Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2006, 04:33 PM   #31
Aerich
Lord Ao

Powergaming with single class characters is certainly possible in games not going to HoF. That's because there is finite XP in the normal game, and a level 25 mage is arguably more powerful in some respects than a lvl 16/16 F/M, for example - I'm not sure that those levels correspond XP-wise, I just pulled them out of the air.

I say, the main reason for F/M over mage is ranged weapons - you don't want to waste precious spells knocking down monsters that are nearly dead or entangled, so you use weapons, and a F/M with a bow is far superior to a sc mage using a sling. Yes, other characters could do that too, but they may be busy, and your mage is really just standing around during mop-ups, which could result in more damage to the party. The second reason is for emergencies, in which the character is forced into a tanking role for a few rounds, e.g. upon entering a room. A sc mage will probably be rather ineffective and vulnerable for spell selection and HP reasons (who memorizes multiple Shocking Grasp or Ghoul Touch spells with a sc mage?), whereas a F/M might actually kill something.

Wanderon, Tensors prevents spellcasting. Aside from that, wading in is possible even on HoF (for very limited time). I prefer to cast the killer cone/fan spells instead of Burning Hands - Cone of Cold, Prismatic Spray, Sunfire, and Malavon's Rage all the way. With the right spell selection, a high level F/M can do the charge-and-kill maybe twice per rest period, depending on the enemy. This tactic is also a bit less effective on HoF, as many monsters have enough HP to survive several blasts - thereby attacking and taking down the MI + Stoneskin that much faster.

Ister put his finger on the main reason for multiclassing - versatility within the party. It is particularly necessary for thieves, as the skills are necessary but the pure thief is a weak and relatively ineffective warrior. My all sc party would be the same as Ister's, except I would trade out the bard for a thief. Not ideal, but then it's a sc party.

While such role specialization can be nice, it is difficult to maintain all the time. Your spellbomber mage may be in deep trouble if any monsters get through or around your tanks. What if you main tank gets so hurt it has to withdraw for healing? You need a fill-in tank to help your secondary one, one with the HP and melee ability to be effective. In the sc party above, the cleric would be healing up the paladin, the fighter is the secondary tank, and both the druid (cannot wear metal armour!) and the thief (cannot wear armour better than chain, few HP) are not very suitable. A mage or bard would be ok if it had all its protections going (Stoneskin and MI), but not otherwise.

A balanced party entirely of sc characters would probably get whipped by a balanced party of mc characters at most (later) stages of the game.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #32
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Ister, that single class party reminds me of my very first game. Except that I didn't play a bard, instead I had a F/T mc.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #33
Ultra Marine
The Magister

A F/M is definitely a power gamer choice.

I’ve just completed a DC9>Mage a month ago and I’m still playing a Gnome MC F/M. I’d say I prefer the MC simply because of flexibility, don’t need tensors, early access to spells, a nice helm. Tensors can be dangerous especially when you need spells and you can’t cast and a single dispel magic can turn the tide if you’re careless like me.

As far as tanking is concern, a mirror+sk+shield+blur can absorb good amount of damage. It’s a different kind of tank compared to a paladin and in some cases its better and have some tactical uses. Also allows the party to concentrate the best armor/shield to the paladin and have a second tank. This is one reason the MC is better over the DC in the start of the game even without sk.

Another advantage is the assassin trick. A hasted gnome does it best.

I’m not sure if the natural saves of a gnome works but at least it looks better than a human on the statistic screen.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #34
Dave G
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Another advantage is the assassin trick. A hasted gnome does it best.
What do you mean this? Assassin's trick?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #35
Aerich
Lord Ao

I assume that UM is referring to a mage that charges into the ranks of the enemy alone and casts all those deadly spells that are so difficult to cast in a party situation - Malavon's Rage, Sunfire, and the spray/cone spells.

The gnome is good at it because the helm provides immunity to fatigue, the downside of haste. Also, because a gnome has to be an illusionist, it will have one extra spell per level.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:03 AM   #36
Ultra Marine
The Magister

uh huh. That helm helps a lot.

Another one is to buff the F/I (don't forget improved invisibility) and arm with a poison dagger. Send him to poison somebody. Cast invisible and get out.

It can also be used to throw enemy formation out of order. Basically, they crowd around the F/I. The F/I cast invisible and get out to a strageic position and start a chain of fireballs, ice storms, whatever support the rest of the party can come up with.

The fireworks is fun.

I've tried a FMT. Works too. Less damage but with cripple.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:25 AM   #37
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Since multiclasses can advance to level 30 in all classes, aren't the triple classed characters the best?

What about a party of:

Elf FMT
1/2 Elf FMC
Human Paladin
1/2 Elf FD
1/2 Elf Bard
Human Figher(21) (dual) Thief

The last character is just to have a weaponmaster who will eventually have Evasion also. You could substitute a few different powerful characters, as he is probably the most questionable. I've thought of:

1/2 Elf Cleric/Ranger (better healing)
Gnome Fighter/Illusionist (better Mage)
Gnome Fighter/Thief (Very good Tank)
A second Elf FMT (extra Archer, since they rock)

Note: I'm not sure how good archers are in HOF mode, something that is definitely recommended for this party!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #38
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, the problem with a triple class is that it's only achieved half its potential when a single-class in the same party maxes out. You will struggle to max out a triple class on HoF, and I wouldn't use one on less than Insane difficulty.

It will be a weird dynamic in the party listed above with two sc and two tc characters. With the only cleric being a tc, you could have problems there, too. I'd be tempted to switch out the dc F/T for the mc Cleric/Ranger. You don't need two thieves, and a non-spellcasting weaponmaster with evasion is less valuable than a versatile spellcaster. The C/R can go backrow with spells, healing, and sling, middle row with static charge and weapons, or tank with spell assistance.

Archers can be very good in HoF. As you will depend on spells and summons to keep most enemies away from you, but need to take things down before they make their saves, some good ranged potential is necessary. Slings are just as effective as bows beginning in the middle stages.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:33 PM   #39
Ultra Marine
The Magister

You party has a mixture of single class, dual class and triple class. There is going to be a very unbalanced spread of experience as the single class will max off first and the triple class will have to wait very long.

That said, the FMT in itself contains an unbalance experience spread with both the thief requiring the least exp and the mage requiring the most exp. I’d say one is enough and this guy will get all the thief skills in no time. There is no need for another thief class.

If it was me, the last char would be a gnome F/I. They are excellent tank, decoy, artillery, and disabler.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #40
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm not slagging the gnome F/I, Ultra Marine, (it's one of my favourite characters) but it doesn't fit in the party above. That party listed already has 3 arcane casters, but relies on a Pally, triple-classed cleric, and a F/D for healing and buffing. The F/D can take care of the healing if you don't mind crippling its offensive potential, but the party-buffing role is woefully short.

The ideal solution for that party, IMNSHO, would be to swap out the F/M/C for a R/C and swap the F/T out for a F/Ill.