Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 08:02 PM   #1
The Dude
Elite Waterdeep Guard

spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
While trying to obtain a demon heart in the planarsphere quest those demons kept zapping me with their death gaze. Could I have used spell immunity to protect myself - if so what school.

[ 11-10-2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: The Dude ]
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 09:32 PM   #2
Ranger Drizzt Do'Urden
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hmm....find a way to rise your save throw, or perhaps Freedom of Movement will help?
Old 11-10-2002, 10:23 PM   #3
DrakenKorin
The Magister

What I used to take out the demon (I was level 9 at most at the time):

Buffed up my two meleers with chaotic commands/remove fear/misc buffs (such as chant and so on).

This generally makes them immune to the status effects of the gaze, and lets them rip the demon apart in melee. I WAS using a kensai as one of my meleers though, so you might have more trouble than me.
DrakenKorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 07:52 AM   #4
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

To answer your question, death magic should be Necromancey. Since it is a gaze attack, I don't know if Spell Immunity will work. I've never tried it. In theory, Gaze Reflection should work. There is a sure fire method that I always use, the 4th level cleric spell, Death Ward, it also has a long duration. There is a problem with fighting some Demons, they have a powerfull Dispell Magig/Effects that will erase most buffing up effects you may have. Hit hard and fast.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Telchar of Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:19 AM   #5
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Telchar of Nogrod:
Hit hard and fast.
Or get someone else to hit for you! [img]smile.gif[/img] (read: summons)
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 09:03 AM   #6
Brennihelvete

I went there when I was lv 9, but I got owned by the first golem so I left and came back when I was like lvl 13 and had no trouble killing the demons. If you cant kill them now, you could always go back when youre at a higher lvl.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:52 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brennihelvete:
I went there when I was lv 9, but I got owned by the first golem so I left and came back when I was like lvl 13 and had no trouble killing the demons. If you cant kill them now, you could always go back when youre at a higher lvl.
Ah... except he needs a Demon Heart to go back. Catch-22. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:03 AM   #8
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

Use wands like lighting, but sometimes the wands dont effect him such as the wand of heavens. cast lower resistance if u can and spells like magic missle and lighting and aganizerz scroce work if u lower his resistance. and maybe even use the horn of vahla(cant belive i said that) and blasting if u have it but only use blasting if u send in only ONE guy wiht the horn.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:03 PM   #9
The Dude
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the suggestions - here's more details.

I'm doing a solo sorc (my first) and I was level 13.

I actually did manage to kill him prior to posting - I just figured there must have been an easier way. This battle turned out harder for me than the twisted rune.

I tried immunity to necro - no good; and spell trap from Staff of Magi - also no good.

Spider spawn didn't last long enough to be very effective at tanking. Web would sometimes hold him a for a bit. And in the end, those two are what I had to make do with. I managed to get off a lower resist, greater malasion, and then an orb did him in - whew!

I guess next time the thing to do would be to bring along a potion of gaze reflection and see if it works (assuming I can get one, since I never was interested in one before I never paid enough attention to know if anyone has them) - and bring some scrolls for better summons, but I'm not sure what would really stand up to him.

>maybe even use the horn of vahla(cant belive i said that)

What's wrong with the horn? Overpowered? I haven't bothered with it to this point, but I could...

BTW - now, having played a sorc, it's pretty tough going back to a regular mage and having to deal with picking spells in advance.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 12:23 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I usually wait until level 15 before I tackle the Planar Sphere. Skeleton Warriors are awesome against Demons.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote