Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 11-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Second Impressions

Having run Lelianna as both, she tends to shine with daggers more. It takes a while to get her built up, but with decent daggers and armor, she's a monster. I tend to build her, though, according to my main char. When my main was a dual wielding rogue type, she used the bow.

I'd say that bow damage wasn't all it's cracked up to be, but my single highest hit was an unknown amount of damage, but my Ranger one shotted a Yellow Hurlock Alpha in the Alienage during the Final Fight plot lines. On my Profile on BioWare's site, same name as here, the highest single damage hit I got was also with my Ranger, at least, so far...Got an achievement for it, over 250.

Overall, I'm Baldur's Gate hooked on this game. Little things, like Alistairs off the cuff comment about wearing the dress and dancing if the King ordered it, when you say "I think I'd like to see that", or the NPC banter, even between Morrigan and the dog. I'm collecting up Morrigan likes gifts too, so I can spring the smell line when the camp dialog about the half eaten hare in her unmentionables comes up, just so I can see what happens. I hope I don't get turned into a toad.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Second Impressions

Press Ctrl+A To Read

Dalish Elf Origin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dplax View Post
~ I personally found the Dalish Elf origin quite short and not as good as the other two I've played so far, although it was definitely fun to play as a human-hating elf. Actually managed to have Duncan have to force me to join.
Aye... it just felt so natural to protest against Duncan's forced recruitment. It was hysterical when Duncan finally blurted out that he'll drag you screaming and kicking to Ostagar if he has to. Out of all the Origins, this is the one where it is the most natural to have a grudge against the Grey Wardens.

That said, it was extremely satisfying to have my Dalish Elf punch the daylights out of Isolde.

Dwarf Commoner Spoilers:

On a side note, my first playthrough was with a Dwarf Commoner, and it really rocked to play as the underdog who defied the caste system and rose up the ranks to become a Paragon. Facing discrimination everywhere, it was satisfying to ignore the snides and sneers and become an epic HERO who helped to save the world; silencing the disbelievers and making them eat their words, boots and feet. :p

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Doubt if this a spoiler.

I don't know whether it's the armour or the engine but everything with a red circle around it heads for my PC like wasps to a honey pot.

The encounters between destinations are the worst. I am reduced to the ancient tactic of running around like a headless chicken while the bad guys chase me and the good guys hit them as they pass.

As a tactic it's effective but it does nothing for one's dignity.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greything View Post
Doubt if this a spoiler.

I don't know whether it's the armour or the engine but everything with a red circle around it heads for my PC like wasps to a honey pot.

The encounters between destinations are the worst. I am reduced to the ancient tactic of running around like a headless chicken while the bad guys chase me and the good guys hit them as they pass.

That only works until you come up on a mixed ranged/melee/magic casting group, then...Let's just say I've seen prettier toast.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Second Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greything View Post
Doubt if this a spoiler.

You weren't specific, but when it comes to in-game cutscenes, the game will sadistically position your PC right at the forefront of the fray. This is all well and good if your PC is a tank, but Maker help you if you're a Rogue Archer.

Currently playing a Trapper Rogue/Archer, and it really sucks to be thrown in front against your better judgement. That said... I find it sad that I deal more dps with my traps/bombs than with Archery. Fun though, if I get to lead them down a hallway of meticulously laid-out traps of doom and despair.

Also, unless you're the tank, do not attack until your tank has aggro.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes. I had noticed that after cut scenes and transits my PC always ended up in front taking the initial hits.

After a few disasters I at last learned to hit the space bar immediately the scene/transit ended to pause and try to reorganise.

Mixed groups of opponents are an absolute pain. I usually get Wynne to paralyse the mage(s) then keep hitting them, sic Shale and Sten onto the heaviest hitters and go after the archers myself.

Even so, this can easily end with a lot of ugly toast crumbs littering the scenery.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #17
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My strategy is a bit different, if I have a healer spec'd mage in party. I let my main tanker, whether that's Allistair, or Shale tank the boss, and slave the healer to keeping him/her alive while I burn down any mages. That said, I've ended up with Lelianna or my dual wielding rogue tanking a few times, due to dps issues with tankers. Threaten looks good on paper, but if he's not hitting, it's moot. This is usually an issue early, more than late, however.

The cutscene propensity to ruin ambush setups is the only thing I've complained about on BioWare's little social gathering site. As a novice scripter, I could do better triggers for them. All they'd need to do is get the location of the chars in party when it's getting what chars are in party, and reset their locations after the cutscene. That said, it's not such a big deal to get through, it's just a pain in the butt.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm with you on the Threaten skill. I find the tactics screen hopeless in view of the difference in opponents and tend to manage by pausing and instructing individual party members on their next move.

I did find at first that when targeting party members on enemies my PC defaulted to Threaten. Now I make sure that the tactics for my PC and party never include it.

Heal is hard on a mage but lifeward can be a blessing.

If Bioware ever listen to you Robert, ask them to let the party have an exit when they are being pounded upon.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quite frankly, threaten is a great way to generate aggro. I use it fairly often. Just to draw a few enemies off of my rogue, if his stealth was recharging.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #20
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Threaten works, if your tanker is hitting while it's active. In my experience, if the tank's not hitting, you may as well just use Taunt as it cools down. Taunt has the advantage of being a 360 AoE, as opposed to a single target skill. Yeah, it puts a strain on a healer's MP, but at least the healer can focus on one char, instead of trying to heal the whole party.