Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I am very sad to be bringing this news, but he liked Ironworks and the people here and said goodbye so quietly...

I want to let you all know that I got notification from his estate, that Animal passed away last night at 2:30 AM.

Animal was a very private person and a very humble one when it came to himself. He rarely boasted or bragged about himself, his business or his life. The things he told us, he simply told us, without embellishment. He loved his cars, his beer and his daughter, in reverse order. [img]smile.gif[/img]

He raised that daughter alone after losing his beloved wife only a few years after their child was born. He was a dedicated father, a good man and I know those of us who knew him, even for a little while, admired him in a number of ways.

I will miss this giant of a man... and am very sorry to have to tell you he's gone. But he's not in pain anymore and that was something he looked forward to.

His last words to us were that we should not take life for granted. Wise words, because life is short even in the best scenario.

Rest in Peace, Mark, we will miss you.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Sad news indeed. Undermountain just won't be the same without the DragonLord. That time when you almost squashed my halfling with your clawed feet was one of those great online moments I won't forget. Rest in peace Animal.

[ 03-07-2005, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Rest in peace dear friend.

I will forever miss your presence here on Ironworks and when we could meet up online in the Undermountain mod.

The pain is over now you are free.

Rest in Peace Mark, a great man and a great friend.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Oh god, I didn't know it was going to be so soon. We were chatting in PM a little over a week ago.

He knows that I told him that I was going to honor him with a level of Undermountain dedicated to him in EfU, and his character would be in the mod with a statue of him. He said he would really like that. It's my way of remembering him in my way, since I saw him adventure through my NWN mod SOOOOO many times. I hope it gave him some fun, and took his mind off the illness, even for a few hours.

This is the first friend that I never even met that has died--and to tell you the truth, I never really thought I would be affected by the death of someone I never met face to face, but damn, the day he PM'ed me, I was so shocked, sad and just stunned. It was all I thought about.

I am now retiring Animal's username--I will keep his account open, but no one else can use the name Animal ever here on IW.

God, a sad day. Mark, old pal, take care. I'll always remember the awesome times we had, and watching you and the group in EfU having fun!

Long live the Dragonlord!!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:43 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

He loved Undermountain and loved to roleplay. I think the memorial there is a wonderful tribute and one that's very fitting.

It was IN the Yawning Portal of EfU that he first told me he was going to leave us. We were standing near Durnan's counter when he told me. It was in EfU that he told me he felt comfortable enough to talk to me about it the same day he found out that he was terminal. He was still in shock and a little incoherent, but it all seemed to be easier for him to talk there than anyplace else. I offered to go to chat or email if it would help, but he talked there...So I think it's more than fitting..it's just right, Dan. It's just right. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I hadn't spoken with him in over a year. He was a special person and it saddens me to hear this news.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to delete any of his PMs to me now. Seems it's all that remains now and I just want to keep them. I miss our chats, he was so helpful and entertaining to talk to. He never told me right away about his illness, instead he was more interested in helping me with whatever trouble or problem I was dealing with at the time, in our chats. He never said a word. I so wish he did, he really wanted me to play the Undermountain with him and I said I would, eventually. Did not know there was a time limit. And when he finally did tell me, I was floored and devastated. Did not know what to say. I ended up pushing him for a second opinion, I simply could not accept that there was nothing that could be done. I was so upset and he then replied back to me apologizing he upset me!!!!! Oh man then I felt like crap cause I was just showing my care and did not mean for it to affect him that way. Just goes to show what a nice, unselfish guy he was. It just hit me really hard, I mean he was 36 dammit! 36. I can't tell yall how sad I've been over this, but unable to speak about it publicly, in respect for him and his privacy. We both watched Overhaulin on The Discovery Channel (or A&E, whatever), and would chat about it in PMs. He was good at pimping out rides himself. He was proud of his rides, and I can't blame him. God to think of us laughing and having fun talking about cars just 6 months ago, and all was just fine... And we kept chatting now and then every few weeks to keep in touch, and it still was fine, far as I knew anyways. He talked about so many things too, but not his illness, he kept that secret from me for some reason for awhile. Again, I am devastated and having a difficult time dealing internally with it all. He was just such a cool guy, such a young guy, I will miss him so much.

God Bless You Animal, I guess Heaven needed another Angel....

[ 03-07-2005, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

That is terribly sad and tragic news, Cloudy. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

Even though he and I disagreed politically, I had a tremendous amount of respect for Animal. As you say, he was very private with his personal life, but I know he overcame many hardships in his life and was - by every account imaginable - a very successful businessman and father.

I did not realize he was suffering poor health. I am glad he is no longer suffering, but his absence creates a void here that will never be completely filled.

Perhaps we could create a Memorial Thread or link for Animal and any other IW'ers that pass away. Something to honor their contribution to our corner of the internet that still respects the privacy he treasured.

Or perhaps we could do a card (either real or virtual) to send to his daughter to let her know how much her dad was loved and respected by others.

Until then, I can only echo your own sentiments....

He will be missed. [img]graemlins/sadwave.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Damn, this sucks
Animal was the first person to ever PM me and we chatted about WarHammer(I think)
Thats a really nice thing your doing Z (dedicating EFU stuff )
Rest in peace Animal

EDIT: Just a question...
does anone know how old his daughter is?
Just wondering.

[ 03-07-2005, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

If you wish, you can make a donation to Save the Children Fund, Cerek. That's what he wanted. [img]smile.gif[/img]