Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 08-21-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I got juiced up to play my solo paladin again, and for those who read my thread on it several months ago I have dumped the cleric/mage (decided to stay solo) and am in lower dorn's.

Well, heres the deal. I'm level 30 with an unbuffed AC of -19 (I grabbed the Glory of Suffering when I got the Pale Justice). Here's the deal: I attacked malavon, whupped his similacrum, demolished his golems, obliterated his stalkers, annihilated his hulks, looted his chamber, then went out to fight him. Hit him a bit, he teleports, and suddenly...

I get attacked by a chap by the name of Illair (or Ildair or Iddair or something). Well, this stoneskinned guy busts out a 80 damage prismatic spray, followed by summoning up a bunch of elementals and hulks (which confused me), and finished me off with a 173 damage freezing orb (and I resisted a good bit more, too.

Who in the hell is this guy???

Okay, [/rant] time. I probably will beat him somehow before someone replies, I'm just confused on how I was hit for 280+ damage by someone who I have never encountered in a game before.

EDIT: second try I got him, but Mally himself managed to petrify me. This could come down to luck . Oh, and I realized that I am resisting well over 60% of the cold damage, so Illair in the above example was actually hitting me for... 400 damage. Wow.

EDIT2: hey cool, I'm a few colored stars.

[ 08-21-2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh, Illair, i know him. He was that weapon of mass destruction Malavon was keeping in his used chamber pot
Old 08-22-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I don't think I've every heard of Illair, either. Of course, it has been nearly a year since I was last engaged in IWD.

How is the paladin faring as far as physical resistances are concerned?

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Jaguar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In lieu of bumping the thread I started earlier (thanks for your quick reply, Marty! ), I'd like to ask a question about fewer players in the party and XP.

In the old, first-edition rules, you would divide the XP of the creature killed by the number of party members. Does this still apply (in other words, 3 characters in the party will individually receive twice as much XP than a full party of six)? Last D&D game for me was the original pen-and-paper version (that I found much more satisfying, I might add...can't replace imagination with computer AI or even the best of graphics...)

Thanks again for your help earlier, Marty (and thanks to Serak and Brainless One, too).

[ 08-22-2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]
Music to my ears; \"I love you, daddy.\"<br /><br />--Holly, my three-year old baby.<br /><br />Visit my friends and I at [url]\"http://www.golom.com/forums\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.golom.com/forums</a>
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Oh yea, the xp is still divided. That's why I'm maxed out at Mally, I only have one guy [img]smile.gif[/img]

Azred, I am actually not doing too well in the physical resistances. I am getting 10% to all from the Glory, and an extra 10% to crushing from my shield. Is there an item or two that I missed?

Anyways, I just beat the pair of party poopers. Illair, fortuanately, fell under a pair of criticals (at 25 str they are going for 66-ish damage). Malavon is also a problem, since he likes to Rage me for 100+ damage, but I only got hit by one (avoided the second), used lay on hands for 60 life, and finished him. It was tough to finish him before I got hit with a petrify.

It turns out that the girdle of Labelas' haste ability fizzles if used while under the influence of Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. Haste helped a lot

Well, I've bypassed this part of a cheasy anti-uberness part of the game. Hopefully I wont encounter any other problems.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Yes, there are quite a few items you might have discarded/missed that offer increased resistance to various attack forms. The best one--the Bone Marrow Belt--you can't use due to your alignment. Still, the more you resist the longer you'll live and/or the less you'll have to heal yourself. Anyway....

Once you pass Malavon it's fairly easy going through the rest of Lower Dorn.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh, besides, IIRC Illair is aded in heart of fury mode and he also gets aded if you have a certain mod installed (don't know wich one exactly but i know there is one out there wich places heart of fury enemies and items in normal mode) or when you have finished HOW. so he's supposed to be though. I find it odd actually that the developers would make Malovan's battle even more difficult while the others are a cakewalk in comparison. I mean, maiden Ilmadia get's a few more priest on here side for crying out loud wich are easely dispatched with the right tactics.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The difficulty level affects the damage as well.

A certain formidable bug-like monster comes to mind that regularly deals 300-500 damage per hit on HoF mode. Thank goodness for resistances. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:55 AM   #9
Aerich
Lord Ao

I noticed a lot of additions to the game when I moved from Core difficulty to Insane, so the Idair inclusion doesn't surprise me. I believe he was also around on Insane, but wasn't much trouble there. In fact, I had a harder time in Marketh's Palace and in the Ilmadia area than I did with Malavon, that time around.

**SPOILERS**

Watch out for multiple Priest-Mages of Vhaerun with Ilmadia and Marketh. They are nasty pieces of work - at least lvl 13 as wizards.

My Insane-difficulty power party nearly got trashed in the fire giant fight with the additions of the priest-mages, so they weren't a cakewalk for me. They somehow got through two islands-worth of spelltraps, so maybe I was just unlucky.

[ 08-25-2005, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]