missile shield does great against them ) As for Arnika road, my bishop and bard had a stanima-poet's lute combo that disabled the bandits. But those damn Crimson Poppies.....

@DBear

I didn't fight Don Barlone. No character wanted the cane of corpus. As for the fight keeping Ferro alive. It was tough keeping Ferro alive, but it wasn't particularly dangerous. The narrow hallways kept the rapax from grouping up on me like they did during the really big fight at Rapax Rift.

[ 07-09-2004, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: booklord ]
Old 07-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #9
bladedog
Dungeon Master

Booklord, I kept on hammering up the missile sheild (really kept that + Enchanted Blade + Magic Screen + Armour thingy up all the time) but early on if a deathsting got through my party seemed especially susceptible. Later on it was more like pin-pricks but I always made a point of wasting them first.

I never found the poets lute effective enough, but the sirens wail now that was fun. Anyone else notice though that if you make a monster insane he might still hit you anyway and if he lashed out at a fellow monster he invariably missed or hit with no/minimal damage. Not the same story when it happens to the party.
In general it was my ranger or priest who got insane or turncoat, and that was never a massive problem. But once or twice it was my monk or fighter and they served as a welcome reminder to keep rings of sanity at the ready.
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #10
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

[QUOTE]Originally posted by booklord:
[QB] Meanwhile my melee fighters went to town on poor Nessie with the aid of a full power haste spell. [QE]

not. No haste underwater.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote