Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-04-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
megan row
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi all,
i managed to get through the crypt and sweettalked those always-the-same-repeating ladies to open the wall. now in ishad n`ha i was just wandering around enjoying the lovely countryside, when all sudden some i don`t know whats came and killed me in a few seconds. all i try is in vain, i just can´t get rid of them. my chars are meanwhile level 7 or 6, one warrior, 1 priest, 1 wizzard, a thief and another warrior. best spell is burn or flamestrike, the priest heals and blesses (not quite successfully) and rudolph, the ratlings does nothing at all. he never can hit anyone and i guess, i cound have given the ability of lockpicking to my second warrior.
another problem for me is the lack of money. i have not even enough to pay for all identifications. do the items also work without identification? i mean, i can weat them, but i don´t know what they are doing, if they do anything.
i have read the postings concerning mantraps and salads and i am sure, if these are the same that i met.
help would be much appreciated
greetins
mr
megan row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

Ah-h-h, salads [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Yes, that's for sure. What to do?

With your party, you'd perhaps better to reach Shurugeon Castle as fast as possible. Run! Ignore the ratlings on your way and run! Once you reach the channel of water around the Castle, turn left and swim around the walls (the water contains moat piranhas, which are much stronger that the petty fish in the Valeia area, so that run on the gound around the channel and only then jump into the water). Once you have swum through the first tower, you can turn back and kill the monsters that were following you (the piranhas and, probably, some ratlings). Salads cannot follow you there.
Continue swimming through the channel until you reach a ruined wall, which allows you to enter the Castle area. You will have to kill some ghosts there. Do that and continue through the area until you reach the (closed) main gate to the Castle.
It is possible to climb the walls there. Be sure that the salads will occur down the walls in a moment. Now, you have some possibilities:
a) Use the walls as a shield. Cast a spell, hide behind the wall, heal, regenerate mana, repeat.
b) I have seen that somebody on this forum has used the drawbridge (the lever is on the walls) as a weapon: lower the drawbridge, wait until a salad enters it, rise the drawbridge, BUM, BUM, BUM [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] , next salad [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Perhaps, this method will be most efficient
Old 03-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah yes - the Rite of Passage

megan - have you done the Serpent Temple yet?

It is very tempting when you get to Ishad N'hahaha to exit out the west gate and explore but as you have noted, there are some big nasties out there that can wipe out your party before you even know they're there.

If you haven't already, finish off the stuff on the east side of Ishad N'ha to help build up your characters. Take lots of cure poison to the Serpent Temple. If you have already done the temple and really do need to start exploring west of the village - do so in daylight.
Trying to run for Shurugeon Castle is a good strategy but if you don't know how to get there, may not be that helpful.
You can try this - as you go out the west gate always stay as far to your right as possible. The path from Ishad leads west a ways and then north (to a burnt out house) and off again to the west where your options on which way to go are considerably broader. The Mantraps are lurking off to the west and a tad south, once they spot you THEY WILL HUNT YOU DOWN!! (so don't ever lead them back to the village gates!). You can avoid them for a while if you always stick to the right - that's going to take you up to the Boogre Caves which is always an interesting experience.
SAVE SAVE SAVE - use multiple slots to save your game in different places.
If you don't have any good distance spells - get them. They are most useful in fighting the Mantraps!

You might want to check out the BEST TIPS thread for ways to make $$. There are many different methods, you should find one that will be able to help you.

One good way to save on identifications it to put all items that appear to be the same into the inventory of just one character. Identifying one will then identify all identical items.

Hope that helps!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #4
megan row
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks a lot to you. maybe i should really do the serpents first.
btw what are good distance spells?
greetings
mr
megan row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Lightning, incinerate, and the storm spells are good distance spell. At your present level flamedrop will presumably be your best bet. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
Lightning, incinerate, and the storm spells are good distance spell. At your present level flamedrop will presumably be your best bet. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Those are stone distant spells you listed. There's plenty others, like incinerate, magma bomb, whirling dervish, and all the storm spells are great. The effectiveness of spells throughout the game seem to become less and less until you get the storm spells, so those are the spells you should aim for.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Guten tag Megan. Willkomen zu das IW.

Here in the area with the salads, fire spells seem to be best. Flamedrop will work but at a slow pace. As Radek pointed out, you will need to use defensive tactics to overcome them.

Gold! That is the single most annoyance in this game. In the super tips that Wyv pointed you to, one will find ways to enhance their purse.

Your "Rat" never hits? Could it be he is using dagger and not a front row combatant? Train him a little and give him a bow.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Firestorm.......worked wonders on those annoying salads......well maybe more than annoying....a lot more........

Also, I would gladly invite you, megan row, to join the ranks of the Inn Pillagers....gold shouldn't be a problem with us!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:56 AM   #9
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
Those are stone distant spells you listed. There's plenty others, like incinerate, magma bomb, whirling dervish, and all the storm spells are great. The effectiveness of spells throughout the game seem to become less and less until you get the storm spells, so those are the spells you should aim for.
I admit there was a typo. I wrote spell - I meant to write spells. I hope it is obvious that I meant all storm spells.

And furthermore incinerate is not a stone spell.

[ 03-05-2004, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 03-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yes indeedy, Megan, you've found the salads. Amazoni Mantraps, and their cousins later on, the Jungle Lilies. Both are deadly to a young party. The clue is "...and they killed me before I knew what was happening".

For a low-level party, flamedrop is absolutely the best spell to use. Why? Because it keeps on giving. Cast it on a salad, and every second (or so), the salad takes damage and has its attack disrupted. They can't fight back!

It may take a while, as Felix pointed out, but have your wizard cast flamedrop on each salad, and then keep on casting. The one thing you don't want is for the flamedrop to wear off...

And Radek, I mentioned trying to use the drawbridge as a weapon. I haven't done it yet, but the Den is getting so desperate to get rid of the remaining salads that they're willing to try almost anything...

Fire bombs are also effective against the salads. I wish I had some...

As for money, you've got a couple of options. You can put all the like items with one character, because one ID will identify all the like items. For things like arrows, potions, gems, bolts, shurikens, and throwing knives, always keep one in inventory. When you pick up more, they get added to the already-identified one, and you get free ID. Just make sure you don't give an identified item to someone with the same item unidentified -- then they all become unidentified

You can also use arbitrage, which involves your warrior going into the back room of the warrior guild to buy +1 arrows, and then selling them in the front room. There's quite a profit in those things... There's a better markup on Takekatsu arrows in the Bushi guild, so if you're a bushi guild member, that's a better place to arbitrage.

Good luck!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote