Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 04-21-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Ok, didnt want to clutter the F/D thread anymore, so I'm starting a new one here...

How is apr (attacks per round) calculated?

For mellee I think it's easy. All weapons get 1 apr. You can get extra apr if you are a high-level fighter, or have (grand)mastery in the weapon.

But how does it work for ranged? AFAIR here apr is set to 1 for sling, crossbow, throwing axe/dagger, 2 for bow, 3 for dart.
So is it like this for all classes. do you get extra apr for being a fighter, or for having mastery in ranged weapons?

[ 04-21-2006, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I'm not sure how it is in the game, but you're supposed to, according to the rules.

Also, thrown daggers should have 2 ApR.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Melee: base 1 ApR.
Ranged: bows - 2; crossbows - 1; daggers - 2; darts - 3; sling - 1; throwing axe - 1

You get an extra .5 ApR for specialization (2 PP). Warriors get an extra .5 ApR at lvl 7 and lvl 13. Fighters get an extra .5 ApR for grandmastery (5 PP).

Only warriors can go beyond the base ApR of a weapon, as they are the only classes that get specialization and advances for level. Only pureclass fighters (or high lvl fighter/X dualclasses) can get grandmastery. The ApR (and Thac0) is the primary reason to take multiclassed warriors.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:24 AM   #4
RedShift
Welcomed New User

I believe you are limited to three ranks in ranged weapons, no matter what class you are.
RedShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Howdy, RedShift. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

It's a little more complex than that. Rangers, Paladins, and multiclassed warriors get 2 ranks and single-classed fighters generally get 3 ranks. However, a sc fighter can get up to 5 ranks in the missile weapon class (slings/darts) and 5 ranks in the weapons that can be both melee and ranged (axes and daggers).

Nobody really knows why 5 PP in slings is attainable - it really should be restricted to 3 for sc fighters, just like bows and crossbows.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

ok thanks for clarifying that Aerich!

So a level 13 fighter with grandmastery in darts can have 5 apr?

Shouldn't that make taking darts more worthwile? Especially if you find a returning dart so you can save stacking up on ammo. And also considering the fact that you seem to find darts of stunning/blinding/poison under every stone you stumble upon...
Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Ultra Marine
The Magister

5 apr for darts is great but can't carry so many and I have not found a returning dart. Is there one i missed? But there is a returing dagger+4 unfortunately too late in the game.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

There are no returning darts in IWD1 - but there seems to be hundreds in IWD2.

Darts are not a good primary ranged weapon for HoF at least because it would take hundreds to bring down anything. Darts are only stackable up to 20, so inventory could be a problem unless you install the Ease-of-Use mod. Also, I don't think there is a source for "endless" magical darts in the same way that there is for sling bullets.

I tend to just sell all the darts I get. The chances of secondary effects are actually quite low.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Darts can be fun on Core Difficulty. In fact, they can be very fun indeed. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Especially the Darts of Wounding/Stunning.

Unfortunately, the main con of Darts is that the ApR is so high, but the stack size is so small. Ergo, frequent ammo reloads is required. If you seriously want to use Darts, I seriously recommend installing the Ease-of-Use Mod to save yourself a lot of grief.

Forget about it on HoF Mode though.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Since STR damage seems to apply to slings, having a grandmaster in slings sounds pretty nasty.

Of course, many use the Grandmastery in Axes and then dual class to Mage, using the throwing axe found fairly early in the game.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote